Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - General

Old 08 January 2020, 21:51   #121
SquawkBox
Speedbump gimme goosebump

Send a message via ICQ to SquawkBox
Quote:
Originally Posted by malko View Post
Did you gave a try to ReactOS ?
Thanks for asking. No, I didn't, will wait for it to enter beta stage (it's still alpha). Next project will be to install linux on one of my machines, in triple boot, OpenSuse or Manjaro I haven't decided yet but first, well-deserved holidays abroad with the missus . My turn, do you know AspireOS ? I guess not. Well, don't bother, it may be better left in obscurity .

Last edited by SquawkBox; 09 January 2020 at 00:47.
Old 08 January 2020, 22:04   #122
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquawkBox View Post
[...] do you know AspireOS ? I guess not. Well, don't bother, it may be better left in obscurity .
Yes I know it. It's on a partition which is gathering dust as it's on my "no urge, but for test" todo list since ages now ... Only two hands and so little spare time .
PS: Enjoy your holidays !
Old 31 January 2020, 07:51   #123
SquawkBox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
Wine for windows is kind of ironic
Agreed.
Quote:
To run 16-bit driver / libraries reliant games...
Ok, guys, I had to take this experiment a bit further. First, I'd like to quote this page in order to give a better understanding of what it is and what it is not, meanwhile please give it its full name winevdm for 64-bit Windows.
Quote:
A programmer who calls himself otya128 has adapted the Wine ("Wine is Not an Emulator") software into a system called winevdm (also otvdm) so that old Windows programs (including installation programs) can run in 64-bit Windows as if they were ordinary modern Windows programs. With this system installed, you can simply double-click on these old Windows programs and launch them in the same way that you launch modern Windows programs. Under this system, these old programs can open files in the same way that modern Windows applications do, and many (but not all) applications that were designed to send data to a printer can print to any Windows printer.
The page author insists that you should not mix issues with DOS games and issues with old Windows games (winevdm_4_64bit.Windows as I would myself designate it would only help you with the latter), I would insist that you should not consider that it "patches" anything. It might help you with installing / running your old win game (with possible issues, more on that later), but it does so without adding or substracting anything to the game files. Remove it from your system through Choco, and the magic is gone.
My experiment was conducted with the French version of Pilgrim ~ Faith as a Weapon from Infogrames, you know that adventure game loosely based on Paulo Coelho's novel The Pilgrimage. winevdm_4_64bit.Windows would run the game from a (tiny) window, it's playable except all animations (intro & cutscenes) are displayed upside down.
After that, I went on to visit some well-known French abandonware site and downloaded the version of the game advertised as "automatic, preconfigured and preinstalled in an emulator to be run properly on a modern Windows". Sounds promising, right ? What these guys did was join together both ISOs from the game CDs and enclose the game in PCem + Windows 95 and guys, it is infinitely a better solution for that specific game at least, cutscenes play just fine and full screen is available at click range (some minor audio stuttering, nothing to worry about). Only trouble is I have no idea how they achieved to enclose the game within PCem with such maestria, maybe it bears similarities with how DosBox works, through command line customization. I shall further investigate at some point . Anyway, something should be done for English speaking folks to be given the opportunity to play it (simple mechanics, but great game storywise), so maybe those of you who are stuck with 64-bit Windows 7, 8.1 or 10 will come up with something based on my findings.

Last edited by SquawkBox; 06 February 2020 at 20:35.
Old 31 January 2020, 22:18   #124
Unkown
The Old Fart!

Ever since bill backed down and enabled Linux kernel support in windows its been very very stable.

But still full of holes unless you know how to plug up them holes and prevent windows 10 from calling home like ET.

