English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 01 November 2002, 18:19   #1
Camerhil

Battle Squadron special weapon

I absolutely love Battle Squadron, but my big problem is that the special move involves holding down the fire button and moving in a really tight circle, which is near impossible on my Microsoft Sidewinder Gamepad Pro (yeah, it's a crappy pad, but it's all I could find).

I don't want to use the keyboard if I can help it - has anyone else encountered the same problem? Maybe some kind of key scripting routine would help?

Cheers

Old 03 November 2002, 07:49   #2
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Hmm, I used to have this problem when playing with my Mega-Drive joypad, then I discovered something interesting.

Just hold the button, then press UP then LEFT then DOWN then RIGHT.. the bomb will go, you don't have to do a perfect circle

Actually, you just need to hold the button, and put in each direction, it doesn't even need to be in the right order. If you make DOWN, UP, RIGHT, LEFT or UP, LEFT, RIGHT, DOWN or anything like that, it will work.

Alternatively, play with the mouse
Old 03 November 2002, 10:37   #3
Frootloop

Stick out tongue Special Move

I believe if you press the space bar on the title screen, an options screen will appear allowing you to select a two button joystick so you can just press the second button for the special weapon.

EDIT: Nope, sorry, I was wrong. Arrrgh! But the mouse works fine (right button for special weapon), if not a bit too sensitive.
Old 03 November 2002, 16:07   #4
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Well, but if you press the space bar, an option screen will show up anyway... It took me sometime to find this out
Old 04 November 2002, 18:17   #5
Camerhil

I've just thought - could you set the game to use the mouse controller, then remap the buttons of your gamepad to emulate the mouse buttons? That way, button 2 would do the business.

Old 04 November 2002, 22:04   #6
Akira

Quote:
Originally posted by Camerhil
I've just thought - could you set the game to use the mouse controller, then remap the buttons of your gamepad to emulate the mouse buttons? That way, button 2 would do the business.
Even if you can, you'd have to control the ship with your mouse and fire with the pad. A no-no!

I'm almost sure Button 2 should work as the spacebar.. Did you try?
Old 04 November 2002, 22:50   #7
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

As far as I remember, it doesn't. The ONLY way to use the special weapon in Battle Squadron without playing with the mouse is by holding the fire button and rotating the joystick. (Again, I may be wrong, long time the last time I played this gem on a real amiga)

But you can use the procedure I said, I used it when playing with my Mega-Drive joypad.
Old 05 November 2002, 04:51   #8
th4t1guy

I thought you could execute the special weapon by pressing space bar during the game.

That's the way it worked in Hybris, and if I remember right, Battle Squadron was made by the same guys.
Old 05 November 2002, 06:53   #9
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Hmm, maybe I am wrong, but I really don't remember being able to use the bomb with the space bar.

or else, how the 2nd player would do it?

And yes, it was done by the same Hybris team, Innerprise.
Old 05 November 2002, 12:49   #10
Camerhil

Sadly the space bar doesn't trigger the bomb. Shatterhand, I've tried holding down fire and then tapping up, left, down and right, but I don't think the Sidewinder pad is up to the task. The pad is big and cumbersome, and it's difficult to get precision moves out of it.

I only went for the Sidewinder because it was the only model in stock. Damn Microsoft and their monopoly.

Oh well, guess I'll be playing with keys again. At least Hybris and Alien Breed work beautifully on the pad.

Cheers guys

Old 06 November 2002, 00:44   #11
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Hmm, then I dunno really. I never used a Sidewinder, so I can't tell how bad or good it is. But with the sega joypad, you didn't even had to do it fast, even doing it slowly would fire the bomb.

Play with the mouse isn't half that bad
Old 06 November 2002, 05:19   #12
Akira

Quote:
Originally posted by Shatterhand
Hmm, then I dunno really. I never used a Sidewinder, so I can't tell how bad or good it is. But with the sega joypad, you didn't even had to do it fast, even doing it slowly would fire the bomb.
That's because the Sega Genesis/Megadrive joypad absolutely ROCKS, being the BEST gamepad ever. And the M$ Sidewinder is nothing but poo. On a stick.
Old 12 August 2004, 20:43   #13
Hillsy_

I also have the Microsoft Sidewinder joypad....

Camerhil, do the motion slowly, not fast ok? I found that if you stay calm while playing then you can do the bomb. I know when you have bad guys everywhere it is difficult..too pumped up!! But try it, I am getting better at pulling off the bomb now.

- Hillsy.
Old 12 August 2004, 22:40   #14
Kodoichi
Banned

Location: I'm the smiling face on your TV, I exploit you still you love me
06 November 2002
I doubt that Camerhil (not even registered) will have a look at this thread again.
Old 12 August 2004, 23:39   #15
jrom
Wannabe asm coder ;)

well... it made me look :P
Old 13 August 2004, 18:56   #16
Shoonay
Global Caturator

on the WHDLoad version, you can actually use your joy pad/sticks 2nd button for the Nova missile... but it works only for one player... the one that's usin' the joy port ... so the 2nd port... but it will be taken' care of