English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 16 July 2018, 03:51   #21
r.cade

Send a message via AIM to r.cade Send a message via MSN to r.cade Send a message via Yahoo to r.cade
There is a replacement RF modulator board that is sold on the German Forum64.de in batches that has the AEC injection as an option. They greatly improve the video output and one version works on the 128...

They are currently filling orders now. They are very reasonably-priced kits at 15 euros...
AdSense AdSense  
Old 17 July 2018, 22:23   #22
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Thanks. The thing is that I don't know what version is mine. I've opened it:

BTW: What's this chip that I'm missing here?

BTW: I've taked the photos after cleaning the thermal compound over the chips. Later I've replaced it with some Artic Five. That's by now as I'm thinking in changing the RF modulator. If/when I change it I will also add dedicated heatsinks as I commented.

Last edited by Retrofan; 18 July 2018 at 03:49.
Old 17 July 2018, 22:28   #23
r.cade

Send a message via AIM to r.cade Send a message via MSN to r.cade Send a message via Yahoo to r.cade
I'm not aware there are multiple versions of the 128 board, but it's not impossible. There is only one modulator replacement kit for all 128's.

You aren't missing a chip, that is for user expansion.
Old 17 July 2018, 23:03   #24
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

What kind of expansion?. Do you recommend any?

Quote:
Originally Posted by r.cade View Post
...There is only one modulator replacement kit for all 128's.
This will make it easier . Is there any video showing the improvement of this kit?. It's very difficult to read the forum using Google translator as I've got to copy every part that I want to translate instead of traducing the full thread.

Last edited by Retrofan; 18 July 2018 at 00:40.
Old 18 July 2018, 09:44   #25
Bobbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofan View Post
What kind of expansion?. Do you recommend any?
Watch out for "C128 U36 socket". There are some tools you can burn into an 27C256 eprom
Here is a link: http://c-128.freeforums.net/thread/2...tion-roms-c128

About the RF modulator replacement I attached the installation manual with pictures. But text is still in German.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Modulatorersatz_Einbauanleitung_250469-R3.pdf (723.3 KB, 8 views)
Old 18 July 2018, 23:43   #26
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Many thanks for the link and your manual. So, about that Rom expansions. What happens for example if I burn a Geos Eprom, will it boot with Geos or what does it add?

Edit: Just reading Wikipedia:

Quote:
...Early versions of the C128 occasionally experience temperature-related reliability issues due to the use of an electromagnetic shield over the main circuit board. The shield was equipped with fingers that contacted the tops of the major chips, ostensibly causing the shield to act as a large heat sink. A combination of poor contact between the shield and the chips, the inherently limited heat conductivity of plastic chip packages, as well as the relatively poor thermal conductivity of the shield itself, resulted in overheating and failure in some cases. The SID sound chip is particularly vulnerable in this respect. The most common remedy is to remove the shield, which Commodore had added late in development in order to comply with FCC radio-frequency regulations.
Ahem... To me it's clear that that metal shielding needs some help like Artic Five plus dedicated heatsinks.

Last edited by Retrofan; 20 July 2018 at 00:57.
AdSense AdSense