Old 01 February 2020, 19:45   #125
Paul_s
Stuck in the 80s

Anyone else tried the new Edge browser based on Chromium?

https://www.howtogeek.com/509148/mic...now-available/

Much better than the original and I'm warming to it more than Chrome. Performance is slightly quicker too.
Old 01 February 2020, 20:19   #126
jmmijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_s View Post
Anyone else tried the new Edge browser based on Chromium?

https://www.howtogeek.com/509148/mic...now-available/

Much better than the original and I'm warming to it more than Chrome. Performance is slightly quicker too.
Off and on yes but I have extensions for both Chrome and Firefox so not sure I will switch at this point in time.
Old 06 February 2020, 21:04   #127
SquawkBox

You may think I have a fetish with that game, but anyway. Here are some screenshots from how PCem starts the game, how it will run it and how to quit properly. See, quitting within the game will take you the infamous Win95 "it is now safe to shutdown Windows" pre-shutdown state (instead of actually turning off the damn thing ). It can even offer you to launch Scandisk if you repeatedly shake it off by ending it up in task manager or similar . Also worth mentioning, chances are the game was NoCD'd by the folks behind that abandonware site I told you about.
The next oldish game I might consider worth giving a try to is Lords Of the Realm II. But maybe one would be better off getting the Good Old Games version and be done with it ? Well, we'll see.

Last edited by SquawkBox; 06 February 2020 at 21:48.
Old 07 February 2020, 00:44   #128
jmmijo

You know that was coded due to many motherboards NOT properly supporting the soft power off function.

But yes that is interesting to see
Old 07 February 2020, 16:00   #129
Anubis
Na'vi Gamer

Quote:
The next oldish game I might consider worth giving a try to is Lords Of the Realm II. But maybe one would be better off getting the Good Old Games version and be done with it ? Well, we'll see.
If you don't want to bother installin' it, just play it in browser...

https://archive.org/details/msdos_Lo..._Realm_II_1998

ps. there is also option to download good install there...

I love that game, so real - just over-feed peasants and send them in war...
Old 08 February 2020, 08:06   #130
Unkown
The Old Fart!

Why NOT run a VM in win 10 then you can safely run any OS you want with out the need to run games under win 10. its a good solution.
Old 11 February 2020, 17:25   #131
Anubis
Na'vi Gamer

For those who are nostalgic for Win98... take a look here....

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/c...the_nostalgic/

Problem solved, make Win10 look like Win98.
Old 18 February 2020, 03:30   #132
SquawkBox

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmijo View Post
You know that was coded due to many motherboards NOT properly supporting the soft power off function.
Correct, but a very summarized explanation. This subject is discussed here extensively.
Quote:
Before 1995 and the adoption of the ATX standard, the vast majority of desktop PCs had power switches which were directly connected to the power supply, and acted as mechanical switches only, interrupting the electric circuit when opened. It was therefore impossible for software to control the state of the power supply.
when the IBM PC was designed, storage media (including hard drives) had no caches, so when the hardware told the operating system that a write was finished, it really was. Under DOS, the kernel and shell worked together to ensure that when the DOS prompt was displayed, all the buffers were flushed; when software caches appeared, they adhered to this too (at least, the well-behaved ones did). Users were taught to exit programs, wait for the prompt, and wait for drive lights to switch off before powering the system down.
Windows 95 and other multi-tasking operating systems changed the picture: they didn’t “exit to DOS” on shutdown (either because they weren’t supposed to, or because there was no DOS to return to), so users couldn’t wait for a prompt to appear before switching off. In most truly multi-tasking systems there’s never really a quiescent state where the system is safe to power off, in normal operation; so most multi-tasking operating systems have a way for the user to say “I want to power the system down, prepare to do so”, and the operating system then needs to tell the user when it’s safe to power off. This ensures that all applications have finished writing the user’s files to disk, and that the system is in a consistent state (ignoring hard drive caches here...).

