English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hall Of Light > HOL suggestions and feedback

Old 14 April 2003, 11:35   #1
Tim Janssen

Do you accept scanned adverts?

I noticed at HOL some misc. scans of games-adverts are added. Do you accept these scans?

I have some very rare scans in my posession e.g. a one-page advert of Ocean's Epic in ZERO magazine in 1990(!) which is totally different from the final game, an advert of Ocean's FA Premier League which later became European Champions, and some beautiful scans of games like Pot Panic, Knightforce, Bug Bomber and Leander.
Old 14 April 2003, 14:25   #2
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Absolutely! The pre-1990 stuff I find to be the coolest because it's so less common. I have moutains of pre-1990 mags from the US which I will eventually get around to scanning (the Rocket Ranger is one example I have already gotten to and I think it's a gem!), but I have only a small number of European mags from this time period, so I always covet those goodies. Many of the ads are even better looking than the boxes for the games, too.

At work, I have a pile of Amiga mags in my desk drawer, there for the scanning, but it seems that for the last several months that my job has kept me entirely too busy to make the time to scan the bloody things. (sigh) In the meantime, we are building quite a stunning museum at the Hall of Light, so any contributions of the sort would be most welcome!
Old 14 April 2003, 14:53   #3
Tim Janssen

I do own only a couple of pre-1990 mags (some Zzaps, and two CU Amigas) so I will dig them up soon. Currently I have two mags in The Hague: Zero - November 1990 and Amiga Joker - January 1992.
Especially Zero has wonderful two-page ads of Obitus, Turrican 1 and Awesome. I don't know how to scan them in as the pages need to be 'pasted' together. Anyway, I will start with the simple one-page ads.
Can I upload them in The Zone?
Old 15 April 2003, 02:27   #4
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Janssen
I don't know how to scan them in as the pages need to be 'pasted' together. Anyway, I will start with the simple one-page ads.
Can I upload them in The Zone?
The Zone or the Contributions FTP, whichever.

As for scanning two-page ads, it is tricky. You'll need to make 2 scans, natch. If you need help getting them pasted together, let me know. The hardest part is keeping the brightness and color settings locked so that they will be identical on the two scans. The old Epson scanning drivers for ADPro on the Amiga allowed me to lock those values for each scan, but I have yet to see PC scanning software that has considered this. I have seen options to do this on various scanning tools for the PC, but they never work.
Old 15 April 2003, 10:36   #5
Tim Janssen

Cool Leander in The Zone

I think the biggest ‘problem’ of scanning two page adverts is in the way the pages are pasted in a magazine. Pages in Zzap are easy to scan because they are hold together with brackets. Zero-magazine on the other hand has a hard side-cover and the pages are pasted. Scanning a picture in this magazine often results in parts of the page are not visible. Anyway, I will try to scan the 2-page adverts in, because they are too beautiful to neglect.

Scanning a page takes ages on my scanner. Currently I have only uploaded the Leander ad in The Zone which took me 25 minutes to scan. If I do other tasks on my PC during scanning, the whole scanned picture gets messed up. Talk about multitasking.
In the scanned advert, look at the text below the introduction story: Psygnosis holds the right to slightly alter this part of the story whenever necessary.

If I upload adverts in The Zone, I will keep you posted in this thread.

Oh, I almost forgot: try to PM Big-Byte for scanned adverts in Zzap! He knows Iian Black (owner of http://www.zzap64.co.uk) who once posted every single page of 104 issues of Zzap (including adverts for Amiga games) online. If you want classic eighties-ads, this is they guy to contact.
Old 15 April 2003, 12:00   #6
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Re: Leander in The Zone

Quote:
I think the biggest ‘problem’ of scanning two page adverts is in the way the pages are pasted in a magazine. Pages in Zzap are easy to scan because they are hold together with brackets. Zero-magazine on the other hand has a hard side-cover and the pages are pasted. Scanning a picture in this magazine often results in parts of the page are not visible. Anyway, I will try to scan the 2-page adverts in, because they are too beautiful to neglect.
That's a good point. Some mags that use the glue-bound spines almost need the issues to be ruined in order to properly scan them. I have some duplicate mags that I plan on doing just that with (and if I am going to do that, I may as well scan the entire magazine while I am at it!) I would have no problem 'disassembling' my US mags, but none of them ever had two-page adverts for games, either.
Quote:
Scanning a page takes ages on my scanner. Currently I have only uploaded the Leander ad in The Zone which took me 25 minutes to scan. If I do other tasks on my PC during scanning, the whole scanned picture gets messed up. Talk about multitasking.
How come it takes so long? Is it a parallel port scanner? There's a lot of inconsistency on scanners and scanning software on the PC. I have used some scanners that are so slow, I ended up unhooking them and throwing them in the trash (literally). At work, we have two scanners that I have access to. The newest one is lightning fast and has a very nice frontend interface. The ability to check out the speed, quality and software for scanners before one buys is nearly impossible, though.

