English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 06 February 2003, 17:24   #1
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Thumbs down Crap games that shudda been good

What Amiga games do you think could have been a LOT better if made by a different developer?

I think the Streetfighter 2 rights were TOTALLY wasted as Elfmania later proved that a decent conversion was technically possible.

I loved to play Chase H.Q in the arcades but the Amiga version stunk badly! If only the Lotus team had produced it things could have been so much better.

Old 06 February 2003, 19:27   #2
Drake1009

How about Rainbow islands? That could've been better but it was ok.
Old 06 February 2003, 21:35   #3
Daz

Rainbow Islands is Perfection! Leave it be dammit!
Old 06 February 2003, 21:41   #4
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Yeah, I'm quite surprised that Rainbow Islands should feature in this thread!
Old 06 February 2003, 22:58   #5
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Yeah me too!
I never played the arcade version but I cant see how it could have been much better.
Old 07 February 2003, 00:03   #6
th4t1guy

D/Generation: The game was really fun, but the graphics? They could've at least touched them up and better sound fx as well.

Almost any Seirra game: EGA graphics on an Amiga? Give me a break! What was even worse is that some magazines had the audacity to give these games 80-90% scores for gfx.

Rise of the Robots: erm...this game just sucked.
Old 07 February 2003, 09:48   #7
fiath

Rainbow Islands was hot on the Amiga, but it really could have been better... But maybe only if the Amiga itself was better!

The only thing I really notice after playing the arcade version (from a real PCB not MAME) is that the Amiga version has a slightly lower framerate and very slightly less quality on the gfx.

The thing that *used* to annoy me about the Amiga version was using "up" for jump and "fire" for rainbows. I liked the arcade version better (a button for both). However, I have since discovered that the Amiga way is actually quite cool, but there are some moves that are harder to perform (and some that are easier).

I also think the Amiga version is slightly easier, but that could just be me.
Old 07 February 2003, 09:53   #8
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Easier!? I dont think I ever got past island 4! (maybe Im just crap)
Insect, Monster, Toy....what was 4th? <<<Is that order correct?
Old 07 February 2003, 10:17   #9
Tim Janssen

Thumbs down Bionic Commando

One game that definitely should have been done by an other team is Bionic Commando. The Amiga version is horrendous! The push-scrolling makes it virtually unplayable. If the game was handled by the same team who did the European version of C64 Bionic Commando (I lost the name of the team), it would get better.
On the other hand, the conversion is developed in the Eighties and the boundaries of what an Amiga could handle weren't fully exploited. If they would convert it a few years later (somewhere in the nineties) the game would look identical to Bionic Commando in the Arcades. *sigh*

@Rainbow Islands,
I downloaded the arcade game a couple of months ago and I am surprised how close the Amiga version is. B.T.W. I find this game very difficult. I got to the endboss of Spooky-Island (the one with the black-coloured background).
Old 07 February 2003, 12:03   #10
fiath

Quote:
Originally posted by Dastardly
Easier!? I dont think I ever got past island 4! (maybe Im just crap)
Insect, Monster, Toy....what was 4th? <<<Is that order correct?
Insect, Monster, Toy... Arkanoid

Great level that one!

Yes, it is hard. But it not as hard as the arcade version!

It is one of those games that takes lots of practice. But when you do master it, it actually comes quite easily. It is certainly not in the realm of "impossible hard" - just "practice practice practice". This is how games should be IMO.

I have got pretty crap at it over the years, you certainly loose it after a while! I also think that going between Amiga and Arcade verisons is a baaaddd idea
Old 07 February 2003, 16:01   #11
BippyM
Global Moderator

You'll actually find it is Insect, Robot, Monster, Toy, Arkanoid
Old 07 February 2003, 17:08   #12
fiath

Nah, I didn't like that one anyway...
Old 07 February 2003, 18:09   #13
Amiga1992

Re: Crap games that shudda been good

I too think Rainbow Islands was supercool. It's my fave conversion!

Street Fighter 2 could have been benefitted by another team developing it. Probe comes to mind, they were arcade conversion masters (Elfmania was 100% technical showoff, but little gameplay bliss :/)

Akira should have been done by a japanese dev :P ICE completely destroyed the license.

There are lots of others, mainly conversions from other formats.
Old 07 February 2003, 18:16   #14
Mangar
Got the fever back

By far, the 2 games that most disappointed me, based on all the hype they were getting, was Legends of Valour and Epic.

Both were supposed to rival Ultima underworld and Wing Commander but failed miserably...
Old 07 February 2003, 20:09   #15
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

I think Epic is better than Wing Commander.

But hell, I think I am the only fan of Epic in the whole world.
Old 07 February 2003, 21:42   #16
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Smile Rainbow Islands rules!

The Amiga version of this game is sheer perfection. My favourite arcade conversion by miles.

I also think up to jump is easier and the Amiga community is used to it. The other great thing about the game is you can play it to try and get through all the levels OR play it properly, collecting the gems in the correct order and skipping the end of level bosses and getting the correct end of game message.

I also agree that an experienced player can get pretty far easily, I can get to level 4 everytime on the first credit.

I think most beat-em-ups conversions should have been better on the Amiga. Street Fighter 1 and 2, Pitfighter etc. R-Type 2 slowed down too much due to the stupid scrolling background, Buggy Boy's frame update was pretty shocking, most racing games from ICE were duff conversions too (Chase HQ 1 and 2, Cisco Heat). In fact how did ICE become so prolific when they just churned out the same crap time and time again?
Old 08 February 2003, 00:02   #17
Antiriad
The Sacred Armour Of

Ghouls N Ghosts was just TERRIBLE on the Amiga. It could have been done a whole lot better. Ghosts N Gobins was arcade perfect after all.

Edit: Sorry Dastardly! I think its dire! Arcade and SNES versions are fab in comparison
Old 08 February 2003, 13:44   #18
maddog

The Amiga version of Strider could have been better...... but then again it was even worse on most other home platforms.

Also games where the Amiga version was ported from the ST to save development time.....
Old 08 February 2003, 14:58   #19
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

@Antiriad
If you referring to my avatar then look again, it from the excellent C64 version.
I agree with you, the Amiga version stunk.
Old 08 February 2003, 15:53   #20
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally posted by Antiriad
Ghouls N Ghosts was just TERRIBLE on the Amiga. It could have been done a whole lot better. Ghosts N Gobins was arcade perfect after all.

Edit: Sorry Dastardly! I think its dire! Arcade and SNES versions are fab in comparison
Software Creations did the 8bit/16bit versions for U.S. Gold, the C64 whilst tough was a good conversion given the technical limitations, but agree that the Amiga version was ST ported crud. The only redeeming feature was the excellent music.

@Tim, I'm not sure but I'd assume Software Creations did the 16bit version of Bionic Commando too-unfortunately their Amiga track record was not as good as their generally great C64 games & classic Follin tunes,(apart from Bubble Bobble I can't recall many good S'ware Creations Amiga games).

As suggested earlier, European lead conversions of the Sierra catalogue & indeed LucasArts classic Graphic adventures would've been appreciated. Indeed Revolution did so with one of the latter Kings Quest games if I'm not mistaken? (KQ 5 or 6, wasn't it?).

As for strider, I think Team 17's Assasin proved what might've been. Rainbow Arts probably could've done a better version of Rtype 2. Whilst their R-type translation looked like an ST port, their original shootemups X-out & Z-out (& Turrican of course)showed what the Amiga was capable of.