English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 05 November 2019, 06:29   #1
donnie

Am i the only one who wants ACA1200+?

Aca500 is the best damn amiga accelerator card ever made. Its so easy to change setups, try things.

I want one with two external cf slots for my 1200.
Old 05 November 2019, 12:59   #2
Photon

Unfortunately the A1200 has no external expansion connector. But I guess a FastRAM card with the WB in flash ROM would enable boot from PCMCIA on all A1200s would be a good chicken-and-egg solution, and it would accelerate it quite a bit, especially if the RAM is as fast as other ACA. (For the internal expansion connector. The CF card would be in the PCMCIA on the side.)
Old 06 November 2019, 01:18   #3
idrougge

You already have one external slot on your A1200, why do you need two?
Old 06 November 2019, 02:45   #4
Unkown
The Old Fart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post

Greedy. Thats all some people want more than they can have.
Old 06 November 2019, 06:01   #5
donnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post

The aux slot does not need any setup. It works out of the box. And it is alot less sensitive.

Combine with the boot setup screen the removable os-card. With aca500 you dont have to use winaue to set it up and you never need to open your amiga.

Its just an extremely practical set up. If you are a novice like me.
Old 06 November 2019, 06:08   #6
donnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
Unfortunately the A1200 has no external expansion connector. But I guess a FastRAM card with the WB in flash ROM would enable boot from PCMCIA on all A1200s would be a good chicken-and-egg solution, and it would accelerate it quite a bit, especially if the RAM is as fast as other ACA. (For the internal expansion connector. The CF card would be in the PCMCIA on the side.)

Could you get the pcmcia slot to be as nonsensitive as the auxslot and work out of the box?
Old 06 November 2019, 09:37   #7
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

I have to say, although I love the ACA500+ on my A1000, I don't see a need for one on the A1200.
Old 06 November 2019, 13:38   #8
Glen M

If you mean that the ACA500 is easy to access the CF card because its external then why not just get one of those CF adapters that fits at the rear trapdoor of the A1200 (beside the mouse port). Run an IDE cable to the connector on the board and job done.
Old 06 November 2019, 14:45   #9
lord of time
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen M View Post
If you mean that the ACA500 is easy to access the CF card because its external then why not just get one of those CF adapters that fits at the rear trapdoor of the A1200 (beside the mouse port). Run an IDE cable to the connector on the board and job done.
I think he is more likely refering to the ability to install the OS and choose Kickstard from within the Accelorator - an ability the ACA500/ACA500+ devices have. I dont see much use for this on 1200 either really!
Old 07 November 2019, 00:02   #10
idrougge

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnie View Post
Combine with the boot setup screen the removable os-card. With aca500 you dont have to use winaue to set it up and you never need to open your amiga.
Who ever told you that you need WinUAE to set up a CF card?
Old 07 November 2019, 11:19   #11
Paulee_Bow

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnie View Post
The aux slot does not need any setup. It works out of the box. And it is alot less sensitive.

Its just an extremely practical set up. If you are a novice like me.
Yeah I tried out the ACA500 but sadly it never worked on my A500+.

I’m not sure if it was the unit or my machine, but it just continuously refused to boot, getting stuck or crashing, despite me trying many different power supplies, cleaning methods, troubleshooting etc.

It was a complete nightmare. I later got a HC533 from Sordan and that’s been a dream, yeah you have to set up a workbench installation on WinUAE, and open up the 500 Until you’ve settled on the software you want to be on the card, but I found that whole process really fun and nostalgic, a proper Amiga experience...and it’s worked flawlessly ever since.

I am going to maybe try out the TF530 on a second machine, reason being, I’m happy with my 3.1 A500+ as it is, stable, and the TF only has 2MB fast which is not ideal for music making.
Old 07 November 2019, 11:54   #12
AmigaHope

Quote:
Originally Posted by lord of time View Post
I think he is more likely refering to the ability to install the OS and choose Kickstard from within the Accelorator - an ability the ACA500/ACA500+ devices have. I dont see much use for this on 1200 either really!
It would be a nice feature for future ACA1200 cards to include some local storage that could hold basic OS and firmware for bootstrapping. The other fancy memory management features of the ACA500+ would be nice too. A local flash adapter on the card could be way faster than Gayle.
Old 07 November 2019, 15:41   #13
roondar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
Unfortunately the A1200 has no external expansion connector.
I suppose you could do something janky with that little hole next to the mouse ports. Though it might not be big enough for CF cards and some expansions already use it (my Indivision AGA came with a DVI connector plus holder that fit there).
Old 07 November 2019, 21:19   #14
donnie

I was thinking of just having the card itself in the expansion bay, and a small bracket with the cf cards that extends under the amiga.

Like this:

The only modification you would have to do is to remove the hatch, insert the card, and add 0,4mm rubber feets on your amiga.