English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Old Rare Games

Old 20 November 2017, 10:48   #81
Solo Kazuki

Well... nobody mention one of fist games which works similar to RE (static screens and 3d objects)

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 20 November 2017, 10:53   #82
fryguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribdevil View Post
Resident Evil works very fine in my X5000 ( even, I limit the speed ) with FPSE.
It would be kinda sad if a computer with a 2000 euro price tag couldn't emulate a console game from 1996.
I think even Raspberry Pis can handle it.

Last edited by fryguy; 20 November 2017 at 13:06.
Old 20 November 2017, 11:54   #83
Miggy4eva
Amiga warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody View Post
As far as i know there is no 50 Mhz 68040. The CPU is incapable of going more than 40Mhz. All thread is just speculation. From what i remember back at the time, even PCs were not good enough to compete with Playstation 1. There was even a quote "upgrade your PC, switch to a Playstation".
OK sorry about 040 speed.
I think PC's were always more powerful than PS1. 486DX33 can run Doom probably the same as the PS1. Pentium 60 came out in 1993, PS1 came out in 1995. At that time there was already P133.
EDIT I just researched more on the internet, looked at all of this on wikipedia etc. Here are the links
Old 20 November 2017, 12:35   #84
Daedalus

Doom is a pretty terrible example since it's written for PC-style graphics systems, not the 3D acceleration of the PS1. As a result, it will always compare poorly to the PC version. Look at any of the games developed for the PS1 and later ported to the PC for a comparison in the other direction. And then that's not taking price into account - a PC capable of running Wipeout 2097 for example (3D acceleration and Pentium class CPU required) was far more expensive in 1995 than a PS1.
Old 20 November 2017, 13:56   #85
Miggy4eva
Amiga warrior

More expensive, yes, but power still doesn't compare.
No way is a PS1 more powerful than a P100 with 16 meg of ram, and a P100 was not top of the range or brand new with the PS1 came out.
Wipeout on PS1 runs in very lo res.
Old 20 November 2017, 14:50   #86
Daedalus

Well, if money's no object then there are always far more powerful systems to compare with. Of course a PC like that is far more powerful, but not every PC was automatically a Pentium, just because the top end ones were - at that time, just like now, the majority were far from the bleeding edge. Most PCs at the time would have struggled to run most Playstation games, not least because 3D acceleration wasn't all that common at the time. In your example, a P100 with 16MB RAM and no hardware acceleration would not be able to run Wipeout 2097, whereas a PS1 could. It's never quite as black and white as you seem to believe.

Wipeout 1 runs on the PC in very low res too FWIW.
Old 20 November 2017, 16:11   #87
Miggy4eva
Amiga warrior

I was rebutting the assertion that the best upgrade to your PC was to get a Playstation, in 1995. If you had a Pentium, buying a graphics card was much cheaper than buying a Playstation. I don't think the Playstation was, at any time in its life, an upgrade from a PC
Old 20 November 2017, 16:26   #88
Daedalus

Yes, which is why I said that not every PC was a top-end PC at that time, so if those sorts of games were your thing, the PS1 was a sensible upgrade. If your PC was a couple of years old, chances are it was a 486 at best. A PS1 was far cheaper than dropping £1500 on a new PC for an extra few FPS in Doom.
Old 21 December 2017, 07:10   #89
nobody

According to a game developer on the N64 conversion;

12 months work.
9 people involved.
1.000.000 $ budget.
200.000 lines of code.
Game code was written in C.

https://www.gamasutra.com/view/featu...os_.php?page=3
Old 19 April 2018, 01:32   #90
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2325 View Post
Maybe someone should try Alone in The Dark first.
I did finish the first 3 one. Really enjoyed them. Great game's atmosphere...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatterhand View Post
I am surprised no one mentioned this: [ Show youtube player ] [...] If a game boy color can do it, I'd guess a stock Amiga also could do it?
Anyway, like it has been said, it's a lot of work, not feasable for a hobbyst job.
Simply "Amazing" !!!
It reminds me that I should still have somewhere the "Tomb Raider" games they have made for the GameBoy . OK, no 3D but spirit of the game is there .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo Kazuki View Post
Well... nobody mention one of fist games which works similar to RE (static screens and 3d objects)
[ Show youtube player ]
You're right. Not the same type of game but "Raoul Dusentier" walks in 3D.

Last edited by malko; 19 April 2018 at 11:39. Reason: misprint
Old 19 April 2018, 12:50   #91
MigaTech
Only Amiga !!

Continuing what was stated in the other thread, I think the idea of using the Gameboy colour version is excellent. If this cannot be done, then it will never be done.

Those wondering what is the point, the challenge of making it possible warrants enough of a point. Let alone how many Amiga users would relish in owning, an Amiga version, of this Iconic video game!
Old 19 April 2018, 13:12   #92
Dunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by MigaTech View Post
Continuing what was stated in the other thread, I think the idea of using the Gameboy colour version is excellent. If this cannot be done, then it will never be done.

Those wondering what is the point, the challenge of making it possible warrants enough of a point. Let alone how many Amiga users would relish in owning, an Amiga version, of this Iconic video game!
But who's gonna code it? And why?
Old 19 April 2018, 19:29   #93
MigaTech
Only Amiga !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
But who's gonna code it? And why?

Someone with the skill of a GOD and for the challenge, satisfaction and knowing you are the first ever to produce an Amiga version, of this incredible video game.

Never been done before and shall never be topped, once accomplished I know it would cause a storm in the Amiga community, for sure!

As for Capcom hitting you with any stop or be stopped, I doubt it very much. The original title is over 20 years old and they left the Amiga scene years ago.

I bet if anything they would be interested in how you would make it possible, on a machine, that most didn't think could do it!
Old 19 April 2018, 20:10   #94
Amiga1992

Creators' time is better spent in doing something original.
Old 19 April 2018, 20:43   #95
Dunny

You're quite wrong if you think Capcom wouldn't come down like a ton of bricks on this. They would, and they do.
Old 19 April 2018, 21:11   #96
MigaTech
Only Amiga !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
You're quite wrong if you think Capcom wouldn't come down like a ton of bricks on this. They would, and they do.
If this was the case, I am sure you could ask permission to code a port. I doubt they would say no to an Amiga version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Creators' time is better spent in doing something original.
This is original to some extent, on account there isn't an Amiga version available.
Old 19 April 2018, 21:26   #97
Dunny

Quote:
If this was the case, I am sure you could ask permission to code a port. I doubt they would say no to an Amiga version.
You'd think, wouldn't you? I present as evidence for the defence, Mighty No. 9...

No, Capcom will absolutely not grant a license for an unofficial port of an ongoing franchise. There is such a thing as trademark protection, and Capcom are really, really aggressive about it.
Old 19 April 2018, 22:05   #98
Daedalus

Quote:
By all means, ask them yourself: licensing_eu@capcom.com
Old 20 April 2018, 09:49   #99
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

It's a good starting point, good idea
MigaTech, if you ask, let us know the answer
Old 20 April 2018, 11:07   #100
LongLifeA1200

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
By all means, ask them yourself:
Quote:
Originally Posted by malko View Post
It's a good starting point, good idea
MigaTech, if you ask, let us know the answer
MigaTech, please do not attempt to contact them or bring their attention onto the community.

They're a corporation. They only see dollar signs. They'll perceive it as depriving them of potential income.