English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.Green Amiga Alien GUIDES

Old 13 October 2009, 09:01   #261
amiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillaByte View Post
Not to raise too much expectations here - if I'll look into this any further it won't be in the next few weeks.

Maybe Arti can be of help; he proved to be very talented.
Old 13 October 2009, 15:42   #262
Charlie
. . Mouse . .

I don't know GC at all but I do remember what prompted his departure from the Amiga scene...

He got a lot of sh*t from 'fellow' Amithlon users for his 'illegal' behaviour over the Amithlon sources, basically:
Complainer(s): 'Hey, you (choose your rude expression), why don't you post the sources for your kernels? It's all GPL you know, it's illegal not to include sources... (more name-calling)'
GC: 'Why so rude? I've done the kernels in my own time for nothing, the binary files are hosted on my own server with limited bandwidth. As the sources are very large I've said many times I'll gladly send them to anyone who actually asks, so far nobody has!'
Complainer(s): 'That's just not right, it's against GPL you (more rude name-calling), I don't care if you have bandwidth issues... bla, bla.'
-For a while things simmered down & the 3.0 kernel came out-
GC: 'Oops, my HDD's died taking the source of the new 3.1 kernel with it. Sorry guys, I'll start rebuilding when I've got time, but this is going to put the project back a bit.'
Complainer(s): 'Ah-ha! SEE, he never intended to publish the sources, it's all a fit-up, the (yet more unreasonable name-calling). I think some kind of legal advice should be sort against GC for his behavior!'
-Yes, the personal attacks against GC get that nasty & petty-
-When I've lost stuff to hardware failures I got sympathy-
-Some time later...-
GC: 'I've finally got things together again, here's the (rather delayed) 3.1 for any who want it.'
Complainer(s): 'So when are you going the publish the sources? It's against GPL to withhold them you know... bla, bla, bla'
GC: 'Enough!!!'
-And so he abandoned the Amiga / Amithlon scene-

I've never been in direct contact with GC but watched the slagging-off he took from the sidelines with some amazement - if memory serves I think this was the start of my own annoyance with the amithlon.open group which eventually precipitated my public (and now for me rather embarrassing) hissey-fit when I thoroughly burned my bridges...
...It's a shame GC doesn't reply to his e-mails about Amithlon, I wish he would, I guess he feels justified even if it wouldn't hurt to reply to polite requests.
Old 03 November 2009, 14:18   #263
milanca

Hi guys, I just wanted to greet all of you. Alpyre, Charlie, how are you doing champs?

Oh yes, my amithlon still works like a charm;-) for a year .. or two now :-)

Regarding kernel, i fully support the idea to start working on it. It's bad that Gary doesn't respond to any emails, i am sure we would all appreciate his help, but it is what it is now and we should start working on something on our own. When we have the patches against the original kernel we could try to build it, that would be great for the start and we can continue from there. Examining patches there are not so many lines of code (more than a half of the main patch is linux logo). I have built several kernels for my server but i am far from kernel expert but i talked to one who told me that patches for 2.4 can be modified and applied to 2.6 kernel.
Old 04 November 2009, 00:08   #264
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by milanca View Post
Hi guys, I just wanted to greet all of you. Alpyre, Charlie, how are you doing champs?

Oh yes, my amithlon still works like a charm;-) for a year .. or two now :-)

Regarding kernel, i fully support the idea to start working on it. It's bad that Gary doesn't respond to any emails, i am sure we would all appreciate his help, but it is what it is now and we should start working on something on our own. When we have the patches against the original kernel we could try to build it, that would be great for the start and we can continue from there. Examining patches there are not so many lines of code (more than a half of the main patch is linux logo). I have built several kernels for my server but i am far from kernel expert but i talked to one who told me that patches for 2.4 can be modified and applied to 2.6 kernel.
And would that then give us some support for more modern hardware? I wish...

I really would cough some money for a new Amithlon kernel... I'm sure some money would come from others. Maybe not a lot but enough for a dev to get himself properly drunk!!
Old 04 November 2009, 20:22   #265
alpyre

@Methanoid:
Yeah! Maybe we - the Amithlon admirers - shall start a bounty for a new kernel&drivers... There are several bounties around these days... Why not an Amithlon bounty?
Old 19 November 2009, 02:28   #266
alpyre

Hi there Charlie, hi there everyone... How're things? Things are nice over here...

