English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 15 September 2009, 09:44   #1
antonvaltaz

CD32 pad emulation in WinUAE for some games

I've got a Logitech Precision control pad that I've got configured as a CD32 pad in WinUAE, as it has basically the same layout (except it has an unnecessary second pair of shoulder buttons).

Now in some games (e.g. Guardian CD32) all four 'fire' buttons plus the shoulder buttons do exactly what they're supposed to. But without changing any settings, it doesn't work for other games, e.g. Alien Breed 3D CD32 or Ultimate Body Blows CD32.

With AB3D, the four 'fire' buttons seem to work okay but the shoulder pads, which are meant to strafe left and right, don't do anything. (Incidentally I've also tried this with the same result on a hard-disk installed A1200 version with 'PatchAB3D' applied which apparently incorporates the 'SetJoyPort' functionality by John Girvin).

With Ultimate Body Blows, it's an apparently random effect. 'Kick' button works okay, as does special move and jump forwards (right shoulder button). But jump backwards is assigned to the 'start' button (should be left shoulder), and the 'block' and 'punch' buttons don't seem to be assigned to anything. I've tried this with two CD32 ISOs - one with Project-X on the same CD, one on its own, no difference.

Any clues?
Old 15 September 2009, 10:41   #2
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

You could have a look at the Input panel and change the button mapping, so that it matches your joypad. The shoulder buttons for example would be 'CD32 RWD' and 'CD32 FFW'.
Old 15 September 2009, 10:56   #3
antonvaltaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
You could have a look at the Input panel and change the button mapping, so that it matches your joypad.
Thanks for the reply, but I've already done that, and it does match. I can confirm this because it works fine with other CD32 titles (as I said, Guardian - which uses all buttons - works fine).

I have checked that the joypad mapping doesn't change when I try Alien Breed 3D or Ultimate Body Blows (it doesn't) so the mystery continues...
Old 15 September 2009, 11:48   #4
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

This needs confirmation first. It would not be the first time game does something unexpected or there are multiple different game versions
Old 15 September 2009, 12:03   #5
antonvaltaz

Yeah I'm not even sure there's anything wrong with WinUAE, but as I don't have a real CD32 handy so I can't check!

If it makes any difference, one of the versions of Ultimate Body Blows I tried was the one from the EAB File Server (the one with Project-X as well). Anyone know if this version should work?
Old 15 September 2009, 15:09   #6
antonvaltaz

Okay I've found a couple of utilities on Aminet with which I can maybe do some confirmation tonight - joytest_CP.lha (which tests that the Amiga is receiving the buttons) and fakepad.lha (which emulates the CD32 pad, so I thought I could try at least A1200 AB3D with that and see if it recognises the software shoulder buttons).
Old 15 September 2009, 22:58   #7
antonvaltaz

Gah! Pulling my hair out now... not sure this is a WinUAE issue (so maybe its in the wrong forum) as CD32 pad works perfectly on Guardian, on Super Street Fighter II and on that Workbench joypad test utility.

Would be very grateful if anyone could either:

(a) name some other Amiga or CD32 games which use all or most of the CD32 pad buttons for me to do more testing; and/or

(b) confirm if they can get CD32 pad working FULLY on any version of Ultimate Body Blows or Alien Breed 3D, via WinUAE or otherwise?
Old 16 September 2009, 00:34   #8
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by antonvaltaz View Post
Gah! Pulling my hair out now... not sure this is a WinUAE issue (so maybe its in the wrong forum) as CD32 pad works perfectly on Guardian, on Super Street Fighter II and on that Workbench joypad test utility.

Would be very grateful if anyone could either:

(a) name some other Amiga or CD32 games which use all or most of the CD32 pad buttons for me to do more testing; and/or

(b) confirm if they can get CD32 pad working FULLY on any version of Ultimate Body Blows or Alien Breed 3D, via WinUAE or otherwise?
Odd, never had any problems here, with CD32 games and WinUAE pad emulation. I play (waits for flame) Microcosm, Liberation, AlienBreed Tower Assault and Pinball Fantasies. You sure your using CD32 Versions of the said games?
Old 16 September 2009, 02:44   #9
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to lilalurl
Used the CD32 quickstart and I can confirm the same issue with UBB from EAB file server (the one with Project-X and other game demos).

Btw, as I never had a CD32 I am not sure, but the key that triggers jump forward is bound to Joy2 CD RWD and since on electronic devices RWD is usually on the left and FFW on the right, that should make it the left shoulder button? In such case, this key also has a problem.
Or are the CD32 shoulder buttons made so that you have RWD on the left when you look at the buttons directly (i.e. 180° from how you normally hold the joypad)?
Old 16 September 2009, 07:16   #10
antonvaltaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
Odd, never had any problems here, with CD32 games and WinUAE pad emulation. I play (waits for flame) Microcosm, Liberation, AlienBreed Tower Assault and Pinball Fantasies. You sure your using CD32 Versions of the said games?
Definitely, mounting the images in Daemon Tools then starting the CD32 emulation. As I say, I am only having problems with Alien Breed 3D (which also affects the A1200 version) and Ultimate Body Blows (two different versions of it).

EDIT: Incidentally in the case of Alien Breed 3D A1200, I have the same problem even if I map all the CD32 buttons to the keyboard keys. In other words it seems the problem is not my pad but either the emulation or these specific games (or maybe some incompatibility between the two).

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilalurl View Post
Used the CD32 quickstart and I can confirm the same issue with UBB from EAB file server (the one with Project-X and other game demos).
Thank you, good to know I'm not going mad!

Quote:
Btw, as I never had a CD32 I am not sure, but the key that triggers jump forward is bound to Joy2 CD RWD and since on electronic devices RWD is usually on the left and FFW on the right, that should make it the left shoulder button? In such case, this key also has a problem.
Yes, I get the same problem too.

Last edited by antonvaltaz; 16 September 2009 at 07:31.
Old 16 September 2009, 10:11   #11
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

I really hope someone with a CD32 has pity with you and will test it Maybe even someone with the original, that can confirm if it's either a bugged version in the file server or if the game itself is the problem.
Old 16 September 2009, 11:21   #12
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

Quote:
This bug has been fixed in the latest beta of WinUAE.

@ antonvaltaz...
The problems you are encoutering are more than likely because the game doesn't make use of the CD32 joypads extra buttons. This is likely as you have said other CD32 games work ok.
Old 16 September 2009, 11:54   #13
antonvaltaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
This bug has been fixed in the latest beta of WinUAE.
That's good news - I will try it out! (BTW I know for a fact that both games I am talking about use all of the CD32 buttons if configured correctly).
Old 17 September 2009, 08:11   #14
antonvaltaz

First of all, discovered I'm a numpty as Alien Breed 3D CD32 controls DO work, I'd forgotten exactly what the shoulder buttons are used for (oops...)

As for Ultimate Body Blows though, still no luck. Have tried both ISO versions I have again, in the WinUAE 2.0.0 beta as well, still no difference. Also attempted to try the HD-installed version from WHDownload, but couldn't even get that to load (from the WHDLoad docs I think the slave may be incompatible with the Cloanto A1200 kickstart ROM I have).

So, I think I'm going to have to give up... :-( At least I can still play it with one-button joystick mode.
Old 17 September 2009, 08:42   #15
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonvaltaz View Post
First of all, discovered I'm a numpty as Alien Breed 3D CD32 controls DO work, I'd forgotten exactly what the shoulder buttons are used for (oops...)
Quote:
BTW I know for a fact that both games I am talking about use all of the CD32 buttons if configured correctly
For some reason I'd say this isn't good enough proof