English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 11 October 2008, 03:52   #1
blade002
Zone Friend

ClassicWB How To ??

Recently my ClassicWB ceased working because i was trying to fix some problems like the entire screen looking completely native and grey with only tiny squares showing for my icons whilst other times i would boot and everything would look fine but my WHDLoad games would crash intermittently on quite a large number of occasions.

The reason why ClassicWB ceased working was because i tried to fix it ( my CD Drive had stopped working after i installed the CDFS Driver for the IDE Buffered Interface device and un-installed the IDE97 driver ) by re-installing the IDE97 driver... in a nutshell, my Workbench install was and is a complete mess!!!!..

So i want to reinstall ClassicWB on my real Amiga ( A1200 030@50 32meg ) and i have already gone through all the WinUAE set up to make a CD Rom to install it, so all that side of it is done, but i have completely forgotten how to reinstall ClassicWB, especially since if the CD is not working, how can i boot from CD Rom to install workbench!??.. and if i can't get into workbench to make a boot disk to boot the CD Rom ( i am presuming this is how it must be done ) then how can i ever get started!?

The only other solution i can see is if i reinstall workbench 3.0 from floppies and then try to make the boot disk, but is that boot disk file stored on the CD Rom, so as i can make the boot disk, or do i need to download the boot disk from somewhere and "then" make it!?.

And then once i do make the boot disk, is it ok to leave Workbench 3.0 on there as ClassicWB goes over the top of it ( would this create the problems that i was initially stuck with that caused the failure previously!? ), and also, if there is a default CD-Rom driver package with ClassicWB, would i then need to un-install and then install CDFS, and by uninstalling would i need to do any manual adjustments to the startup sequence to rid the boot commands for IDEFix97 or delete any files from any directories to clear IDEFix97 that its un-installer wont do on its own ( if of course, this is the driver that ClassicWB uses to drive the CD Rom )!?!?..

As a final note, i have read from the ClassicWB site that a possible reason why i had the tiny grey squares as icons upon boot was because my workbench install was not 3.5 or above and so anything below that would not support glow icons, but if thats the case, how can i install Workbench 3.9 when its on a CD and i have no floppy boot disk for it!?.. Would installing Workbench 3.0 and then throwing ClassicWB over the top of it just result in the same thing all over again because of that lack of support from 3.0 with glow icons!?.

As you can see my post is either A: confusing to you or B: you can see that i myself am very confused i have been thinking about this for a long time!..

Whats the verdict guys?.. i need your help
Old 11 October 2008, 04:00   #2
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

tl:dr

rtfm
Old 11 October 2008, 04:03   #3
blade002
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_hairy_bootson View Post
tl:dr

rtfm
what does tl:dr mean?
Old 11 October 2008, 04:08   #4
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

too long : didn't read
Old 11 October 2008, 04:10   #5
blade002
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_hairy_bootson View Post
too long : didn't read
I wouldn't read me either
Old 13 October 2008, 00:45   #6
Eclipse
Turpentine

PCMCIA>CF is how I used to do it.
I now have a multi card reader in my pc as I have CF>IDE. I can set the HD up as bootable in winuae and install it that way.
Old 13 October 2008, 01:06   #7
Bloodwych

Wow Blade, you really got into a mess!

Those tiny squares - it sounds like NewIcon support has gone missing and you are using the ADVSP version. That means Scalos is probably not working correctly and yes I'd just re-install.

There are many options available to you and they are all described on the main webpage under "Real Amiga Installation":

http://classicwb.abime.net/classicweb/instructions.htm

There are also links on that page which outline the many file transfer options available.

No need for OS3.9 files, all of KG's WHDLoad packs have NewIcons, so you shouldn't be seeing any tiny squares at all unless they are OS3.5+ specific. Mixing files isn't ideal and Scalos (FULL, ADV, ADVSP) doesn't work with OS3.9.

CDROM support isn't installed by default, so you can add that yourself.

If you want OS3.9 support, there is a version available to you if you want to try the beta:

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?p=467518