Last edited by SquawkBox; 18 February 2020 at 11:44.
Old 19 February 2020, 02:57   #133
SquawkBox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
you don't want to bother installin' it
Quite the contrary, it'll be a good challenge ! That was a tough cookie maaaan, phew! Ok, here are the steps to install both Lords Of the Realm II (LOTR2) and its extension, namely the Siege Pack (L2SG) in Windows 7. I use the Windows version for both games since I am not interested in DOSBox workarounds (GoG...). You will know for sure install went fine if you manage to load either campaign without any CD missing error message.
  1. Grab both ISOs, my copy was released by TeamRPG, CiMS along with the other LOTR games
  2. Grab the unofficial installer from Squirt the Cat :
    https://tinyurl.com/udb99qc
  3. Mount the ISO of LOTR2, install the game with the above installer
    you should use a path which follows a dos-like structure :
    Code:
    <path>\SIERRA\LORDS2
  4. You may choose to perform the requirements test or not, it's of no particular importance if your computer passes it or not
  5. Copy remaining files from
    Code:
    ..\FILES\PL8
    dir on ISO to install dir on HDD
    Code:
    ..\LORDS2\PL8
  6. Use winevdm to install L2SG add-on from within Chocolatey enabled Windows 10, support for winevdm is very limited in Windows 7, so it should be done from within Windows 10 (or from Win8.1 possibly), head to the above mentioned
    Code:
    <path>\SIERRA\LORDS2
    and install / overwrite with files from the add-on ISO
  7. Make sure the corresponding (the game you want to play the campaign of) ISO remains loaded in your virtual drive
  8. Proceed to game update, in other words, install the Siege Pack Patch v2.0.0.3
  9. Once properly installed, Windows 7, Windows Vista, any edition, any platform will run the game, Windows 10 won't run it though. Almost feels like walking on thin ice, right ?... Once more, L2SG add-on will install through some Choco / winevdm rigging (now you realize you should have paid more attention earlier on !), while the game will absolutely not run from within Win10, even with compatibility modes enabled
  10. Run the game (Lords2.exe) in 256 color mode through a shortcut, if you manage to start it up by entering the add-on campaign, congrats, you're all set! Your GPU drivers might not like all that much the on-the-fly switching to 256 color depth, but that's how the game is supposed to be played
  11. To install L2SG, you may boot Windows 10 (in dual boot) then go back to Windows 7 to play the game, another option would be to install the add-on with a Windows 10 system on your local network, installer will "complain" a little just when it's done installing, nothing to worry about. One last recommendation, quit the game properly if you can as alt+tab will most likely cause artifacts
  12. Walkthrough by BSulpher, should you need some pointers :
    https://www.ign.com/faqs/2006/lords-...through-563907
  13. Screenshot corresponds to the second campaign beginning, which is supposed to place in 13th Century Australia (first campaign uses made-up localities)

Last edited by SquawkBox; 19 February 2020 at 16:36.
Old 19 February 2020, 08:44   #134
Hewitson

Victoria (and Australia) didn't even exist in the 13th century. What a stupid game. Honestly, how unbelievably inaccurate it is really pisses me off.
Old 20 February 2020, 03:42   #135
Pyromania

I'm thinking of going back to Windows 1.0 to get more speed and functionality.
Old 20 February 2020, 06:11   #136
jmmijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyromania View Post
I'm thinking of going back to Windows 1.0 to get more speed and functionality.
Very nice, so you have an old 286 to run that on, might need to disable the TURBO function
Old 20 February 2020, 13:15   #137
Anubis
Na'vi Gamer

Try to keep up with future Pyromania!

And for those wondering what is hidden in games folder...

Windows version of the best game...
Old 20 February 2020, 13:21   #138
Anubis
Na'vi Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
Victoria (and Australia) didn't even exist in the 13th century. What a stupid game. Honestly, how unbelievably inaccurate it is really pisses me off.
I am not sure you really mean that... you mean - existed, but was not colonized yet.

Of course, whole world is about 5-6 k years old, according to some well established books...
Old 20 February 2020, 15:54   #139
dreadnought

I don't get people harping on about Win 10 being so bad performance and stability wise. I think it's actually the best Windows yet considering this angle. So the complaining is probably a traditional thing, going back to good ol' days of Win 95 blue screen hate, IE, M$, etc, etc.

It is a complete disaster when it comes to privacy though. If I didn't have to use it for work I'd probably switch to Linux. Their catastrophic updates are also a curse, which is why I only update on reinstalls.
Old 20 February 2020, 16:02   #140
Anubis
Na'vi Gamer

I see what you did there...

Ask question with answer that you then demonstrated in next sentence...

Cool