English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - Technical

Old 14 January 2020, 16:10   #1
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

How much time do you spend in front of a screen ?...

... and your children ?

deepl.com translation.
Source : https://www.sciencesetavenir.fr/sant...langage_140431

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camille Gaubert ("Sciences & Avenir")

Children: Watching screens in the morning before school is linked to language impairment

Watching the screens in the morning before school and little discussion of their content with parents is linked to a 6 times higher risk of presenting a primary language disorder, according to a study by Santé Publique France.

Morning cartoons, grief?

Screens consumed in the morning, combined with a lack of dialogue with parents about the images seen by the child, is linked to a six-fold risk of presenting a language disorder, according to work by Santé Publique France published in the Bulletin Epidémiologique Hebdomadaire (BEH). Although the causality between these factors has not yet been established, this work opens up interesting perspectives.

An emerging link between screen exposure and language disorders

In France, 4 to 6% of children suffer from primary language disorders, ranging from simple delay - often caught up later - to the most severe developmental dysphasia, due to neurological dysfunction. "Several international studies have shown' that exposure to screens had a significant impact (...) on language disorders but most of them only took into account exposure to te'le'vision', explain the authors in the BEH publication.

In their study, the researchers broadened the scope by examining any type of language and screen impairment: smartphone, television, tablet, computer or game console. In addition, since studies have shown that "young children exposed to screens had less e'motion interaction with their environment", necessary for language development, interaction with the family was also evaluated.

167 children from Ille-et-Villaine with primary language disorders and 109 without disorders (controls), aged 3.5 to 6.5 years, were recruited by the researchers via their general practitioners and speech therapists. Information on children's access to screens and interactions with their environment was then collected by questionnaire from parents.

Watching screens in the morning and little interaction with parents

As a result, 94% of children in both groups had access to television, half (54%) had access to a tablet and one-third had access to a computer (32%), a game console (35%) or a smartphone (30%). Eighty-three percent of the children had been exposed to screens before the age of two.

A real difference was first visible on the temporality of screen exposure: during the week, 44% of children with primary language impairment and 22% of children with mild language impairment were exposed to screens in the morning before school for an average of 20 minutes. This parameter was significantly associated with a doubling of the risk of presenting a primary language disorder. In general, they spent 88 and 56 minutes per day in front of the screens, respectively.

In terms of family interactions, there was also a difference between the children with primary language impairment and the controls. Among the former, 32% of parents 'clare' rarely, if ever, discuss the content of e'screens with their children, compared to 15% of parents of te'less. Alone, this parameter could not be significantly associated with primary language disorders.

A six-fold association with primary language impairment

"The strongest and most innovative result of our study is the evidence of an interaction between the two risks," comments Manon Collet, lead author of the study, to Sciences et Avenir. According to her results, the risk of developing a primary language disorder was six times higher in children who were exposed to screens in the morning and who never or rarely discussed the content they watched with their parents. This may be explained by the fact that exposure to screens in the morning takes away a child's attention and makes them less able to learn for the rest of the day," the study team says. A link already observed in other scientific studies.

Nuances according to the programs and the uses of the screens

"Our study is a 'case-control' study, where information on pathology is collected before information on exposure. The convergence of our results with those of other studies leads us to believe that this relationship is causal", but this causal link can only be demonstrated in a long study observing the appearance of the disorders in children exposed to screens, explains Manon Collet. The study is also limited by the fact that it mixed all types of primary language disorders and all types of screens. A "methodological choice linked to our field constraints," says Manon Collet. Moreover, she sees a difference between screens, depending on whether their content is interactive and adapted to children, although this aspect is not addressed in this work. According to other studies and "without going so far as to promote language, these so-called 'educational' programmes would seem to have a less deleterious role than other programmes (if they are not viewed before the age of 2.5 years)," she says.

"This harmfulness of screens to language has been demonstrated in scientific studies over the past decade or so, which is recent enough to make a real difference," concludes Collet. "There is no international consensus on the subject at the moment. For example, the Americans recommend no screens before the age of 18 months, in France the threshold is set at 3 years".

[Picture caption : In France, 4 to 6% of children are affected by primary language disorders.]
1st time I have read about it was here : https://www.lemonde.fr/sciences/arti...50_1650684.htm
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMonde.fr 21.10.2019
Deficit disorder of attention, of sleep, of language... « The multiplication of screens leads to large-scale decerebration. »
For neuroscientist Michel Desmurget, leaving children and teenagers in front of screens is abuse. He warns about what he considers to be a major public health problem. [...]
Old 14 January 2020, 16:18   #2
chip

A lot of time actually

It can vary from 5 hours to 8 hours indeed

It's too much, i know
Old 14 January 2020, 16:31   #3
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Old 14 January 2020, 17:39   #4
Daedalus

Too much, unfortunately. 10-12 hours some days...
Old 14 January 2020, 19:47   #5
Anubis
Na'vi Gamer

If you count computer screen, then way too much.

