English Amiga Board


Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 06 February 2020, 06:34   #41
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: los angeles,ca
Posts: 1,302
That would however be the fastest and cheapest way to do it, and i did check almost frame by frame the video if was doing any perspective change: keeping an eye to the central set of tiles their perspective does not bend lightly to left or right as expected; instead only the center of the tunnel moves. The trick is not too visible due to fade out
saimon69 is offline  
Old 06 February 2020, 08:41   #42
britelite
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Espoo / Finland
Posts: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by saimon69 View Post
That would however be the fastest and cheapest way to do it, and i did check almost frame by frame the video if was doing any perspective change: keeping an eye to the central set of tiles their perspective does not bend lightly to left or right as expected; instead only the center of the tunnel moves. The trick is not too visible due to fade out
You're absolutely correct, the perspective doesn't change (at least not in the video).
britelite is offline  
Old 06 February 2020, 09:22   #43
Steril707
Tigerskunk!

Steril707's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Amiga Island
Posts: 1,359
So if the perspective doesn't change in this video, I really need to get my eyes or brain checked..

[ Show youtube player ]

What a great effect, anyway..
Steril707 is offline  
Old 06 February 2020, 09:28   #44
britelite
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Espoo / Finland
Posts: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steril707 View Post
So if the perspective doesn't change in this video, I really need to get my eyes or brain checked..
Time to get your eyes checked

Of course it's easier to spot when having coded n+1 tunnel effects in the past.

Quote:
What a great effect, anyway..
That we can agree on
britelite is offline  
Old 06 February 2020, 09:34   #45
Steril707
Tigerskunk!

Steril707's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Amiga Island
Posts: 1,359
Wow, the mind can really play tricks on one...
Steril707 is offline  
Old 06 February 2020, 10:39   #46
Cyprian
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Warsaw/Poland
Posts: 50
anyway, that's just well done
would be cool to have a port for /|\ TT/Falcon
Cyprian is offline  
Old 06 February 2020, 10:41   #47
Solo Kazuki
Registered User
Solo Kazuki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Poland
Posts: 745
Everyone who are "so sure" i recommend translate this answer.
Solo Kazuki is offline  
Old 06 February 2020, 11:00   #48
Cyprian
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Warsaw/Poland
Posts: 50
@Solo Kazuki, I saw that before.
That statament doesn't exclude technics mentioned in this thread

---EDIT---
this one is more interesting:
https://www.ppa.pl/forum/strefa-gier...omp/10#m673003
Cyprian is offline  
Old 06 February 2020, 11:18   #49
Solo Kazuki
Registered User
Solo Kazuki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Poland
Posts: 745
I've mentioned this before and it automatically exclude most of mentioned later ideas...
Solo Kazuki is offline  
Old 06 February 2020, 11:21   #50
britelite
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Espoo / Finland
Posts: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo Kazuki View Post
I've mentioned this before and it automatically exclude most of mentioned later ideas...
He's lying if he claims NOTHING is prerendered. But I'm assuming that's not what he actually said.
britelite is offline  
Old 06 February 2020, 11:21   #51
Cyprian
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Warsaw/Poland
Posts: 50
@Solo, for me Kefir's statement sounds as a pure sarcasm
Cyprian is offline  
Old 06 February 2020, 11:26   #52
Solo Kazuki
Registered User
Solo Kazuki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Poland
Posts: 745
For me sarcasm is just with emulation of cores, that's why he use later (mentioned in comment #47) "draw" word about tunnel.
Solo Kazuki is offline  
Old 06 February 2020, 11:30   #53
britelite
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Espoo / Finland
Posts: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo Kazuki View Post
For me sarcasm is just with emulation of cores, that's why he use later (mentioned in comment #47) "draw" word about tunnel.
He's still drawing the tunnel, even if it is on top of a prerendered animation.
britelite is offline  
Old 06 February 2020, 11:43   #54
ross
Per aspera ad astra

ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Crossing the Rubicon
Age: 49
Posts: 2,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by britelite View Post
He's still drawing the tunnel, even if it is on top of a prerendered animation.
This.


@Solo Kazuki:
You are probably misunderstanding our comments and you are definitely not advertising Kefir and his game well.
I don't think I've read anywhere that the game teaser is not a joy for the eyes or that Kefir's work is not exceptional in this.

