English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 10 August 2009, 08:27   #101
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
I have found another game that has a problem. It's Black sect from lankhor.
For an unknow reason, the music is NOT triggered on the first intro screen where
a man is stabbed by one of the sect disciples, but on the credit screen.

I use A500 OCS chipset 2mb chip + 512kb slow + Action Replay 3
Cycle exact mode.

If you need me to put in the zone black sect original disks, tell me ^^
Uhmm.. Why such a stupid configuration? (OCS hardware can't even support >512K chip. No Amiga hardware can support >=1M chip + slow without extra hardware!). No Quickstart config used -> ignored.

(but upload it or include checksums, please)
Old 11 August 2009, 18:18   #102
Mclane
Old retro god.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Uhmm.. Why such a stupid configuration? (OCS hardware can't even support >512K chip. No Amiga hardware can support >=1M chip + slow without extra hardware!). No Quickstart config used -> ignored.

(but upload it or include checksums, please)

Beat me to it, if you are going to report a problem then make sure it's on a real world config, Winuae is trying to be as perfect as it can to a basic Amiga hardware setup, anything above is a bonus, and trust me, you have a huge bonus thanks to Toni!
Old 12 August 2009, 11:27   #103
Ian
Global Moderator

Exclusive mode works a treat now.

I have to set the buffer to 5 for the audio not to crackle, what is the delay with that? I know you said it was different to the buffer in non-exclusive modes.
Old 12 August 2009, 13:35   #104
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Exclusive mode works a treat now.

I have to set the buffer to 5 for the audio not to crackle, what is the delay with that? I know you said it was different to the buffer in non-exclusive modes.
It can be driver specific (but now it should be about same as shared mode), check the log. Or use some game that has gun firing sound when pressing fire button or something
Old 12 August 2009, 13:58   #105
Ian
Global Moderator

It doesn't seem to be the same on my system though as I can run a buffer of 2 in DS mode with a stable readout on the onscreen leds.

I will try it with Alien Breed, there's normally a considerable delay when picking up a group of items that I don't remember from when I played it on the real thing.
Old 12 August 2009, 14:23   #106
Maren
Banned

Have you tried lowering the sample rate to something better matching Amiga's original? I can set a buffer size of 1 in DS mode without getting crackling or any other negative side effects whatsoever as long as I keep it 22050Hz, which sounds truly genuine with the A500 filter turned on.
Old 12 August 2009, 14:35   #107
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Small comment: this thread will NOT become GENERIC (which is totally out of topic) sound quality thread.
Old 13 August 2009, 17:06   #108
Ian
Global Moderator

My memory isn't what it used to be, the problem I have with Alien Breed is the delay when picking up items, if you get a number of them they staying on the screen for a while after you've picked them up, nothing to do with the sound which has always played as soon as you've picked them up.

My appologies.
Old 16 August 2009, 19:45   #109
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

http://files.winuae.net/beta/winuae_1620b7.zip

Beta 7:

- removed very old width divisible by 8 restriction
- genlock "emulation" (chipset clocks stop if no genlock and BPLCON0 external sync bit is enabled) was broken few betas ago
- NTSC alternating short/long line emulated (perhaps some rare NTSC-only demo cares about this)
- 5.1 sound mode had wrong Amiga channels -> center/sub mixing ratio
- another MOVEM disassembler fix
- pointless regstruct duplication in sources finally removed
- 68EC020/68020 "cycle exact" mode implemented. This is A500 chipset cycle exact mode combined with 68020 CPU. 68020's chip RAM fetches are slowed by DMA, instruction cache is not emulated but "close enough" opcode fetches are not slowed down as much (better than nothing). Extra instruction processing cycle usage is not yet included, CPU basically runs as fast as memory allows. (which is more or less correct except slow instructions like mul and div need extra cycles) Quickstart A1200/CD32 most compatible now enables this new CE-mode. Some weird sound problems can be noticed, reason unknown..

Two above changes can break lots of things as usual.. Binary size also increased, 4th CPU core added (68020CE) and finally, next official version is now guaranteed to not be 1.6.2..
Old 16 August 2009, 19:54   #110
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
- 5.1 sound mode had wrong Amiga channels -> center/sub mixing ratio
yup, that fixed it, gracias!
Old 17 August 2009, 20:59   #111
Ed Cruse

I ran into a big NTSC display problem with latest beta.

When NTSC non interlace and OS3.9, a black bar randomly bounces around the screen at about 30 times a second, I'm just guessing on rate.

When NTSC interlace and OS3.9, black bar as before but the whole screen vibrates up and down about one pixel at about 30 times a second, again guessing on the rate and the number of pixels.

I did two screen shots, dumb_001 is the only one that shows anything, the rest are blank as in dumb_002. Paint_001 is a save screen to the clipboard with the GUI showing which freezes everything. You can't see the black bar but you can get an idea as to how much the screen is vibrating up and down.

