English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 16 January 2003, 19:45   #1
APFelon
Cable Buyer

Crackheads on eBay

I don't know how some of you people tolerate some of the absurd things that go up on eBay without subjecting the seller to absolute ridicule. Take this for instance:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=3544

This guy has a starting bid for an Amiga CD32 for... 200$!! Buy it now for 250$!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=4598

Final Writer 4 for the low, low price of... 17.95! Buy it now for 22.50!! with an astounding shipping fee of 7.50!

Christ... Does everyone think that their garbage is worth a fortune on eBay?
Old 16 January 2003, 19:55   #2
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

The problem is that people are doing ebay for their means of income now. So the word hyperbole is now household and every thrift store is a depot warehouse. Instead of Goodwill stores providing the poor with affordable items, they are infested by greedy middle class white people out to get rich on ebay selling retro goodies. (sigh)
Old 16 January 2003, 20:06   #3
thinlega
.:Part-Time Winner:.

Re: Crackheads on eBay

Quote:
Originally posted by APFelon
with an astounding shipping fee of 7.50!
one think that I hate is inflated postage I have numerous times paid double the ammout the postage actuallly cost......
Old 16 January 2003, 21:03   #4
jmmijo

Re: Re: Crackheads on eBay

Quote:
Originally posted by thinlega
one think that I hate is inflated postage I have numerous times paid double the ammout the postage actuallly cost......
That's the so-called handling fee
Old 17 January 2003, 00:43   #5
DPainter

On the opposite side of the coin, I recently listed a mint/shrinkwrapped "Commdore 64 Cassette Bonus Pack" on eBay with no minimum price and sold it for US$0.01. Imagine how stupid I felt wrapping that thing up and walking to the post office to ship it.

But then my Masterpieces of Infocom CD (with box) sold for US$72 so you win some, you lose some.
Old 17 January 2003, 00:49   #6
jmmijo

Yes, you're correct there Dpainter, the problem is that everything related to Retro Gaming seems to be RARE or Ultra RARE anymore. this is really rediculous as nothing is considered that rare
Old 17 January 2003, 01:05   #7
DPainter

Quote:
Originally posted by jmmijo
Yes, you're correct there Dpainter, the problem is that everything related to Retro Gaming seems to be RARE or Ultra RARE anymore. this is really rediculous as nothing is considered that rare
I agree with that. Even in the local papers here, people are offering Commodore 64s with no accessories for $100.

Maybe next time when I list an item I will borrow from the infomercial marketing morons and hysterical eBay ring announcers:
Quote:
RARE, HARD-TO-FIND CLASSIC COMMODORE 64 HOME COMPUTER SYSTEM!!!!!!!!!!!! Folks, this is your chance to own a valuable piece of American history. Buy one for your children. I'm setting a reserve of $100 on this, which is far less than its original cost!!!!!!!!
Old 17 January 2003, 05:02   #8
Unknown_K

Send a message via ICQ to Unknown_K
Hey I see people in the paper trying to sell old used PC's worth maybe $100 for $500, they wont sell. Alot of the mint unused inbox A1200's that are listed for $500 buy it now never sell, or sell to 0 feedback people who never pay. The more you see "RARE" in a description the more you should stay away from the auction. And I do see alot of fake/ripoff items there sold as prototypes that somebody ends up paying alot for (fake apple IIgs in apple II boxes etc).

The thing with EBAY is one persons junk is another persons hobby.. if you list junk long enough somebody WILL buy it. You do need to do some research before you bid on the first thing in front of you.

I always check what shipping/handling is before I even read the full details.. I wont bid on anything if they gouge on handling. Back when I was looking for an old 386 retro gaming rig I noticed alot of people selling junk pc's with opening bids for $1 but jacking the handling charges up like crazy, I wonder how many people purchased an item without looking at the hidden charges.

Rare could also mean rare in your area, it takes alot of money/time to run around trying to find a missing game/part for your retro system and ebay fits the bill for this.

Check out the non forsale product specific newsgroups, people sell stuff you need for next to nothing (or just for postage) just because your in the same hobby they are.
Old 17 January 2003, 16:06   #9
jmmijo

Yes but they never seem to have what I'm looking for at the time
Old 17 January 2003, 17:08   #10
Unknown_K

Have you ever posted a wanted list on the newsgroups? Use a special email address because it will be spammed from people mining newsgroups for valid email accounts.

Worked for me a few times, and people dont rip you on postage most of the time. I was getting a few responces a day for a week when I posted about wanting an ISA video card and other stuff. there are always a few jokers who try to sell stuff 2-3x what others sell it for. I ended up getting all of my amiga manuals for cheap from newsgroup people.
Old 18 January 2003, 17:26   #11
P-J

It's a problem. Systems like eBay will never work perfectly as long as there are 'crackheads', as it was so eloquently put, out there.

As far as I'm concerned they're trying to fool an avid collector into thinking an item is worth more than it is.

Just feel warm in the fact that these psychos end up having to foot the insertion and 'buy it now' fees after they don't sell.
Old 19 January 2003, 17:37   #12
oldpx

This idiot is trying to sell an a500 for 100$, have a look! :

This is worse, a2000 keyboards for 75$? And what an aggressive attitude!

Quote:
We have Amiga dealers BEGGING us to sell these NEW keyboards them. These are IMPOSSIBLE to find in NEW condition. Once our warehouse is sold out these are GONE FOREVER! You WON'T be able to obtain these keyboards any more.
This is another, it is claimed to work on a2000,3000 and 4000s, is it possible?:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=4706

Just the keyboards can't worth that much can they? I'd rather get a ps2 adapter!

Old 19 January 2003, 20:03   #13
Unknown_K

The only keyboards that cost $75 that I know of are the Northgate OmniKey series (long out of production) that work on the IBM PC, Amiga's , and other systems. You can remap the keys and rearrange them. I have one on my desk that I use on my PS2 KVM (nice old IBM type feel).

I dont think the $100 500 will sell, but you never know.

Alot of ebay auctions are bid up by fake user accounts, you see stuff sell at crazy prices only to be relisted days later. This way people who dont know better use older auction completed prices and bid accordingly on new auctions making some lucky seller happy. I say know what your buying including model number information, options, conditions, auction fine print before you think about bidding on something. then and only then do you decide the maximum you will pay for the item. Some type of stuff is put up for auction all the time, if you dont get a good deal today check back tomorrow. People who get caught up in the "got to have it now its rare and nobody is going to outbid me" are the ones paying outrageous amounts of money, or just have so much money that it doesnt matter what they pay for an item. A true collector will keep looking and find what he wants in good condition and at a good price.

To sum it up if you dont like the price dont bid on it. When people dont buy items at inflated prices they WILL come down. Alot of the prices paid for actual "rare" computer equipment has dropped quite a bit since the stock market and US economy took a dump in the last year or 2. People who dont have jobs are/will be selling thier equipment to pay the bills and when you see multiple rare items at auction on the same day the price will drop. I am hoping to pick up a A1200 by this method (not that its rare just overpriced).
Old 20 January 2003, 07:57   #14
adolescent