English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 24 October 2015, 14:37   #61
Sandro
Banned

The amiga music in this game is better than the SNES version
if someone add the SNES backgrounds to the Amiga version ,the result will be the best version in all platforms
Old 24 October 2015, 14:44   #62
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
The amiga version has already the backgrounds. The parallax has been desactivated or removed.
Old 24 October 2015, 15:18   #63
Sandro
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
The amiga version has already the backgrounds. The parallax has been desactivated or removed.
you meant the background gfx are hidden in the game data?
Old 24 October 2015, 17:37   #64
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

nope, the background graphics are hidden behind the main foreground !
Old 24 October 2015, 18:03   #65
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
nope, the background graphics are hidden behind the main foreground !
I still don't understand why this happened. What's the purpose? Is it a bug? What were they hiding?
Old 24 October 2015, 21:37   #66
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

I guess that the coder maybe wanted to use a dual playfield, but was not able to implement it correctly.
Old 31 January 2017, 16:15   #67
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Sprite behind the background should, in theory, be easy to fix. You just change the values of the blpcon2 register.

http://amigadev.elowar.com/read/ADCD.../node0159.html

Just keep in mind that, from the tests I've made (and I may have screwed something), the documentation has the values inverted... 000 will give top priority for sprites, not the playfield.

Of course, this only counts if Gomez is indeed a HW sprite (which I guess it should be).

This is real crazy, I really wonder what happened during development of the game.
Old 31 January 2017, 16:53   #68
Amigajay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandro View Post
The amiga music in this game is better than the SNES version
if someone add the SNES backgrounds to the Amiga version ,the result will be the best version in all platforms
lets not go crazy! The SNES version is alot smoother, but certainly the game would look twice as good as it does now if the backgrounds could be added.
Old 31 January 2017, 19:53   #69
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Not only the framerate on the SNES version is smoother, the Amiga version has some itens lacking if I remember correctly.

While I think the Amiga game is one of the finest games of its genre on the system, if you can choose between the Amiga or the SNES version, IMO there's no reason to pick the Amiga one, even if we could manage to add the backgrounds on it.

Yet I think it would be great if somehow someone could manage to do it
Old 31 January 2017, 22:38   #70
LuMan
Amigan - an' lovin' it!!

Interesting thread. I was only playing this a few months back (before shoving my Amigas into storage) and really enjoyed it - despite the lack of backgrounds (which I didn't actually notice! )

Perhaps we know so much more about how the Amiga works to iron out the creases and make a version even more superior to the SNES version? Could this be possible?
Old 01 February 2017, 09:48   #71
vulture

I'm wondering how SNES version can be smoother since the Amiga version is a full 50/60 fps game.
Old 01 February 2017, 13:01   #72
s2325
Zone Friend

Maybe background was removed to lower difficulty as it's easier to spot enemies and traps?
Old 01 February 2017, 15:52   #73
Retro1234
Phone Homer

They probably had the foreground and background tile sets from..... and realised some of the background tiles would need to be redrawn to combine the two and combining the two maps etc would take time.
Old 01 February 2017, 18:47   #74
PortuguesePilot
Global Moderator

I'm so looking forward for this. I feel that something good about this is just around the corner. Don't ask me why...
Old 01 February 2017, 21:51   #75
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulture View Post
I'm wondering how SNES version can be smoother since the Amiga version is a full 50/60 fps game.
Unless the WHDLoad screws up the framerate, it is. I now have the SNES version running on real hardware... and playing both versions the difference is really very visible. After playing the Amiga version for a while, and then trying the SNES one, I was really surprised it clearly smoother than the Amiga version.

I don't know, I can play both games here on real hardware and record a video and let you judge it if you want it (though I have no capture card, I would just point the camera to the TV, maybe not the best way to do something like this )
Old 02 February 2017, 00:21   #76
Anakirob
Unregistered User

I recall reading about this in Amiga Power (in more than one issue of the magazine too I think). They wanted to do the parallax backdrops, and were planning on using the same data the SNES version used. But it came down to a choice of dual-playfield or 50Hz screen update. And after much debate they opted for the higher framerate over the extra graphics as the developers felt it was a better game that way.
Old 02 February 2017, 02:05   #77
Amiga1992

So what is it then? is it really updating in a frame? Shatterhand's experience seems to prove otherwise.
Old 02 February 2017, 10:13   #78
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anakirob View Post
I recall reading about this in Amiga Power (in more than one issue of the magazine too I think). They wanted to do the parallax backdrops, and were planning on using the same data the SNES version used. But it came down to a choice of dual-playfield or 50Hz screen update. And after much debate they opted for the higher framerate over the extra graphics as the developers felt it was a better game that way.
this doesn't explain at all why the ST version has the dual playfield.

It doesn't make sense at all. The Amiga is 50 times better than the ST for video display, sprites and scroll.

If the ST can do it, the Amiga can do it 2 hands tied in the back.
Old 02 February 2017, 10:20   #79
vulture

No, I don't doubt that this is what you see, but I've tested it on winuae for its framerate and it never drops below 50(pal)/60(ntsc) fps. Maybe you have it running @60hz on SNES and @50hz on Amiga? You may try it with ntsc switched on and see if it makes any difference (it should).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatterhand View Post
Unless the WHDLoad screws up the framerate, it is. I now have the SNES version running on real hardware... and playing both versions the difference is really very visible. After playing the Amiga version for a while, and then trying the SNES one, I was really surprised it clearly smoother than the Amiga version.

I don't know, I can play both games here on real hardware and record a video and let you judge it if you want it (though I have no capture card, I would just point the camera to the TV, maybe not the best way to do something like this )
@Akira

Yes, it's definitely a full frame game. But, I'm willing to test it again tonight when I get home just to be sure.
Old 02 February 2017, 12:42   #80
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

i wonder if the Amiga version is not simply a hack'n'upgraded version of the ST code.

Because i'm sure the guys had to spend a lot of time on it on the ST. Question : why not on the Amiga ? Seriously ?