English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 27 May 2016, 12:02   #1
d4rk3lf

Fixing or replacing keyboard (membrane) A500

Hi there folks.

I bought Amiga 500 on Ebay, some time a go, and recently, I finally got mouse, joystick and some games to test the Amiga.
I find out that some keys are not working.

So I opened Amiga, for the first time, tried to clean keys with ear-sticks, close it, and it was no better. So I opened it a second time, this time opened a keyboard also (to see a membrane), and it was awefull.
It seems someone sometime spill a juice, or something like that, because membrane had something dirty on it (at some parts). Smell terrible also, like puke..

So I take a pure alcohol and a paper napkin, and gently (without any pressure), I did a several strokes on membrane.
However, it left some green stuff (from membrane) on paper napkin, so I didn't push it further.

Closed keyboard, started Amiga. Same thing. Same keys not working, and even a few additional stopped working.

Is there anything I can do, or you recommend me to order a new membrane, or even a whole new keyboard?

Here's some photos (this is AFTER cleaning).

Sorry for a long post, and thanks everyone for help,
Bobi
Old 27 May 2016, 13:25   #2
ajk

It shouldn't be that fragile, clearly whatever was spilled in has degraded the membrane quite a bit. I would suggest looking for an alternative keyboard or membrane rather than wasting time with that.

For example the seller airey36 on ebay.co.uk has all kinds of Amiga parts listed, including membranes and keyboards.
Old 28 May 2016, 16:10   #3
d4rk3lf

Thanks ajk.
Yes, I'll probably buy a new keyboard.
Thanks for the seller name too. He really have lots of cool stuff, and I hope he will be willing to send it to Serbia. Will ask him, when I got some funds saved.

If someone closer to Serbia reads this, and have A500 keyboard for selling, please let me know.
Old 28 May 2016, 17:14   #4
turrican9

I have fixed several membranes myself. I use a multimeter to check what lines are broken then I fix it using repair kit for repairing heating threads in car windows. It's a conductive paste.

But of course you could just buy a new membrane like stated above. Airey36 has alot of stuff and I only have good experiences dealing with him.
Old 28 May 2016, 17:56   #5
spannernick
Retro Nuts

The only problem I fined when getting Amiga parts from ebay is they are way overpriced and sometimes don't work,I got a keyboard from Airey36 about a year ago it was £8.99 and it was not the same keyboard as in the picture,keyboard was very dirty and some of the keys didn't work.so be carefull when buying of ebay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turrican9 View Post
I have fixed several membranes myself. I use a multimeter to check what lines are broken then I fix it using repair kit for repairing heating threads in car windows. It's a conductive paste.

But of course you could just buy a new membrane like stated above. Airey36 has alot of stuff and I only have good experiences dealing with him.
I would love to see someone fixing a membrane on Youtube.. how do you take apart a membrane..??

Last edited by spannernick; 28 May 2016 at 19:02.
Old 30 May 2016, 12:54   #6
d4rk3lf

Quote:
Originally Posted by turrican9 View Post
As ajk already mentioned, my membrane is very weak. Just a few gentle (no pressure) strokes, and it removes the green membrane. I don't know what was spilled on it, but it ruined it pretty much (and the seller, of course, didn't mentioned that).

I think I'll go with Airey36, and I think I'll order whole keyboard, not just membrane. It's not huge price difference, and I think I'll order some more stuff from him, hopefully he is willing to send a heavier package to Serbia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spannernick View Post
The only problem I fined when getting Amiga parts from ebay is they are way overpriced and sometimes don't work,I got a keyboard from Airey36 about a year ago it was £8.99 and it was not the same keyboard as in the picture,keyboard was very dirty and some of the keys didn't work.so be carefull when buying of ebay.
Thanks for the warning, but I don't have much options. I'll wait a little and search if someone in my environment have an Amiga 500 that don't work (but keyboard work), but if I don't find, ebay is my only option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spannernick View Post
I would love to see someone fixing a membrane on Youtube.. how do you take apart a membrane..??
As I understand it, you don't take it apart , but build on top of membrane, filling damaged paths (roads). I personally wouldn't dare to attempt such a picky work, because of my lack of experience.