English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 02 January 2013, 12:31   #61
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

My tile compressor (a Windows app - sorry non Windows users) is now in the zone. Included are the sample tiles for levels 1, 2 and the fixed level 6, and a bonus level 6 with slime tiles numbered so possible modification of the animation can take place.

Incidentally, you could also edit other pictures from the game and inject those back into the game. Files like the chaos.raw, sunset.raw are also 320 x 200 x 32 colours (with the same static palette) so you could alter those graphics too if you really wanted to.

Last edited by Codetapper; 02 January 2013 at 12:46. Reason: Added note about changing other files
Old 02 January 2013, 13:19   #62
Codetapper

I've also knocked up a quick WHDLoad slave for the game. It's hardly tested and may contain bugs but you can at least load the game a lot easier now!

Grab it from the zone...
Old 02 January 2013, 14:52   #63
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
thanks Ian, and happy new year ! all the very best
Old 02 January 2013, 16:25   #64
viddi

Great! Thanks for your efforts, guys.
Old 02 January 2013, 19:46   #65
mai

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post

Before I work on all the disk images, I need to know that we have a final replacement for that file.
If you create disks with the final replacement, then please use original "CSL" release and i would prefer to add credits at startup.
Old 02 January 2013, 19:58   #66
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mai View Post
If you create disks with the final replacement, then please use original "CSL" release and i would prefer to add credits at startup.
Right you are, mai!
Old 02 January 2013, 20:04   #67
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

It's a horribly bad version of Ninja Gaiden, but a great job in preserving a broken/lost game.
Old 03 January 2013, 00:43   #68
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codetapper View Post
My tile compressor (a Windows app - sorry non Windows users) is now in the zone. Included are the sample tiles for levels 1, 2 and the fixed level 6, and a bonus level 6 with slime tiles numbered so possible modification of the animation can take place.
Got it, thanks! With your tool I've compressed the level 6 tileset with the slime tiles numbered. I'll transfer the new raw file to disk later and, if the numbers aren't too distracting, I'll see if I can determine the actual sequence and, if possible, suggest an alternative, but I'll have to leave it to the experts to implement the changes.

Edit: It's a bit of a mystery that there are 23 tiles in the 'slime set', and this is a prime number. I doubt that the 23 tiles represent a single sequence, so it'll be interesting to see how they're distributed.

Last edited by prowler; 03 January 2013 at 00:54.
Old 03 January 2013, 02:03   #69
Codetapper

It's probably a bit of a hopeless cause to be honest. I put that file onto the game, set the FPS in WinUAE to 1 and observed the numbers and they're an ugly pattern. I originally thought the problem might be to do with the fact the bottom row of graphics in the original file uploaded had stuff in them (just in case the game did anything weird with those "half" row tiles - as the file is 200 pixels tall but the tiles are 192 tall then a half row left over) but nothing.

Anyway it'll be interesting to see what you come up with! I've ripped all the other tiles to IFF if anyone wants them. The tile util also accepts PNG input incidentally, I just used IFF as it was more Amiga-like!
Old 03 January 2013, 02:07   #70
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
I've ripped all the other tiles to IFF if anyone wants them. The tile util also accepts PNG input incidentally, I just used IFF as it was more Amiga-like!
Yes please, if you would upload them. Thanks for the offer! I've not finished trying to master GfxRip yet, and they might just help.
Old 03 January 2013, 02:39   #71
Codetapper

In the zone...
Old 03 January 2013, 03:04   #72
clenched

Hey prowler/Ct - Load up my savestate, go to debugger and change address $186f0 to $60 and see what you think. This animation cycles 3 tiles per block. But there is pause and the counter isn't running smoothly. At any rate, the hiccup is coming from the program because this change bypasses flag that tells the game to accelerate switching blocks. Animation now looks consistent with what I am seeing in DosBox. I wouldn't make the stretch to say anything is fixed but I think this trouble is in the program.

Last edited by clenched; 03 January 2013 at 08:13.
Old 03 January 2013, 07:42   #73
hipoonios
Amiga Hardcore Gamer

Thanks guys!

I can now finally finish my longplay.

I think there is more problems with this game. Sometimes the game asks for wrong disk. Also some of the cut scenes are broken.
Old 03 January 2013, 09:20   #74
Codetapper

Clenched: That fix certainly makes the slime animation work nicely, I wonder if it affects anything else too?

Hipoonios: The WHDLoad version at least should prevent that "wrong disk" problem as it assigns both NG1: and NG2: disks to the same data folder, thus all files will appear to exist on the same drive.
Old 03 January 2013, 09:41   #75
clenched

Quote:
Clenched: That fix certainly makes the slime animation work nicely, I wonder if it affects anything else too?.
I looks confined to the speed of animation. On act 4 there are some flames and a different value in the long word that is tested. It is also jerky with authentic Amiga tiles. When the value remains 0 such as the waterfall animation, it remains smooth. I never noticed trouble skipping forward through the levels but going backward from 7 to 3 caused the game to fall into an endless loop. In the absence of anything better, I'll ask you or prowler to change the exe accordingly because I'm give out.

That packing advice didn't come a moment too soon because of all the gunshots and firecrackers were beginning to get on my nerves.

Last edited by clenched; 03 January 2013 at 09:46.
Old 03 January 2013, 17:38   #76
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
In the zone...
Got it, thanks. I'll report back later.
Old 03 January 2013, 19:21   #77
s2325
Zone Friend

longplay [ Show youtube player ]
Old 03 January 2013, 19:43   #78
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by clenched View Post
Hey prowler/Ct - Load up my savestate, go to debugger and change address $186f0 to $60 and see what you think. This animation cycles 3 tiles per block. But there is pause and the counter isn't running smoothly. At any rate, the hiccup is coming from the program because this change bypasses flag that tells the game to accelerate switching blocks. Animation now looks consistent with what I am seeing in DosBox. I wouldn't make the stretch to say anything is fixed but I think this trouble is in the program.
Quote:
Clenched: That fix certainly makes the slime animation work nicely, I wonder if it affects anything else too?
Quote:
Originally Posted by clenched View Post
I looks confined to the speed of animation. On act 4 there are some flames and a different value in the long word that is tested. It is also jerky with authentic Amiga tiles. When the value remains 0 such as the waterfall animation, it remains smooth. I never noticed trouble skipping forward through the levels but going backward from 7 to 3 caused the game to fall into an endless loop. In the absence of anything better, I'll ask you or prowler to change the exe accordingly because I'm give out.
Could someone let me know at what offset in the executable "change address $186f0 to $60" occurs, please? Then I'll be able to patch it directly in the relevant data block in the disk image.
Old 03 January 2013, 21:07   #79
Codetapper

I don't have time right now to look but you can try the following. Enter WinUAE debugger with Shift F12, type "m 186f0" and note down the sequence of bytes. Probably 4 are enough, possibly 8 should be ample. Then search the executable file for that sequence with a hex editor like Zap and change the bytes.
Old 03 January 2013, 21:12   #80
prowler
Global Moderator

Unfortunately, the WinUAE version I'm using doesn't have the debugger, otherwise I wouldn't be asking. Obviously, in these circumstances, the byte sequence would be just as useful to me. And I'll be patching the disk image directly, not the executable, though I'll use the same method before recalculating the checksum(s).

BTW, would sdi.iff be the one with the wrong palette?

Last edited by prowler; 03 January 2013 at 21:20.