English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 04 February 2002, 16:29   #1
ptrchiappe

Send a message via AIM to ptrchiappe
Windows filenames on CD

I'm not sure if this is the right place but...

I ask to all the experts on this board which is the best method to burn the data CDs under Windows so that on the Amiga i can read the correct filenames, and not those horrible 8.3 DOS format names.

I use the a1200_atapi.device and AmiFileSystem to read CDs, and everything works very well, but with all the CDs i tried burning in this period it always reads them like MS-DOS.

Any solution is welcome (another Amiga CD filesystem, some Win program which is able to burn differently from standard Win filenames ) as long as it helps me on this subject.

TIA
Old 04 February 2002, 20:24   #2
RetroMan

Just burn it with ISO-2 format and JOLIET , that should do the trick, well at least it does for me
Old 05 February 2002, 08:11   #3
ptrchiappe

And what device and filesystem you use on the amiga side to read the names correctly?

I already tried the CDFS that comes with the idefix package and AsimCDFS, and always got the DOS names .
Old 05 February 2002, 14:56   #4
RetroMan

CacheCDFS from OS 3.9 on my A1200 and the cdfs that comes with a PCMCIA CDRom on my A600 (Tandem PCMCIA Controller) with WB 2.1 ... works fine ...
Old 06 February 2002, 09:04   #5
ptrchiappe

Thanks for the tip, it worked.

I found a program that let me burn in ISO-2 with long names, and the Amiga read perfectly the long filenames .
Old 21 February 2003, 09:24   #6
Echo

Thanks Retroman, I was about to ask the same thing, but thought I'd try a search first!

Now I can get all these nice hd installers across in one go, zip disks and 8.3 filenames were starting to get on my nerves
Old 21 February 2003, 12:13   #7
mr_0rga5m
Tik Gora :D

Quote:
Originally posted by ptrchiappe
Thanks for the tip, it worked.

I found a program that let me burn in ISO-2 with long names, and the Amiga read perfectly the long filenames .

Longer than 64 chars?? .. Tell me tell me
Old 21 February 2003, 12:20   #8
Echo

Quote:
Originally posted by mr_0rga5m
Longer than 64 chars?? .. Tell me tell me
Workbench wouldn't support more than 32 anyway.

I think the only way you could avoid the 64 character limit on CDs is to use UDF as opposed to ISO level 1/2. Nero can burn as UDF. I used it not so long back to work around another ISO limitation, single files larger than 2gb.
Old 21 February 2003, 14:45   #9
Severin

Send a message via ICQ to Severin
Quote:
Erm, well upto 3.1, 3.5+ supports upto 103 characters, it's fastfilesystem that doesn't (or didn't), I have been using smartfilesystem for a couple of years with nice long filnames (it's free, faster than ffs and a lot more stable - look on the OS3.9 cd or aminet) iirc pfs also allows long names.
Old 21 February 2003, 14:57   #10
Echo

Oh yeah, you did tell me about that mate - I still haven't got around to trying it, lol.

I really should make it a priority, FFS has fallen over 3 times in the last 2 months since getting back into Amiga bigtime. Unrecoverable checksum error, reformat required.

FAT32/NTFS are angels compared to FFS
Old 21 February 2003, 18:18   #11
Amiga1992

Yup, I've got to make the move to FFS soon. During the year I had like 4 irrecoverable checksum errors.

I just didn't find time to set it up! Probably these weeks, before I start my classes
Old 21 February 2003, 19:21   #12
Echo

Surely you mean from Akira

My main concern (which I probably already asked you over the phone Severin!), is booting with SFS.

Is it going to work as per normal, or does it require a bootdisk to activate? I know Amiga hardware is generally very intelligent, but I'm curious as to how it can recognise a foreign filesystem with just the kickstart rom.
Old 21 February 2003, 19:46   #13
Amiga1992

Yes, my bad ;D

The machine boots without problems like if it was a normal HD. No need for bootdisks or anything, is not like if you have to mount the drive after you boot, this filesystem gets imprinted in the HD, somewhere, somehow (i'm not much of spannerhead when it comes down to these Amiga techy bits .
Old 21 February 2003, 20:05   #14
oldpx

Quote:
source

Maximum filename lengths for the popular filesystems are as follows:

AmigaDOS (dos.library): 102, plus 5 reserved for ".info" files
Workbench/Fast File System (FFS): 25, plus 5 reserved for ".info" files
Smart File System (SFS): 95, plus 5 reserved for ".info" files
Professional File System (PFS): 102, plus 5 reserved for ".info" files (PFS has a minimum of 31 characters)
Ami-File Safe (AFS): diskname length - 32, filename length - 96, comment length - 80

Old 22 February 2003, 01:32   #15
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Interesting stuff here. Great link, Burseg.

Just curious, could a WinUAE HDF file be created using these alternate file systems?
Old 22 February 2003, 01:40   #16
oldpx

I'm doing all sorts of crazy things nowadays. If it's possible, I'll try to set the filesystem of a real amiga HD to SFS under WinUAE. I've no experience on connecting real amiga HDs to PC/WinUAE and using custom filesystems doesn't sound possible to me otherwise (With _normal_ UAE harddisks). Doesn't uae uses it's own system: the uae.filesystem?

Old 22 February 2003, 09:54   #17
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
could a WinUAE HDF file be created using these alternate file systems
Yes and no. "Regular" HDF won't automount/boot, only full HD images work (partitioned with HDToolbox etc..)

It is possible to boot/automount custom formatted HDFs but it will need extra code that checks the partition type and loads correct filesystem driver from Windows drive (I'd call it "RDB filesystem faking").

FastFileSystem is already supported when booting HDFs under KS1.3 so expanding the code for other custom filesystems won't be too hard.
Old 22 February 2003, 12:22   #18
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

This would be cool. I find myself having to look at ADF's from AmigaDOS from time to time and they almost always have TOSEC filenames too long for AmigaDOS to read, so I end up having to eject, rename, insert just so I can get to the file (which doesn't exist to FFS).
Old 22 February 2003, 13:34   #19
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
expanding the code for other custom filesystems won't be too hard.
Done...

Filesystem driver must be copied to WinUAE's rom-directory and named xxxxxxxx.fs where x = filesystem's dostype in hexadecimal. (for example, SmartFileSystem's dostype is 0x53465300 -> file must be named 53465300.fs)

Of course filesystem loading can be improved in future...

Unfortunately it is not possible (?) to autodetect supported filesystems by loading and analyzing the filesystem driver.
Old 26 February 2003, 21:06   #20
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Ignore my previous post..

Last minute change (R5 will be out very soon): added filesystem-path to HDF options-tab, simply point it to Amiga filesystem driver (for example path/SmartFileSystem). Much easier than playing with hexadecimal dostypes, I think