English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene > Member Introductions

Old 27 January 2020, 19:01   #1
Flimbo

Hello from Newcastle UK

Hello everybody on the Amiga Board so happy to finally be returning to the Amiga scene! Yesterday, I finally bought an Amiga 1200 and fulfilled a 27 year dream. I had an Amiga 600 as a kid but always wanted this machine. I think it needs some upgrades but otherwise very happy.

Although I love gaming in general on consoles, PC or emulators, my favourite gaming experiences were on the Amiga. My favourite games were: Wings, SWOS, Chaos Engine, Moonstone, Settlers, Syndicate, Speedball, Cannon Fodder, Dyna Blaster, Alien Breed and Flimbo's Quest. Looking forward to broadening my horizons.

Happy to field any questions.
Old 27 January 2020, 19:42   #2
lambrettadave

Hi Peter, glad you have made the decision to join a massive Amiga community.

There's loads of info on here, it helped me.....
Old 27 January 2020, 19:44   #3
Flimbo

Thanks, Dave. Been a long time since I posted on a forum too as it happens. This is so much better than social media.
Old 27 January 2020, 19:59   #4
Viceroy

Greetings from Sunderland ;-)
Old 27 January 2020, 20:29   #5
Flimbo

Thanks Viceroy
Old 28 January 2020, 09:36   #6
str0m

Hi from Newcastle as well I never had a 600. Started with a 500 then a 1200 then a 3000 all of which I sold and regret, just have a CD32 at the moment which is off being fixed zzzz....

If you're into all sorts of retro gaming then join this FB group, they are opening a small arcade and have their larger one down the city in a couple of months at the Boiler Shop https://www.facebook.com/groups/1864730963782461/ then of course you have the similarly named NERG event at the Gateshead stadium in July, they normally have an Amiga and/or CD32 setup
Old 28 January 2020, 12:52   #7
Flimbo

Hey str0m, I was only ever into Amiga for the gaming and so hope an eventually improved 1200 will fulfil that for me. I aint going to lie, I always wanted a CD32 but the reviews were never great. How do you rate the machine?

I will join that group and look forward to visiting the arcade. Thanks for the heads up and the greeting.
Old 28 January 2020, 13:26   #8
str0m

Well it doesn't work so..... lol!

There are a number of cheap 030 accelerators and soon a 060 for it but likewise you can also get a cheap 020/030 one for the 1200. Best setup on either is a compact flash with all the games and whdload so they all run direct off it like a hard drive, most games are patched like that these days making the CD drive of the CD32 kinda irrelevant.

Luckily I have loads of other consoles to play on whilst waiting for it to be fixed although I do miss the Chaos Engine, just not the same on Megadrive
Old 28 January 2020, 13:33   #9
Flimbo

You are talking to a big fan of the Chaos Engine, one of the main reasons I bought this machine. It has a Gotek drive, but so far I aint a huge fan (also I seem to have already messed up it is config ha ha) and want to get a hard drive and whdload but I see the accelerator will be the main stumbling block. Which one versus and at what price - seems like the price of these have sky rocketed. Emulation was easier...

What consoles do you mostly play on?
Old 28 January 2020, 16:11   #10
str0m

Think these are some of the popular "reasonably" priced ones, probably find them in the UK as well but I'm not an expert. They give a speed bump and also the ram so you can run whdload https://icomp.de/shop-icomp/en/shop/...aca1221lc.html https://icomp.de/shop-icomp/en/shop/...t/aca1211.html

Saturn is my favorite despite it's various shortcomings then probably Dreamcast next. I have 17 different ones permanently connected up...I could list them all if interested lol. Oh and a Pi setup for arcade stuff
Old 28 January 2020, 18:19   #11
Flimbo

Never owned a Saturn and don't hear folk talking about them so may have to check it out. My one attempt to emulate it killed my emulator set up awhile ago so may have to look at the hardware.

Dreamcast is one of my favourite machines of all time. Getting one in a couple of weeks when I visit my pal in Sheffield. Thanks for the links.
Old 29 January 2020, 09:18   #12
str0m

I think they can be emulated well these days but I don't have a PC. It struggled against the PS1 but has some amazing fighting games and the Japanese library, shooters in particular was vast. With a cheap ram cart they can play backups. DC even easier as you can replace the CD drive with board for about £40 off ebay and chuck all the games on an SD card.
Old 29 January 2020, 10:05   #13
Flimbo

Oooh I think I will look into getting a Saturn now. I might have to mod the DC, though I was hoping to build up a library of DC games.

Just bought a new (old) accelerator card for this amiga so might not be buying anything anytime soon ha ha. I bought an Apollo Turbo 1230lc on ebay and once it has arrives next week I need to sort out whdload. Might need a new cf card but too. Expensive hobby this but I have been waiting 27 years for it to happen.
Old 29 January 2020, 14:21   #14
lambrettadave

When you get your accelerator card I will come and have a look at the whole lot if you want
Old 29 January 2020, 16:03   #15
mcgeezer

Washington here,
Welcome to the show.
Old 29 January 2020, 16:16   #16
Flimbo

I grew up in Washy and have family there still. Thanks for the welcome, mcgeezer.
Old 29 January 2020, 20:33   #17
fxgogo

Welcome Flimbo. I must say, the one thing about the Amiga that I enjoy is that this old computer still feels like it contributes in a real way, that say 8bit micros can't. I could still get a large part of my digital life done on an Amiga.
Old 29 January 2020, 20:55   #18
Cherno

My local pub has Newcastle Brown Ale on tab and I'm fond of drinking a pint whenever I'm there Welcome!
Old 29 January 2020, 22:45   #19
Flimbo

Thank you for the welcome fxgogo, my love for this machine has not dwindled in 27 years.

Thank you Cherno, I also enjoy drinking brown ale. My love of that beer has not dwindled in 27 years.... ha ha
Old 29 January 2020, 23:16   #20
mcgeezer

Can't remember last time I drank the Nukey Brown.
Peroni and Moretti are my choice lately (for the last 27 years).