English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 20 June 2012, 23:54   #1
spannernick
Retro Nuts

What has happened to Amibay..?

its offline and i need to get to my messages I need to pay someone on there on friday..

This is whats on there at the moment..is there anymore info on it and when it will be back.?

Amibay.com is currently offline

We are experienced some server issues and are trying to resolve them as quickly as possible.

You can reach us at admin@amibay.com

Last edited by spannernick; 21 June 2012 at 00:01.
Old 20 June 2012, 23:58   #2
sneeker

Its hosted by Worlds worst Webhost ever (tm) and the hosters broke it. They moved the servers I think and it never came back up.

(In mine and many others humble opinion, Theyre the only company I can think of that can bring me out in a rage lol )

Last edited by sneeker; 21 June 2012 at 00:10.
Old 21 June 2012, 00:04   #3
Peter
Still an Amiga user

Be great if this thread could now just be used by Amibay Mods to update the situation as there is an obvious interest regarding progress...

Anything of topic and the thread will just end up being closed.
Old 21 June 2012, 00:28   #4
Megamix

Be good if both these great site`s could combine to make one really great site.....
Old 21 June 2012, 00:32   #5
TheCorfiot
Amibay Senior Staff

Hi Guys

Firstly thank you for all your patience, and thanks to our friends at EAB too for allowing us to post and update you guys over here.

You are correct 1and1 have royally cocked things up, there is an issue with the configuration of the upgraded Apache server.... they have not enabled the processing of php scripting hence the site, which btw is fully intact, cannot process and execute the scripts needed.

Merlin, Andylandy and Harrison have raised this with 1and1, they are in direct contact with them and awaiting them to sort it out....

The delay and extraordinary time it is taking to manage their customers service requests leads me to believe that there are a lot of irate customers out their who have also had their sites borked...
In fact the recent Amibay hack was probably aimed at all 1and1 hosted sites due to holes in their security which this upgrade rollout was probably trying to patch and address..

Point is its not good enough and as an Admin I will be discussing a move to another host provider in the immediate future, they will not be getting paid this month either..

The Site will also be upgraded to VB 4 in the coming weeks, but don't worry, Harrison will be doing this himself.

Again I apologise for the length of time that the site has been offline and thank you all for your patience and loyalty, we will be back online soon......

Thanks to all at EAB too..

Best Wishes to you all.
TC
Amibay Administrator.

Last edited by TheCorfiot; 21 June 2012 at 00:46.
Old 21 June 2012, 01:07   #6
myst

Good to hear the site itself is intact!

Old 21 June 2012, 01:20   #7
johnim
Amibay Mod/Staff

thanks for the update bas and to eab staff

john
Old 21 June 2012, 03:48   #8
ravard

First thanks to EAB for providing a thread for updates. Second, good luck on getting amibay back up and running. I do Information Technology for a living and I don't think the average person understands how complicated these systems are becoming. There are so many inter-dependencies. Of course there are ways to mitigate upgrades. Did 1and1 do testing on peoples sites to prepare? So amibay admins hang in there!
Old 21 June 2012, 09:47   #9
moijk
License to Bubble

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCorfiot View Post
You are correct 1and1 have royally cocked things up, there is an issue with the configuration of the upgraded Apache server.... they have not enabled the processing of php scripting hence the site, which btw is fully intact, cannot process and execute the scripts needed.
In any company who hasn't replaced their workforce with drunk and blind monkeys that ought to be a five minute fix. or fifteen to thirty if you compile from source depending on how much attention the sysadmin give to the anime flick he is watching while doing it.

And I even would have forgiven half a day if they wasn't notified by the issue or that it was some important holiday in between. like.. christmas.

I hope the next delay is because of dns changes from 1&1 to someone who gives a rats ass about their customers.
Old 21 June 2012, 10:37   #10
Geraldine
Amigas4Ever!

Location: Sunny Scotland. Anarchy System Tech Level 0 No Police Presence. Enter At Own Risk!
Thanks for the update TC, we all know it's not the Amibay staff's fault and moving to a new provider seems like a good idea. Hope your up and running again soon

Also, I too would like to thank EAB for allowing this discussion on their forum. This site deserves more attention from us all and after this is all over, I hope all you will remember EAB and drop in from time to time
Old 21 June 2012, 10:39   #11
1time
Amiga Lover

Amiga people need to help each other! We are all like a big happy family! =)
Old 21 June 2012, 11:05   #12
Gordon
Settler

Will there be compensation for lost deals?
Old 21 June 2012, 11:21   #13
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
Be great if this thread could now just be used by Amibay Mods to update the situation as there is an obvious interest regarding progress....
I've always thought the same
Old 21 June 2012, 11:50   #14
khyonismer

amibay not working? i sad, very sad. thank you thecorfiot for fixing the bugs

Old 21 June 2012, 11:51   #15
Darksun777

1&1 is one of the worst providers ever. Please move to another one

Good luck for bringing the site back online!

Thanks

Old 21 June 2012, 12:14   #16
Merlin
AmiBay MegaMod

OK, here's the full lowdown on what's gone wrong.

1&1 upgraded the Linux server software and also upgraded the version of Apache Server while they were at it (they didn't tell us they were doing this though).

The result is that Apache is not parsing php files and that has broken the site. We have a support ticket raised with 1&1 as the issue is on their managed server side and we don't have access to fix it. We are in their hands and I am severely questioning their "24/7 support" claim...... :/

On a scale of not being happy of 1 to 10 (10 being super duper unhappy), I am about a 36 right now and counting.....
Old 21 June 2012, 12:29   #17
johnim
Amibay Mod/Staff

thanks for the info dave

not very nice of them
Old 21 June 2012, 13:56   #18
Merlin
AmiBay MegaMod

It gets better, get a load of this reply from 1&1.......

Quote:
Our administrators have informed us that the current dedicated server you have, UK Dedicated Managed Server Value 1 (2008/08), was actually never intended to have support for PHP. Apparently there was a stable bug in the image design that allowed for PHP to be run, but however now that the debian upgrade has been performed the 'Value' servers are no longer able to support PHP. Additionally we no longer offer that tier of server anymore.
Are they serious? Don't they realise that just about every site on the Internet uses PHP and that Apache is a dedicated PHP handler? What's the point of installing a PHP Handler to the server if they don't support PHP? Idiots.....

<facepalms>

We are taking steps to get the site moved to a new server ASAP and 1&1 can kiss my furry ar$e.... You don't want to know how angry I am right now....
Old 21 June 2012, 14:05   #19
Paul_s

We need an Amibay BBS at times like this
Old 21 June 2012, 14:14   #20
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
LOL by their own admition they don`t know what they are doing, time to split and find someone that dose