English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 09 January 2010, 19:12   #21
Retro1234
Boo

Details are unclear here if you boot from WorkBench/Floppy Disk you can see the drive?
Your using FFS?
Old 09 January 2010, 19:15   #22
Cultgamer

If I boot into WB3.0 using floppy (as thats all I have) there are no Hard Disks on the 'Desktop' (not sure if it's called something else in WB)
Old 09 January 2010, 19:18   #23
Retro1234
Boo

Your not using Add Directory or Archive in WinUae?
Your using Add Hard Drive?
Old 09 January 2010, 19:19   #24
amigakit.com

@jope

Please read my previous posts carefully- there have been different Kingston CF revisions (all with the same flower picture label on the front). Some have worked with the Amiga but the newer batches that have been produced and sent to retail at the moment have incompatibility problems.

We do this job full time so we are aware of the latest issues with CF cards.
Old 09 January 2010, 19:23   #25
Cultgamer

Using Add Hard Drive -disableharddrivesafetycheck etc as I've read across the web. Done basically everything, but when in the A1200, it loads straight to the purple floppy screen without hesitation. Unless I set as slave, so I get a solid HDD light but still essentially nothing. Could it be the IDE cable? I doubt there is much that could be wrong with that though.
Old 09 January 2010, 19:27   #26
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigakit.com View Post
Please read my previous posts carefully- there have been different Kingston CF revisions (all with the same flower picture label on the front). Some have worked with the Amiga but the newer batches that have been produced and sent to retail at the moment have incompatibility problems.
I just wanted to get some clarity in this whole issue. The card in the picture was bought yesterday, but naturally I can't know how long it's been on the shelf. For the record, the package wasn't dusty and I didn't have to dig it out from behind anything. :-)

I guess it'd be helpful to collect serial numbers from these cards, so that people would have some kind of idea if it's even possible to get the particular kingston they have to work.

Perhaps a pattern emerges once we have a few confirmed working and non-working ones.

The one in the picture:

9904246-023.A00LF
4384727-0844021
ASSY IN TAIWAN

(C)2008 kingston technology corp

Last edited by Jope; 09 January 2010 at 19:36.
Old 09 January 2010, 19:30   #27
Retro1234
Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cultgamer View Post
Using Add Hard Drive -disableharddrivesafetycheck etc as I've read across the web. Done basically everything, but when in the A1200, it loads straight to the purple floppy screen without hesitation. Unless I set as slave, so I get a solid HDD light but still essentially nothing. Could it be the IDE cable? I doubt there is much that could be wrong with that though.
Youve done Good Have you got another card you can try? - Like been said Sandisk has best compatibility.
Guys even if this Kingston wont boot would it show up under WorkBench -
Old 09 January 2010, 19:38   #28
Jope
-

No, if scsi.device can't access it while the machine boots, then it won't automatically be visible in wb either.
Old 09 January 2010, 20:06   #29
protek
Amiga hobbyist

My 4 GB Kingston that only boots with ctrl-amiga-amiga:
9904321-006.A00LF
4459982-1246910 X001
Assy in Taiwan
Copyright 2008 Kingston Technology Corp.

I've got a couple of years old 1 GB Kingstons in my A1200 and A600 and both work flawlessly.

Last edited by protek; 09 January 2010 at 20:13.
Old 09 January 2010, 20:08   #30
Cultgamer

Just going to have some chicken pie and will post the details from the card

So frustrating, spent a load on an A1200, accelerator, WHD registration, downloaded all the KGWHD packs and now the effing CF doesn't work. Can't really have fun with it until that point.

I guess I'll have to see if the seller will take it back if all else fails.

Is it normal if a card is incompatible for it to just not show at all to the system? Why would I be getting a solid access light with it set to slave?
Old 09 January 2010, 20:11   #31
Jope
-

Yeah, it's normal behaviour if the card is incompatible in a certain way. If it is a case of removable/fixed, then it might manifest itself so that you can't save the RDB with an unpatched version of hdtoolbox.

The master/slave behaviour varies a bit, some cards don't like to be slave at all, they'll hang the bus like you're experiencing, or they'll just disappear.
Old 10 January 2010, 14:24   #32
Cultgamer

Right, details from my Kingston 4Gb CF as follows;

9904321-006.A00LF (Same as protek's)
4562500-0729880 X001
Assy in Taiwan
Old 12 January 2010, 00:33   #33
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by protek View Post
My 4 GB Kingston that only boots with ctrl-amiga-amiga:
9904321-006.A00LF
4459982-1246910 X001
Assy in Taiwan

I've got a couple of years old 1 GB Kingstons in my A1200 and A600 and both work flawlessly.
You have 1 of the newer batch in question, it doesnt see it on boot, but resetting, it sees it and boots.
Old 12 January 2010, 00:38   #34
Cultgamer

When I reset I just get a solid purple screen, it doesn't do much at all tbh.