It doesn't matter whether NTSC or PAL chips set, PAL display works fine, NTSC/PAL both work fine with OS3.1. It appears to be only a problem with NTSC and 3.9. I also checked this with a1200/A4000 quick-start using a standard 3.9. It does this with and without filters. I also sent logs and my config. Previous beta works fine.
Old 17 August 2009, 21:11   #112
Ed Cruse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Cruse View Post
I ran into a big NTSC display problem with latest beta.

When NTSC non interlace and OS3.9, a black bar randomly bounces around the screen at about 30 times a second, I'm just guessing on rate.

When NTSC interlace and OS3.9, black bar as before but the whole screen vibrates up and down about one pixel at about 30 times a second, again guessing on the rate and the number of pixels.

I did two screen shots, dumb_001 is the only one that shows anything, the rest are blank as in dumb_002. Paint_001 is a save screen to the clipboard with the GUI showing which freezes everything. You can't see the black bar but you can get an idea as to how much the screen is vibrating up and down.

It doesn't matter whether NTSC or PAL chips set, PAL display works fine, NTSC/PAL both work fine with OS3.1. It appears to be only a problem with NTSC and 3.9. I also checked this with a1200/A4000 quick-start using a standard 3.9. It does this with and without filters. I also sent logs and my config. Previous beta works fine.
Sorry, the attachment on this message is for my previous message.
Attached Files
File Type: zip info.zip (221.1 KB, 195 views)
Old 17 August 2009, 23:01   #113
heavy
noodle

I just saw that since beta 4, the demo Rampage/TEK works fine with A500 common config
no more need the fix
thanx

Last edited by heavy; 17 August 2009 at 23:20.
Old 18 August 2009, 01:10   #114
DyLucke
Cookie Muncher

Hmmm, maybe this issue has been reported already but i'll give a feedback anyways just in case... I'm using W7 RC, and while using the last stable release of WinUAE i've noticed acess to files on the PC HDD (folders set as amiga drives) is unusually sloooooooooow.

This doesn't happen if you acess to files into an .HDF
This doesn't happen when using XP.
Total Commander has the same problem accessing the HDD on Win7 RC

Any clue?

Old 18 August 2009, 08:56   #115
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyLucke View Post
Hmmm, maybe this issue has been reported already but i'll give a feedback anyways just in case... I'm using W7 RC, and while using the last stable release of WinUAE i've noticed acess to files on the PC HDD (folders set as amiga drives) is unusually sloooooooooow.

This doesn't happen if you acess to files into an .HDF
This doesn't happen when using XP.
Total Commander has the same problem accessing the HDD on Win7 RC

Any clue?

I never saw any difference and another tester confirmed that previous beta did fix the slowdown (which I didn't notice). Perhaps you have some badly configured priority settings?
Old 18 August 2009, 19:44   #116
DyLucke
Cookie Muncher

Hmm, probably i don't have that previous beta (or newer) Toni, i'll take a look and give feedback about it.
Old 19 August 2009, 18:39   #117
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

http://files.winuae.net/beta/winuae_1620b8.zip

Beta 8:

68020 CE mode updates:

- unaligned word/long accesses emulated (68020 always fetches aligned longs, two accesses required if for example word is fetched from address 3)
- emulate 68020 instruction cache logic as documented in 68020 manual, cache hits are free, cache misses require normal, possibly slow chip ram fetch
- approximate emulation of 68020 prefetch buffer, more compatible with self-modifying code
- very approximate 68020 MUL/DIV cycle usage added
- 68030/040/060 also supported in "020CE" mode. Not totally useless because this can mean more compatible HD installed games by switching between JIT and "CE" mode on the fly using uae-configuration. (switching between CPU types on the fly isn't very good idea..)

Note that 68020 "CE" is still too fast (CPU internal calculations are not counted yet) but this is 100x better than previously because memory fetches are emulated, too fast CPU chip memory accesses and too fast blitter was the most common cause for problems.

- CD32 drive command communication and interrupt handling rewritten, should now match real hardware (I think..) At least Brian the Lion CD32 works again..
- NTSC mode shouldn't jump anymore
- automatic vsync mode on the fly switching between 50Hz and 60Hz screen modes if refresh rate is supported, disable vsync temporarily if rate not supported (until switching back to supported rate)
- Superstardust AGA weapon panel breaks if 1 extra BPLCON0 delay cycle added. Obviously previous fix wasn't right.. Lets try something else, add extra cycle if first bpl dma cycle is allocated (8 planes)
Old 19 August 2009, 19:01   #118
Maren
Banned

Is there a way to disable automatic vsync/refresh rate? I like to play B.C Kid at 50hz and now it's switching to 60hz.
Old 19 August 2009, 19:28   #119
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

I can't switch to 100Hz Pal in Fullscreen+Vsyc with the new Beta 8, it remains in 50Hz PAL(*).
Old 19 August 2009, 22:03   #120
Ed Cruse

Beta 8. No more NTSC jumping, thank you.