English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 11 November 2017, 13:54   #1
Joel_w

Apollo 1260 SCSI performance

I have an Apollo 1260 (upgraded 1240) overclocked to 66 MHz and I was just wondering if the SCSI upgrade is worth it. I know it doesn't use DMA which is a shame, but that’s life. I would use it with a SCSI2SD adapter or similar device.

I’ve heard that it performs around 4 MB/s but is that true even with an overclocked 060? And does it use less CPU than the internal IDE even if it does not use DMA?

I get a bit less than 2,5 MB/s with the IDE port now with a compact flash card so an increase of around 1,5 MB/s is not worth the cost.

Is there anyone here with an Apollo 1260 and the SCSI module that can run a few benchmarks? I’m guessing that the SCSI module on the Apollo 4040/4060 is more or less the same so those benchmarks could be interesting too.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 11 November 2017, 17:27   #2
Mrz

the apollo scsi sucks and you will have to put an old noisy scsi hardrive to get around 3.5mb/s
stay with the compact flash and forget crazy ideas, the amiga software don't need a fast hardrive, 2.5 mb/s is fast enough for all apps and games
Old 11 November 2017, 18:08   #3
patrik

You could use solid state drives with say an Acard SCSI->IDE bridge and a IDE->SATA or IDE->mSATA(card) adapter or similar.

There is also the CF AztekMonster and SCSI Disk which both take CF card directly. Both of them are based on Acard chips so they will be fast and quite compatible.

And last there is also the SCSI2SD, but that one might be a less good option as the older versions are slow so would not be faster than IDE and the more recent ones seem to have a harder time with compatibility from what I have read.

I find the Apollo SCSI a bit intriguing. I have only heard people saying that it sucks without being specific about in which ways it sucks (apart from not being a DMA controller). I also have never heard of anyone actually using it, which is odd. Also I have never seen any information that would answer other important questions, like if it can be used with large drives in combination with a suitable filesystem.

Last edited by patrik; 11 November 2017 at 18:19.
Old 11 November 2017, 19:42   #4
Joel_w

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrik View Post
I find the Apollo SCSI a bit intriguing. I have only heard people saying that it sucks without being specific about in which ways it sucks (apart from not being a DMA controller). I also have never heard of anyone actually using it, which is odd. Also I have never seen any information that would answer other important questions, like if it can be used with large drives in combination with a suitable filesystem.
Exactly, that’s what I thought when I started to look into it. I know a few SCSI modules for the Apollo has been sold on Amibay so they’re out there but there’s very little information about them. I find it a bit odd since information about the Blizzard SCSI is easy to find. Sure, it was a much better solution but if you owned an Apollo that was not an option.

Maybe it’s because the Blizzard SCSI worked with the 1230 IV and that was a much more common accessory (I owned that combination once, before I could grow a beard).
Old 12 November 2017, 09:55   #5
Chucky

the apollo scsis are rare as they was so crap..
I have one here somewhere, tested it. and. oh damn it is bad..

also. it requires soldering to use..
Old 12 November 2017, 13:53   #6
Joel_w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucky View Post
the apollo scsis are rare as they was so crap..
I have one here somewhere, tested it. and. oh damn it is bad..

also. it requires soldering to use..
Yes but what made it so bad? The speed, compatibility or something else?

I didn't know about the soldering though, that makes it far less interesting I guess.
Old 12 November 2017, 14:46   #7
Chucky

it is CPU polled. so it consumes a lot of CPU.. thats the biggest deal.

and yup!.. look at pictures of the apollo, there are holes under the EPROM.. this is where you solder in the pins for the scsicontroller.. no idea what they was thinking doing that solution..
Old 12 November 2017, 19:07   #8
HelloBeautiful

I have one but haven't tested it
AdSense AdSense