I've sent a return request to the seller but haven't heard anything back. Will order a kit from Amigakit but don't get paid til the 25th, so no amiga fun until then
Old 12 January 2010, 09:52   #35
protek
Amiga hobbyist

Do you get that solid purple screen also, when the card has been set master and you reset?
Old 12 January 2010, 11:52   #36
Nikolaj_sofus

Send a message via MSN to Nikolaj_sofus
I got two different 4gb kingston cards (havent checked revision)

Both of them has a flower on it, but one of them is 133x and the other is standard speed.

the 133x works perfectly in my a600, had some problems with it on my a1200, but think that installing it with SFS under would solve the problem, since that worked on my 8gb seagate microdrive.

the standard speed one does work on my a1200, but first get the purple boot screen.
It then load fine after pressing ctrl+A+A
Old 12 January 2010, 12:12   #37
Matt020

I just purchased a Seagate 2.5 gig CF card. Are they known to work or not work with A1200's?

Matt.
Old 12 January 2010, 14:08   #38
Nikolaj_sofus

Send a message via MSN to Nikolaj_sofus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt020 View Post
I just purchased a Seagate 2.5 gig CF card. Are they known to work or not work with A1200's?

Matt.
You mean a microdrive?

Got one of those too... but in my experience so far.... AND I DID FORMAT several cards over the last few months!!! it's a very good idea to use SFS filesystem.

I got a 2.5 Gb seagate microdrive up running fine using that and a CF adaptor.
Old 12 January 2010, 14:24   #39
Matt020

ohcrap. it's not a solid state drive.

im in fear this may go off topic. is there any concern about using a microdrive over a solid state compact flash card?
Old 12 January 2010, 17:19   #40
chaoticjelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cultgamer View Post
I've got a Kingston 4Gb CF card/IDE kit from chaoticjellygames on eBay and managed to get ClassicWB installed on it and booting under WinUAE using a usb card reader.

When I put the CF in the Amiga 1200, it just sits at the purple 'insert floppy' screen, although when first turning on the HDD led flickers so it does recognise that something is present.
I think it is most likely a problem with the preparation and installation of ClassicWB in WinUAE. Did you try the kit with the pre-partitioned, pre-formatted and pre-installed Workbench 3.1 that it was supplied with when you received it?

How about removing the accelerator?

As you've said correctly I've sold plenty of these kits with zero issues. I have been very careful to select a quality, compatible CF card model and brand, I've been using CF cards from the same source for quite some time now.

The main problems I had were with the adapter PCBs because the quality can be very mixed, I've had adapter PCBs with something like an 80% failure rate of course I test them all before they go into my stock and I now have a supplier that produces perfect quality adapter PCBs that work 100% of the time.

The CF cards are cloned bit by bit as obviously that is a quick and reliable method to prepare them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cultgamer
I've sent a return request to the seller but haven't heard anything back. Will order a kit from Amigakit but don't get paid til the 25th, so no amiga fun until then
I received a message from you on Saturday 9th January and Sunday 10th January, I wasn't working over the weekend I was out. On Monday 11th January I was travelling back home, as you can probably appreciate the weather is awful and it took me quite a while. I had to then package up my eBay sales and post them which I just about had time to do.

Today is my girlfriends birthday so I am rather busy but I have taken some time out to write this post.

I'm going to get back in touch with you today and try and work out a solution but I won't be able to look into this much more until some point tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigakit.com
Welcome!

We can confirm from our extensive tests of CF cards with the A1200 that the newer batch of Kingston cards are not A1200 friendly.

We have found that some A1200 accelerators which have their own firmware, introduce a delay which is long enough at boot up for the Kingston cards to be recognised and function correctly.
What extensive tests did you run? which specific batch of Kingston CF cards? Which A1200 accelerators? More info required please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigakit.com
Incidentally, we were talking to an EAB member here who also bought an 8GB CF from the same seller. It was setup without any provision for patching the 4GB wrap around limitation that the standard A1200 has and had inappropriate MaxTransfer values. Within a month of writing to the hard disk, the data was becoming corrupt.

After repartitioning, installing patches and new filesystem for him, the customer told us that next time he will buy from an Amiga dealer and not Ebay.
I can't say that I'm happy about this post at all, I have had no customer come back to me with such a problem, the 8GB kits that I sell are correctly patched for the 4GB limit and the MaxTransfer value is correct.

Out of interest what MaxTransfer value do you recommend and I will check it against mine?

I work very hard to provide great products at affordable prices, I think my feedback on eBay is testament to that. If someone has a problem I will resolve it to the best of my ability, as I will do in this case. I have had no problems reported at all.