After the release of Ubuntu Karmic Koala (9.10), icArosLive 1.1.5, and GNU Grub 1.97b I decided to add these stuff into my PC. I've been experimenting with partitions, installers, bootloaders ect. for some days now. At last I figured out how all the pieces work and successfully made a Quad boot PC for Windows, Ubuntu(Linux), Aros and Amithlon.

What's better is: I've found a way to install Amithlon without the use of any Primary partitions.

What's even better is: I've also written an uptodate guide that tries to explain "How to make it" as simply as it could get.

The guide is available in three different formats :
How to Quad Boot Amithlon v1.0.pdf - PDF
How to Quad Boot Amithlon v1.0.odt - OpenOfficeDocument
How to Quad Boot Amithlon v1.0.doc - Word Document

I hope it becomes helpful for everyone that keeps this thread alive...
Cheers Charlie!
Old 19 November 2009, 20:21   #267
prowler
Global Moderator

Nice work, alpyre! Thanks.
Old 19 November 2009, 20:58   #268
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
Thanks alpyre, took me a while find the link but got it now
Old 20 November 2009, 00:35   #269
tero

Yeah
Old 20 November 2009, 09:20   #270
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpyre View Post
Hi there Charlie, hi there everyone... How're things? Things are nice over here...

After the release of Ubuntu Karmic Koala (9.10), icArosLive 1.1.5, and GNU Grub 1.97b I decided to add these stuff into my PC. I've been experimenting with partitions, installers, bootloaders ect. for some days now. At last I figured out how all the pieces work and successfully made a Quad boot PC for Windows, Ubuntu(Linux), Aros and Amithlon.

What's better is: I've found a way to install Amithlon without the use of any Primary partitions.

What's even better is: I've also written an uptodate guide that tries to explain "How to make it" as simply as it could get.

The guide is available in three different formats :
How to Quad Boot Amithlon v1.0.pdf - PDF
How to Quad Boot Amithlon v1.0.odt - OpenOfficeDocument
How to Quad Boot Amithlon v1.0.doc - Word Document

I hope it becomes helpful for everyone that keeps this thread alive...
Cheers Charlie!
I was quad booting some months back in discussion with Charlie (XP, OSX, Ubuntu and Amithlon) and Ubuntu doesnt need a primary partition to boot from so you can put Ubuntu, Swap, Icaros (assume?), Amiga FFS on your Shared Data partitions ALL on one extended partition and then put XP on a primary and any OS that needs a primary on its own primary partition (OSX in my case). You can dump your Amithlon boot files (a few Mb for kernel) on your Ubuntu partition and load them from there.

I guess now we have to Quintuple boot (or more)... I've just discovered (late!!) Icaros, plus there's Win7 to pop in the mix. I'm looking now for a new system for that!

However I'd happily take some advice on Icaros as the LiveCD refuses to boot on any of my machines. It just hangs after selecting the option (eg VESA, no USB, Safe Mode).. I better see if the EAB has an AROS/ICAROS forum!

I'd like to see another of your Amithlon BootCDs with maybe more permutations on the options? It would be helpful for people to be able to test their machines for compatibility (and share the info!!! )
Old 20 November 2009, 14:39   #271
alpyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methanoid View Post
I'd like to see another of your Amithlon BootCDs with maybe more permutations on the options? It would be helpful for people to be able to test their machines for compatibility (and share the info!!! )
Some people report that they cannot boot my Amithlon CD's even if they had the right hardware. Thats mostly because of the conflict between the "mem=" paramater in kernel command line and the amount of Ram on their systems. I'll will be working on that soon (not a new boot menu but maybe an addendum to the document on how to use the "e" key).