Thanks for the scans and for keeping us posted on them! It really is a big help. And yes, permissions to use the adverts from the ZZap scans would be a dream! And will keep me from having to scan the few copies I have, as well! Cheers for the suggestion!
Old 15 April 2003, 13:02   #7
Tim Janssen

Yes, I have an older scanner which is connected to the parallel port. When I bought my new WinXP PC I feared the scanner would not work anymore, but miraculously it does. Normally I don’t scan in complete A4 pages in colour, so the slow speed isn’t normally a hindrance.
Tonight I will fire up the PC and scan in ads of Epic (the strange early 1990-ad) and Oh No! More lemmings!. In the mean time I'll cook some dinner, phone friends and watch TV.
Old 16 April 2003, 09:35   #8
Tim Janssen

Post New ads

Buck Rogers 1, Covert Action, Epic, Oh no more Lemmings and Robocod-ads are uploaded in The Zone.

Edit: I noticed the Robocod-zip contains the wrong jpeg-file. My apologies. Tomorrow I'll upload the correct file.

Last edited by Tim Janssen; 16 April 2003 at 09:46.
Old 16 April 2003, 12:10   #9
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Thanks, Tim. They have been added to HOL and you have been given the points. For every 100 points you get, RCK will be buying contributors a pint of hard whiskey.
Old 16 April 2003, 12:56   #10
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Twistin'Ghost
Thanks, Tim. They have been added to HOL and you have been given the points. For every 100 points you get, RCK will be buying contributors a pint of hard whiskey.
Hopefully RCK will ship the EAB T-Shirts along with the whiskey!
Old 16 April 2003, 14:58   #11
RCK
Administrator

{off-topic}

Well, the first release of T-shirt was too bad for being sent !

I'm waiting to have:
- enough money to print HQ black T-shirt.
- some more advanced gfx.
Old 16 April 2003, 15:30   #12
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Unhappy Re: Leander in The Zone

Quote:
Oh, I almost forgot: try to PM Big-Byte for scanned adverts in Zzap! He knows Iian Black (owner of http://www.zzap64.co.uk) who once posted every single page of 104 issues of Zzap (including adverts for Amiga games) online. If you want classic eighties-ads, this is they guy to contact.
That was a great shame that all those scanned pages were lost, wasn't it forced to shut down,(or should I more exactly say remove the scanned Zzap pages),due to leechers exceeding its bandwidth usage or something? A great shame to the majority after all that work preserving/presenting all those issues online.
Old 16 April 2003, 15:36   #13
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Re: {off-topic}

Quote:
Originally posted by RCK
Well, the first release of T-shirt was too bad for being sent !

I'm waiting to have:
- enough money to print HQ black T-shirt.
- some more advanced gfx.
I need a T-shirt for the Extreme Computing 2003 show (if it is still happening) with logos for HOL, EAB, APoV and CAPS on it!
Old 17 April 2003, 10:04   #14
Tim Janssen

Smile And another 5 points scored...

Agony, Atomic Robokid, Celtic Legends, Final Command and Robocod uploaded in The Zone.
Old 23 April 2003, 08:56   #15
Tim Janssen

Cool Six new ads in The Zone

Ads of Black Crypt, Paradroid '90, Ranx, Special Forces, Theatre of Death and USS John Young 2 are uploaded in The Zone.
Especially Ranx was difficult to scan in because it is printed on one of the last pages of Zero magazine. I hope you will accept the result.

@7-Zark-7,
Yeah, it is a shame the scanned Zzap magazines were pulled off. It had to happen sooner or later with all that leeching going on. A single scanned paged took at least 200 Kb, Zzap featured generally 130 pages, and approx. 90 mags were put online - the whole site took up a whopping 2.5 Gigabyte!
Luckily some scanned mags are reappearing online and the scans can be ordered on a CD.
Old 28 April 2003, 15:22   #16
Tim Janssen

Cool Zzap-ads

FYI, it seems Iian Black (host of http://www.zzap64.co.uk) is adding some more scanned Zzap! issues online. In the issues which appeared in 1987 I have found some Amiga/C64 adverts which I put in The Zone.
Old 06 May 2003, 08:24   #17
Tim Janssen

Dragonstone & Premier Manager 3 ads wanted?

@Twistin,
At the moment I have a copy of Amiga Computing, December 1994, at home which features two ads: Dragonstone and Premier Manager 3. Are you interested in scans of these two ads or do you already have these ads in your posession?
Old 07 May 2003, 01:19   #18
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

I might possibly have them in my possession in my closet under an avalanche of Amiga mags, but I have assigned higher priority to my more obscure adverts (namely, from ugly US mags), so yes, scans of these would be a gas!

And since I am here anyways, thanks for bumping this thread back up. I felt pretty sure there was a load of adverts that I'd not processed yet and seeing a post of yours above confirms this. I will probably be able to get to those tonight.
Old 08 May 2003, 08:15   #19
Tim Janssen

Smile Dragonstone & Premier Manager 3 uploaded

F.Y.I. The Premier Manager 3-ad also features some info about the 'fortcoming' Premier Manager: Multi-Edit System.
Old 08 May 2003, 10:29   #20
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Thanks, Tim. I have added those two and am banging up the rest of the ones you upped! Good stuff, as always.