English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 05 October 2020, 18:50   #1
Dradd

BenQ BL702A monitor for A1200?

Hello all,

I'm on the lookout for a suitable monitor for my A1200. After much research and reading, I've seen some folks mention the BenQ BL702A.
Given some of these mentions are about 5 years old, I thought I'd ask now if this was still a suitable option for the Amiga?

I've found it for sale on eBay new, and to my surprise on Amazon. As such I was wondering if this is the same model as mentioned years ago. I can't find a full spec for it, not even on Benq's website, stating the 15Khz required for the Amiga, so I thought I'd ask here.

Does anyone have one/seen one being used on an Amiga at all?

Thanks in advance for your time. :
Cheers
Keith
Old 05 October 2020, 19:13   #2
MrClump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dradd View Post

I have one and use it with my A1200, I bought it new just a few weeks ago. I can confirm it most definately does support 15Khz and works pretty damned well!

Last edited by MrClump; 05 October 2020 at 19:18.
Old 05 October 2020, 19:46   #3
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Yes, very suitable. Another one is BenQ BL912, which is 19" vs 17" of 702A. I have both.
Old 05 October 2020, 21:34   #4
lesta_smsc

I'm tempted by these but wonder how they compare to CRT as the native resolution in effect is the same...
Old 05 October 2020, 21:53   #5
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

They will never match CRT in terms of horizontal scrolling, any LCD won't. Especially typical demo scrolltexts. Also black is not perfect black, more likely very dark grey.

On the other hand - they are cheap, they are very light and universal - you will connect them to any Amiga RGB and they work.

There is one very important condition, though. You must not look at the first impression after auto adjust. It is needed to manually fine tune Pixel Clock and Phase in menu, then the picture is perfect.
Old 05 October 2020, 21:57   #6
lesta_smsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
They will never match CRT in terms of horizontal scrolling, any LCD won't. Especially typical demo scrolltexts. Also black is not perfect black, more likely very dark grey.

On the other hand - they are cheap, they are very light and universal - you will connect them to any Amiga RGB and they work.

There is one very important condition, though. You must not look at the first impression after auto adjust. It is needed to manually fine tune Pixel Clock and Phase in menu, then the picture is perfect.
Ah ok... I have a 28" 4:3 CRT and it is GREAT for emulators at native resolution when outputting 15khz to it from my laptop!

I'm curious to know what the arcade games look like since they are given their appearance due to scanlines which is lacking on LCD.
Old 05 October 2020, 22:05   #7
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

In this case the word GREAT is exactly what you have on your desk
Old 05 October 2020, 22:33   #8
Foebane
Banned

Slightly OT because I'm not using real Amiga hardware, but the GL2250 and GL2760H Benq models are great for my Amiga emulation on WinUAE (and FreeSat HD) because they support 50Hz, which is a requlrement for PAL Amiga emulation.
Old 05 October 2020, 22:36   #9
NovaCoder

Quote:
Hello all,

I'm on the lookout for a suitable monitor for my A1200. After much research and reading, I've seen some folks mention the BenQ BL702A.
Given some of these mentions are about 5 years old, I thought I'd ask now if this was still a suitable option for the Amiga?

I've found it for sale on eBay new, and to my surprise on Amazon. As such I was wondering if this is the same model as mentioned years ago. I can't find a full spec for it, not even on Benq's website, stating the 15Khz required for the Amiga, so I thought I'd ask here.

Cheers
Keith
I used to use one with my A1200, it works but it's not amazing. Indivision AGA was heaps better
Old 05 October 2020, 22:45   #10
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaCoder View Post
I used to use one with my A1200, it works but it's not amazing. Indivision AGA was heaps better
I also use indivision mk1 (with Siemens Fujitsu LCD), the problem is switching to hires. It usually takes about 3 secs when screen is black. And there is a case, when it causes a disaster: Pinball Illusions / Slamtilt MULTIBALL. Otherwise it is fine, except it is NOT universal - scandoubler fits to one of your Amigas, while that BenQ can be connected to any of them.

I have those BenQs as spare displays, the smaller one (702A) I usually bring to parties for anyone who needs it.
Old 05 October 2020, 23:30   #11
MrClump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
Out of interest what settings do you have on your 702? I’ve been messing with mine for a few days and can’t quite lose the vertical banding.
Old 05 October 2020, 23:54   #12
Dradd

Huge thanks for the replies folks. Appreciated.
Old 06 October 2020, 00:51   #13
NovaCoder

[ Show youtube player ]

Blast from the past

I'm now using a 19" Sony Trinitron BTW (with a MiSTer)
Old 06 October 2020, 01:10   #14
lesta_smsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaCoder View Post
[ Show youtube player ]

Blast from the past

I'm now using a 19" Sony Trinitron BTW (with a MiSTer)
Nice! I have a 14" Trinitron. Picture quality is amazing! Though saying that the 28" gives a more arcade feel for other consoles.
Old 06 October 2020, 09:55   #15
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Quote:
Hello all,

Cheers
Keith
It's amazing and works like a charm.
Scrolling is smooth like butter.

Get it.
Old 18 October 2020, 08:29   #16
johnnybarker

Yeah I have the bl702a too and it works well. Much cheaper than a scandoubler. I nly paid £15 for mine. The BenQ 2420HD (Not B or BL models) also works well with native 15khz and is my current monitor of choice, just be aware that it is widescreen though.
Old 18 October 2020, 15:44   #17
lesta_smsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybarker View Post
Yeah I have the bl702a too and it works well. Much cheaper than a scandoubler. I nly paid £15 for mine. The BenQ 2420HD (Not B or BL models) also works well with native 15khz and is my current monitor of choice, just be aware that it is widescreen though.
I'm currently looking at 24" inch widescreen LED that I THINK will support 15kHz! Apparently there is option to change aspect ratio using OSD so maybe you can do that also to correct the 'fill' effect?