Quote:
You can dump your Amithlon boot files (a few Mb for kernel) on your Ubuntu partition and load them from there.
That is surely possible. But how do you boot Aros using Ubuntu's Grub? What is the Linux pathname of a Logical Amiga SFS partition within a Type30 partition? How do you "set root" to that partition?
or
Do you copy the Aros Kernels to your Ubuntu boot folder too? Is it possible to boot from there? These are the things I couldn't figure out and the reason that I use Aros' Grub to boot all the other ones.
Old 23 November 2009, 15:51   #272
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiga View Post
Maybe Arti can be of help; he proved to be very talented.
I could live without modern hardware support (but it'd be nice) in Kernel 2.6x rather than Amithlon's current 2.4x base but I really would LOVE a kernel that would allow me to have 4Gb in my machine even if it disables all above 512mb... Its such a PITA to have to have a machine with 1Gb as 2Gb or more WONT boot!!

How's the work going Killabyte? Don't forget us!!
Old 29 November 2009, 18:16   #273
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Could someone share their working MENU.LST entry for Amithlon... Since they introduced grub2 I have to put it in another form but memory has failed me...

I'm doing a quintuple boot machine: W7 / OSX / Ubuntu / Amithlon / Icaros

Got Amithlon on HDD but need to get it booting by loading the Smallird.gz from the Ubuntu partition
Old 01 December 2009, 01:28   #274
alpyre

Hi Methanoid... you can find details in my QuadBoot document...
Anyway, the entry I use is as follows...

Code:
menuentry "AmigaOS 3.9" {
linux16 /boot/kern310 console_level=0 init=/linuxrc root=/dev/ram0 mem=768M vga=769 ramdisk_size=2310 leavepages=5200 cachesize=65536 
initrd16 /boot/smallird.gz
}
Old 01 December 2009, 14:17   #275
KillaByte

Quote:
How's the work going Killabyte? Don't forget us!!
At the moment I'v lost interest in hacking Amithlon kernels since I don't use Amithlon on a regular basis and this is really quite a lot of work. But if I ever pick up on it, you'll be the first ones to know
Old 03 December 2009, 12:38   #276
Ratte

http://www.a1k.org/forum/showthread.php?p=303053
Old 04 December 2009, 09:30   #277
amiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratte View Post

Can u translate for non-german speaking people ?
It has something to do with a new amithlon kernel, right ?
Old 04 December 2009, 11:47   #278
tero

In short he(Scrat) compiled a 2.4.35.3 Amithlon kernel with the diff-patch found in Aminet
Followed by discussions about the Linux/Amithlon versions of the linuxrc (Amithlon Linucrc=modifiedUAE) and how it all works (additions in/for the uae part)
And he is looking on the gfx drivers, last comment is about the additions which are made to it.
It's not a guide, so you won't find many details

It's worth to have an eye on it
Old 05 December 2009, 03:26   #279
milanca

Time is definitely not on my side, lots of work these days keeping me super ultra busy. I wish i was back in the days when i could work on things i enjoy the most :-(

Regarding the kernel, well, my plan was to setup a build environment and compile the latest amithlon kernel we have sources for (actually patches against vanilla kernel). This is where i get lost. Are the links posted by "Killabyte" a couple of posts above the latest amithlon patches we have ? If not, will someone please post it here or PM with the latest patches for amithlon we could download from the net to start it from there. Once the environment is set up and we can successfully compile native 2.4 kernel we could try porting it to 2.6.

What i did in the meantime (regarding @tero post, kernel 2.4.35.3) is that i setup an environment and i compiled kernel 2.4.35.3 with the patch file from aminet (still not sure as i said before if this is all needed or the latest patch file we can get? also, it's only one patch file, Killabyte posted links to patches with several diff file.

So, this version i have is compiled but i can't test this 2.4 kernel yet. My amithlon box is at my weekend house with all the CD's. Not sure if i could test it in VMWare either. If someone wants to give it a go and test the kernel i will post the link here, or send to PM, whatever. For me to test in vmware i would need that small hard disk image from amithlon cd (until i go and take my disks) so if someone can, please send that ramdisk image to me.

@tero, the forum you pointed out is great just too bad for me its all in German and i don't understand a word. It would be great if several amithlon kernel developers could get together, google code or something, join the forces and port it to 2.6 once for all.

Best regards guys
Old 05 December 2009, 11:31   #280
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

If 2.6 finally allows me to physically have 4gb in a machine and still run Amithlon then I'm MORE than willing to test for anyone.. several Amithlon compatible machines here