TV - not so much... (lie )
Old 14 January 2020, 20:08   #6
jmmijo

I have no children so there....

As for me, not too much, mostly watching some Science channel stuff and then over to any sports that maybe worth viewing.

Then falling asleep watching it and shutting off the TV

Maybe 2 ~ 3 hours ?

Many days I don't watch any at all, I work in fron of my computers so that is really all I need.
Old 15 January 2020, 17:42   #7
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

16 hours on most days. counting all screens.
Old 15 January 2020, 17:47   #8
Daedalus

Oof, I don't feel so bad then with my semi-regular 10-12 hours that would be almost entirely computer monitors - I wouldn't spend hours on my phone and don't watch all that much TV...
Old 15 January 2020, 17:50   #9
DamienD
Global Moderator

Yeah, sometimes 15 hours a day looking at computer screens.

Not good...
Old 15 January 2020, 18:04   #10
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
Oof, I don't feel so bad then with my semi-regular 10-12 hours that would be almost entirely computer monitors - I wouldn't spend hours on my phone and don't watch all that much TV...
Sometimes I go out for a walk for a couple of hours to de-screen myself In the spring and summer the count definitely drops from 16 to around 12.

But even when I visit for example my parents, I will be staring at a screen for long periods of time because TV, iPad, phone with photos, etc. etc.

If I'm in public transportation I read books... on an eReader, I count that as a screen.

Most of my interests involve a screen! Even cooking as I spend quite some time researching recipes and when I'm doing something new I usually follow a video on a tablet. If I would force myself to stop staring at screens the whole day, I honestly don't know what I would do with myself.
Old 15 January 2020, 18:17   #11
chip

Well gimbal, you are honest

Probably most of us spend too much time with the screen

Today i have already 7 hours of computer and the day isn't finished yet

But as you said, i don't know what i would do
Old 15 January 2020, 19:06   #12
jmmijo

OK, I misread the topic name and assumed TV ONLY

TV screen not so much time but computer screen would easily be 12 ~ 16 hours a day, mainly as I work from home so for me it's my connection to the outside world.

However I make time to take frequent breaks, walk up and down the stars in my house, tend to the cats and so on.
Old 15 January 2020, 20:56   #13
Anubis
Na'vi Gamer

Trying to imagine your stars @ home... how does that looks?

See how dangerous is watching Cats movie.
Old 15 January 2020, 23:51   #14
kkgarbod
The Human/Gray Hybrid

Location: The Elizabeth Arkham Asylum for the Criminally Insane
Wait, people still watch TV on a TV? I don't even have a TV that can TV anymore, my TV's is game system screens.
Old 16 January 2020, 02:57   #15
jmmijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
Trying to imagine your stars @ home... how does that looks?

See how dangerous is watching Cats movie.
My STARS are very personal, however my STAIRCASES are not so much
Old 16 January 2020, 09:56   #16
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkgarbod View Post
Wait, people still watch TV on a TV? I don't even have a TV that can TV anymore, my TV's is game system screens.
The day I will have to change the TV, I will be sad. The old Samsung flat screen we have has all the needed connexions in its back (scart, s-video, RGB, etc.) for the DVD player and the consoles. Modern screens are so poor with connexions...
Old 16 January 2020, 10:02   #17
chip

Hey malko, sorry for the question

But we have to change the TV one day in the future ?

There's something that will change at a global level so that we are forced to change TV ?
Old 16 January 2020, 14:02   #18
Daedalus

TVs, like all electronics, eventually die or become less than ideal for their intended use. I personally love my Panasonic plasma, and sadly plasmas aren't available any more so I'm going to keep using it for as long as I can for both TV and some gaming (including Amiga use). It's a far nicer screen for watching than any computer screen, and I much prefer it to the current "modern" offerings. But eventually it will wear out, and when it does, hopefully OLED will be in a position to replace it.
Old 16 January 2020, 15:54   #19
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip View Post
[...] There's something that will change at a global level so that we are forced to change TV ?
Not that I am aware of. Like Daedalus mentioned, I was thinking about the day my TV will die...

By the way, I have seen this in a magazine. Sooooo in line with this thread :

Old 16 January 2020, 18:05   #20
chip

Made some research in Internet

At least here in Italy, some changes will happen soon regarding TVs

In 2020 there's one global change, in 2022 another second change

This means a lot of TVs should be changed