English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 05 January 2018, 21:53   #1
mcgeezer

Bomb Jack Beer Edition

Hi all,

Aside from my family, I love three things in life.

I love...
  • the memories of my Commodore Amiga
  • the memories of playing Bomb Jack in the Arcades and...
  • BEER!

So I thought, well why not merge all these three things together and come up with Bomb Jack Beer Edition for the Amiga A500.

If you look through the coders forum you might have seen my journey to building this game, it sorta started with a sprite driver concept and well... now it's this.

[ Show youtube player ]

I'll keep updating the coders thread I have with the technical challenges and updates of the game development but will keep this thread non-technical.
If you share the same love of things that I do then why not discuss it, besides the Elite/Paradox port of the game was a big load of dump for the Amiga.

There's still lots to do in the game development though but the majority of the hard parts are complete.

I reckon I should be able to release sometime in February - much will depend on if I can source/develop the music and SFX for the game.

Hope you enjoy the nostalgic memories, this is a great journey for me developing the game.

Geezer

PS. The game has lots of bugs, sometimes I record the bugs using YoutUbe to review them.

Most recent version: http://109.228.4.199/bombjack_final_aga.adf

Last edited by lilalurl; 06 September 2018 at 17:24.
Old 05 January 2018, 22:04   #2
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Beer edition?
Old 05 January 2018, 22:07   #3
jotd
This cat is no more

holy crap the gfx are excellent. and it's fast. Much better than the crap Elite version. Can't wait to see that finished!

If you need some help for the sfx let me know. I can get them from the original game. And the music, that could be re-done without too many hassle as well as .mod.

That and the Rygar project !! what a year! I'll be following this.
Old 05 January 2018, 22:12   #4
mcgeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
Beer edition?
Yeah.

Jack has to collect 24 bombs. If I change the bombs to beers then Jack has to collect 24 beers and thus complete a crate.

Not all completely devised yet but that's general idea, i dunno submit ideas and I'll implement them, (as long as they're beer related I guess).
Old 05 January 2018, 22:19   #5
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

This is looking great pal! Hope you manage to finish it, really looking forward to play this on my A600
Old 05 January 2018, 22:21   #6
mcgeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
holy crap the gfx are excellent. and it's fast. Much better than the crap Elite version. Can't wait to see that finished!

If you need some help for the sfx let me know. I can get them from the original game. And the music, that could be re-done without too many hassle as well as .mod.

That and the Rygar project !! what a year! I'll be following this.
Nice one, I may take you up on that.

I'll likely put a fair amount of effort into trying to convert these from the arcade version. The sound chip(s) in the arcade is the same that is in the ST so I'll try and get a player working for somewhere (hopefully).
Old 05 January 2018, 22:49   #7
Amiten
Banned

Looks Great! I hope you can finish this guys , I have start also a AMOS version here my little progress , [ Show youtube player ] , regards
Old 06 January 2018, 10:00   #8
jotd
This cat is no more

as long as you allow to stick to bombs in the options.

My plan for the sfx would be to turn off music and rip the samples on the arcade game. Already did that in another MAME game (to rip the music without the sfx). Of course that would mean samples.
For the music, I doubt that you find a .mod in the ROM It will probably need full rewrite in .mod format.

Some NES rips here: https://www.zophar.net/music/nintend...-bomb-jack-pal

only 2 or 3 music tracks are the same as the arcade. Others are different. Disappointing.
Old 06 January 2018, 19:14   #9
mcgeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
as long as you allow to stick to bombs in the options.
Not entirely sure what you mean by this? Was it in another version of Bomb Jack?
Old 06 January 2018, 19:32   #10
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgeezer View Post
Not entirely sure what you mean by this? Was it in another version of Bomb Jack?
I think he means even if you change bombs to beer in your "Beer edition", you should have an option to also have normal bombs just like the arcade version

-

Maybe you should be porting Tapper instead of Bomb Jack?
Old 06 January 2018, 20:15   #11
mcgeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatterhand View Post
I think he means even if you change bombs to beer in your "Beer edition", you should have an option to also have normal bombs just like the arcade version

-

Maybe you should be porting Tapper instead of Bomb Jack?
Ughh. Ofcourse. Bombs or beers. Been a strange day.

Tapper not a bad idea, wonder if it was ever ported properly. Loved it on 800xl
Old 06 January 2018, 23:42   #12
jotd
This cat is no more

Tapper also exists on arcade ( [ Show youtube player ]). Try to replace beer by bombs in that one.
Old 07 January 2018, 17:19   #13
happymondays

Beer Jack... nice one
Old 07 January 2018, 22:39   #14
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Ok, as my two cents some ideas:
since you plan to replace bombs with beers, why do not add some impairment after you swallow too much beers, like flight start to be wobbly or controls to have a lag? (maybe changing firing bombs in open beers and adding drunkness only when you get the open ones)

second, i could help in chiptuning some of the in-game songs a bit like in the remastered c64 version if needed, including la dernier rumba that was peculiar to c64 :P
Old 07 January 2018, 23:29   #15
mcgeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by saimon69 View Post
Ok, as my two cents some ideas:
since you plan to replace bombs with beers, why do not add some impairment after you swallow too much beers, like flight start to be wobbly or controls to have a lag? (maybe changing firing bombs in open beers and adding drunkness only when you get the open ones)

second, i could help in chiptuning some of the in-game songs a bit like in the remastered c64 version if needed, including la dernier rumba that was peculiar to c64 :P
Yeah those ideas are in the plan plus some others, to be clear there’ll be two options... normal and beer edition. Been thinking about a special round if you get a perfect bonus for 5 consecutive rounds. Bonus round would be like timer based and you’d have to collect as many beers as possible in that time.

On the chip music it would be great if u r willing to help, we’d have to discuss technical requirements on the player and timescales but please drop me a pm if you are serious and we can discuss it.
Old 08 January 2018, 13:32   #16
Tolls

I did a double-take at first, looks fantastic.
Old 10 January 2018, 22:17   #17
van_dammesque

With the bombs u get a fizzing bomb to collect 1st for the bonus, how are you going to represent the fizzing beer? Beer cap and foam?

Also make the beers Newcastle brown ale :P :P

Rygar game/remake any more info on that?
Old 11 January 2018, 00:04   #18
mcgeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by van_dammesque View Post
With the bombs u get a fizzing bomb to collect 1st for the bonus, how are you going to represent the fizzing beer? Beer cap and foam?

Also make the beers Newcastle brown ale :P :P

Rygar game/remake any more info on that?
Yep, beer cap not on the bottle and foaming.

Wont do newcastle brown mate, i’m a mackem. Will likely
Be my favourite lager which is peroni.

Rygar game - really dont know, follow the coders thread. That lad sandruzzo decided to continue last i read, i offered though as i love rygar. In all honesty i’m thinking of doing something a bit bolder - like hotline miami on 68k. Not a big technical challenge, but a big gaming chalenge all the same.

Ps4 vs Amiga a500? Yes please
Old 11 January 2018, 00:35   #19
Amiga1992

Hotline Miami-type game, YES PLEASE
Old 11 January 2018, 01:33   #20
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Hotline Miami would work really well on Amiga. Smaller window than Alien Breed for a start.