Only assumptions have been made about how it can be accomplished. Nothing less and nothing more, I don't see anything bad or personal in this.
Which is only a favor to Kefir, because just talking about it increases its visibility.
If I'm not wrong this is the Coders section.

I seem to understand that Kefir himself has every intention of explaining in detail in the future how the engine works (so removing from the carpet what is obviously not possible achieving on the Amiga with those technical specifications).

Let's analyze Kefir's sentence (from google translate, so I hope it is more or less exact):

"The way I draw the tunnel has not been used so far by anyone"
which is likely to be

"so I can immodestly say that I came up with something new on the Amiga."
which is a bit pompous but is absolutely likely to be

"The effect is great"
very true and nobody doubted it

"so for another programmer it's a challenge to guess how it's done."
and is what coders are talking about here

I do not see written anywhere that the various assumptions made are wrong, maybe only some are right, others go close, others are out of the way.
And nowhere do I read that the game is full real time.

There will certainly be parts in real time (it's not an animation, the game must work and all the various effects on the blocks must necessarily be in real time ).

But there are many points in the video, coders who had done that kind of effects know it, that make it clear that much gfx is pre-rendered and some compromises accepted.

Cheers.
ross is online now  
Old 06 February 2020, 12:07   #55
Cyprian
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Warsaw/Poland
Posts: 50
sounds reasonable
Cyprian is offline  
Old 06 February 2020, 12:08   #56
Solo Kazuki
Registered User
Solo Kazuki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Poland
Posts: 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by ross View Post
You are probably misunderstanding our comments and you are definitely not advertising Kefir and his game well.
I don't think I've read anywhere that the game teaser is not a joy for the eyes or that Kefir's work is not exceptional in this.
I'm beginning to think that's I'm the one who is misunderstood. Excuse me, please show me where i accuse someone for blaming anything? It never happened!

I'm just talking from beginning that pre-rendering stuff was told on PPA before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ross View Post
"so for another programmer it's a challenge to guess how it's done."
and is what coders are talking about here
And that's what i mean from beginning. Some people are sure that they know how it works. And i try to ask "then why something not fit", e.g. many optional turns of tunnel. How many combination should be prerendered? Just one makes two optional prerenders, and if there are more than three (visible on linked video) at once?
Solo Kazuki is offline  
Old 06 February 2020, 12:13   #57
britelite
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Espoo / Finland
Posts: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo Kazuki View Post
And that's what i mean from beginning. Some people are sure that they know how it works. And i try to ask "then why something not fit", e.g. many optional turns of tunnel. How many combination should be prerendered? Just one makes two optional prerenders, and if there are more than three (visible on linked video) at once?
If you're speaking of the rotations, then you'd only need two additional sequences (one for rotating clockwise and another counterclockwise)
britelite is offline  
Old 06 February 2020, 12:21   #58
Solo Kazuki
Registered User
Solo Kazuki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Poland
Posts: 745
And this is just one rotation... but again, what if it's three of them? You have in this case six (!) prerendered sequences. And what about more? In this way you meet out of memory sooner or later, isn't?
Solo Kazuki is offline  
Old 06 February 2020, 12:27   #59
aros-sg
Registered User

 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Italy
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steril707 View Post
So if the perspective doesn't change in this video, I really need to get my eyes or brain checked..
You can check with paint program like GIMP. Pause video in two places were you think perspective is different. Make screenshot each time. Put screenshots in two layers in paint program and make top one 50 % transparent. Move top layer around until center of tunnels match up.
aros-sg is offline  
Old 06 February 2020, 12:27   #60
britelite
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Espoo / Finland
Posts: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo Kazuki View Post
And this is just one rotation... but again, what if it's three of them? You have in this case six (!) prerendered sequences. And what about more? In this way you meet out of memory sooner or later, isn't?
You of course use the same sequence for every single rotation (it rotates the width of one block) and just adjust the overlaying LUT-tunnel to match.
britelite is offline  
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yoomp! game on OCS Amigas. Toni Galvez Coders. Asm / Hardware 42 20 February 2020 15:53
New game made with Backbone "Jump Block Jump!" amiman99 News 13 01 October 2015 09:58
"Jump Block Jump!" game, preview edition (made with Backbone) amiman99 Amiga scene 19 08 December 2014 23:20
Yoomp! new incredible game for Atari XE/XL s2325 Retrogaming General Discussion 17 02 November 2007 18:08

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:44.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Page generated in 0.10879 seconds with 15 queries