English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hall Of Light > HOL contributions

Old 04 January 2003, 18:52   #1
Toaks

Wink Ultima 1 Screenshots

ok i got help from a friend who has a pc and he grabbed the ultima 1 shots for me.

happy now? , still not released?

ultima 2 is comming later on!, just need to relocate my house first
Old 04 January 2003, 20:36   #2
RetroMan

Uhm .... you made Screenshots from a PeCe Version to confirm that it was released on Amiga ???
Old 04 January 2003, 23:12   #3
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Those screenshots come from a hacked version of a PD game called Zerg:

http://amiga.emucamp.com/zerg.htm

It's hacked to include the Ultima name, to fool people into thinking it is Ultima 1.

We need proper screens from the real version of Ultima 1 and 2, if they exist on the Amiga...
Old 04 January 2003, 23:16   #4
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

Cool

Has anyone seen this. I reckon it's pretty good. It's a remake of the original Ultima but with very nice looking 3D graphics.

http://www.peroxide.dk/ultima/
Old 04 January 2003, 23:25   #5
RetroMan

Quote:
Originally posted by CodyJarrett
...if they exist on the Amiga...
They don´t
Old 05 January 2003, 00:03   #6
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Quote:
Originally posted by RetroMan
They don´t
I agree and I stand by my contention that these games are simply not on the Amiga. I'd love to be proved wrong, as this has gone back and forth for years and years. But my years of intensive research indicate that they just aren't on the Amiga. And frankly, I still say Gauntlet I isn't on the Amiga, either.
Old 05 January 2003, 02:39   #7
Toaks

hmm what?, weird ,wellfor me it says "ultima 1.0" , and the jiffy bag from the af club says so also and the paper sheet (tou this is thecracked version (well illegal anyway)

sorry for the fuzz then.

and Retroman , yes it was SNAPSHOTTED in UAE on a PC , last time i checked this is the only option(or AMIGA UAE which is horrible slow)
you have a prob with that or?.

anyway it beats me why someone would hack a game and say its ultima 1 ;( .

i guess my sequel is the same as well then (as i think a simmilar jiffy/transparent bag is on that one also (i may be wrong tou)
Old 05 January 2003, 02:49   #8
oldpx

Quote:
They don´t
Yep, this has been discussed before and we had found a deleted html document that used to be on origin's website from google's cache, stating which version of ultimas released on which platforms.

@Steve
drake posted that a few months ago, the game will be good if it gets released but it requires a ridiculous amount of computing power, and is A LOT slower than even morrowind

Old 05 January 2003, 07:17   #9
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Quote:
Originally posted by tonya
hmm what?, weird ,wellfor me it says "ultima 1.0" , and the jiffy bag from the af club says so also and the paper sheet (tou this is thecracked version (well illegal anyway)

sorry for the fuzz then.

and Retroman , yes it was SNAPSHOTTED in UAE on a PC , last time i checked this is the only option(or AMIGA UAE which is horrible slow)
you have a prob with that or?.

anyway it beats me why someone would hack a game and say its ultima 1 ;( .

i guess my sequel is the same as well then (as i think a simmilar jiffy/transparent bag is on that one also (i may be wrong tou)
Actually, it was coded in AMOS, so it's an easy hack with a hex editor. And it was never remotely commercial, so never cracked (Zerg). The reason someone would hack the Ultima name into a PD game is the same reason lamers used to upload PD games to pirate boards, trying to pass them off as commercial w-a-r-e-z (haha...I beat the filter!) by simply including a cracktro. It was a fairly common practice in the Amiga piracy glory years and was a way for people that didn't have any real cracking/spreading skills/goods to sneak their way through the tight system. Or it provided quick credits that may have been needed to leech some file that the courier may have wanted and didn't have enough new upload credz to grab it with.

As a sidenote, I have seen this same game spread as Zelda.

I'd be interested in seeing your sequel...not because I believe it is Ultima II, but I am curious as to what (PD) game they actually are masking as UII. And because if there was a fake out there, it's a part of the whole historical picture, IMHO.
Old 05 January 2003, 10:46   #10
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

Quote:
Originally posted by Burseg @Steve
drake posted that a few months ago, the game will be good if it gets released but it requires a ridiculous amount of computing power, and is A LOT slower than even morrowind
It looks great but it still needs a lot of work. I'm looking forward to the tech3 demo where magic should be implemented. As for it requiring a ridiculous amount of computing power I found it runs very smoothly apart from when you get to the big town area and it slows down a bit. I only have an AMD Athlon 600 so it should run perfect on a 1Ghz system. Maybe it's graphics card power it needs. I use a 64MB GeForce 3 Titanium 200.
Old 05 January 2003, 12:18   #11
oldpx

That's the graphic card. A game shouldn't be slow on your card!!! I have GeForce2 GTS 32mb and it's unplayable in town.

Old 05 January 2003, 13:36   #12
Drake1009

Quote:
@Steve
drake posted that a few months ago, the game will be good if it gets released but it requires a ridiculous amount of computing power, and is A LOT slower than even morrowind [/B]
It ran fine on my 533 mhz with GeForce1, not best quality but ran fine though. Runs better than morrowind does for me. But then I heard that I could get a lot of performance by installing the no-cr crack.
Old 05 January 2003, 13:40   #13
Toaks

lol well now i feel like a "doofus" (moron) , oh well i will continue my search in my house but i kinda lost all inspiration now..

mission 1: clean my house
MIssion 2: move all (rest) scanned boxes into another room
mission 3: get my gf away for a small vacation so she wont NAG about all the boxes as much .
mission 4: Find Ultima 2 in my hall of boxes.
mission 5: make napshots (my pc UAE friend will have to help again!)
missions completed.

hehe i just noticed that im still drunk
Old 05 January 2003, 14:21   #14
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Twistin'Ghost
And frankly, I still say Gauntlet I isn't on the Amiga, either.
It wasn't released on Amiga despite the insistence of a few bullshit artists I know. They say they have it but have never been able to provide any proof of it when asked. Have never seen a review of Gauntlet either in the Amiga mags despite having an extensive collection of them dating back to 1986. Same goes for other fabled Amiga games like Skate or Die and Super Sprint. Would dearly love for a few of these fabled games to materialise, but it's not like there has been a shortage of people searching for them!
Old 05 January 2003, 17:17   #15
jmmijo

This is a most interesting thread and I see why so many are interested too.

I do recall seeing both Ultima I and Gauntlet I and have them but only on my C64, sorry about that

I do seem to recall a push to get both titles out/ported to the Amiga at one time but don't remember their respective release dates, or what the publishers were intending to be release dates.

I seem to recall that Ultima I was based on something that Lord British put out originally on the Apple II platform, something with Arabeth in the title perhaps ?!? When the C64 version came out, this was long after 2, 3, 4 was out so they updated Ultima I a bit in the graphics department and released it on the C64 and I think the Atari 8-bits and perhaps even the PC
Old 05 January 2003, 17:23   #16
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Akalabeth was Ultima 0. The dungeon code from it went into Ultima 1.
Old 05 January 2003, 17:25   #17
jmmijo

Thanks Cody, now I remember Arabeth is a character from Neverwinter Nights
Old 05 March 2017, 23:58   #18
macce2
Retro maniac

Wouldn' t it be possible for Ultima 1 & 2 to be ported to Amiga ?! It would be great
Old 06 March 2017, 01:31   #19
puppypc

Given the effort that's been made to port Amiga/16-bit games to the C64, I'm surprised the reverse hasn't happened with Ultimas 1+2.
Old 06 March 2017, 02:14   #20
macce2
Retro maniac

Yeah, I totally agree! And generally, many older amiga ports of older C64 games are often quite bad, actually.
Shame because Amigas potential compared to C64 is so much better..