Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 04 February 2019, 17:36   #101
Steril707
Tigerskunk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thellier View Post
Any good arcade game BUT with a whole new graphics set in HAM will be avesome
For example X-Men vs. Street Fighter
Have you had some insight on how HAM works?
Old 04 February 2019, 17:58   #102
Solo Kazuki

There is (very poor) beat'em up in HAM8. It's Olo Fight. So it's possible.

[ Show youtube player ]

But something like patched/fixed/updated Super Street Fighter II Turbo is better idea.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 04 February 2019, 19:32   #103
Master484

Splatterhouse could be a good candidate for an Amiga conversion:

[ Show youtube player ]

Game scrolls to only 1 direction and object amounts on screen seem quite "blitter friendly".

Also the backgrounds are almost like designed for the copper; in every level one can easily see the Y-lines where some cool palette swaps could be made.

If colors are chosen well then 16 colors + copper + sprites might be enough. But 32 colors could be possible too.

And if converted to the AGA, then everthing could be super enhanced: more colors, more blood, etc.

---

But if that is too scary, then maybe Up'n Down ?

[ Show youtube player ]

C64 has an excellent conversion of this, so surely Amiga should be capable of a good port too.
Old 04 February 2019, 19:46   #104
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Yep, Splatterhouse would be great. I love the Arcade/FM-Towns port and PC-Engine versions.
Old 04 February 2019, 23:11   #105
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
Yep, Splatterhouse would be great. I love the Arcade/FM-Towns port and PC-Engine versions.
this game is too big. the sprites are in a not amiga compatible tile format (like dragon spirit).

The levels use multiple tilemaps mixed in 8x8 characters. a nightmare.

And the arcade code is M6809.

the ideal conversion is either a good game not too complicated, or/with the main program in 68000.

the best and easier thing would be to have a tool running on PC, which would read the arcade code tiles or sprites metadatas, and the graphic assets, and from here, allowing to get directly by pointing at the right place the sprites or tilemaps, ready to export in Amiga format.
Old 05 February 2019, 02:06   #106
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Done in the oldschool way, Splatterhouse would be a good candidate, I agree. You won't be ripping the graphics from the arcade, but probably redoing them. But the way the game works, it's a good candidate to have a very playable and good looking version on amiga.

Quote:
You can add 16 additional colours for the player sprite (and only that one) if it will never be more wide than 64 pixels.
No you can't. You need the main player to be drawn behind and in front of enemies at the same time. You can't draw a sprite behind and in front of the bitmap at the same time. It's either one or another

Quote:
I think if Final Fight had some gameplay tweaks here and there, it would be absolutely best beat em up for Amiga. Now it's one of the worst.
Also, for example, Captain Commando, if I remember correctly, didn't had large sprites (smaller then FF), and if you remove parallax, carefully pick colors, and watch on the gameplay, a very nice port could be done for OCS.
That's really the point IMO. My problem with Final Fight on Amiga was never the graphics, but the gameplay. If the game played more like the arcade (with proper combos, all attack moves, etc - even if sprites had to be smaller for fit all this on memory) it would be great.

I mentioned Captain Commando, King of Dragons and Knight of the Rounds exactly because the sprites on those games are smaller than in games like Final Fight or Cadillacs & Dinosaurs. I know some of the bosses are big , but you could make compromises. Of course it would be a huge task, not one anyone would make for free today, but back at the time I am pretty sure that teams like Random Access, Ocean France or Graftgold could do it properly.
Old 05 February 2019, 10:07   #107
thellier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steril707 View Post
Have you had some insight on how HAM works?
Yes. From my first Amiga in 1986 when I coded in ASM
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=70527

And I think that with sufficient horsepower and RAM (to have original 12 bits pictures or the correction maps) it will be possible
Old 05 February 2019, 20:25   #108
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Quote:
(I never understood the 8 sprite limit of OCS/ECS and especially in AGA which let you have huge sprites but you couldn't split them up. Even in 1985 8 sprites was a pretty anemic number.)
8 Sprites wasn't that bad since you could reuse them on different scanlines using the copper.

The way the pallete colors were spread between them was really silly. Both the Master System and MSX2 also released on 1985 could only have 8 sprites per scanline... but both had a separate 16 colors palette just for the sprites. This would be much better.

Though I believe using the copper to reuse sprites eats DMA, and those 8 bits system could do this without any big caveat (except the max limit of 32 sprites on screen for the MSX2 and 64 for the Master System)
Old 07 February 2019, 00:29   #109
Nightshft

Project Firestart would be awesome, but it's a big project.

Much earlier released (1984) was Chuckie Egg.
It has lots of Ports, but (edit: from the machines I know) it's only fun on the ZXSpectrum (due to gamespeed and more). An Amiga conversion exists but looks like a completely different game. Because of Spectrums Hardware Limitations it's so ugly compared to what the Amiga could do - it's just crying for a conversation.

And as I think about it - why is there no Wizard of Wor on the Amiga? It's a fun 2 player game and shouldn't be too hard to do.

Same applies to H.E.R.O. (ok, it's a fun 1 player game )

Last edited by Nightshft; 07 February 2019 at 14:37.
Old 07 February 2019, 00:41   #110
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightshft View Post
Project Firestart would be awesome, but it's a big project.

Much earlier released (1984) was Chuckie Egg.
It has lots of Ports, but is only fun on the ZXSpectrum (due to gamespeed and more). An Amiga conversion exists but looks like a completely different game. Because of Spectrums Hardware Limitations it's so ugly compared to what the Amiga could do - it's just crying for a conversation.

And as I think about it - why is there no Wizard of Wor on the Amiga? It's a fun 2 player game and shouldn't be too hard to do.

Same applies to H.E.R.O. (ok, it's a fun 1 player game )
Dude, Chuckie Egg on the BBC was pretty good.
Old 07 February 2019, 01:12   #111
Nightshft

Sure! I only compared the machines I know well or own (ZXSpectrum, C64, Amiga). Sorry, my mistake.
Old 07 February 2019, 04:23   #112
Gunbot

NeoGeo scrollers would be nice.

Sengoku
Metal Slug
Shock Troopers
Old 07 February 2019, 09:33   #113
mcgeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunbot View Post

Sengoku
Metal Slug
Shock Troopers
Nothing too difficult then.
Old 07 February 2019, 10:58   #114
Hewitson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunbot View Post

Sengoku
Metal Slug
Shock Troopers
There is absolutely ZERO chance that even a 68060 could run an acceptable conversion of these games. A silly suggestion.

I would LOVE to see Wizard of Wor and H.E.R.O. on the Amiga. But even if they were, I doubt they'd be better then the C64 versions. They're absolute perfection.
Old 07 February 2019, 11:39   #115
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
There is absolutely ZERO chance that even a 68060 could run an acceptable conversion of these games. A silly suggestion.

You're saying the Amiga is less powerful than a Game Boy Color?

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 07 February 2019, 11:48   #116
Hewitson

No, I'm saying that the GBC port of that game is in no way an acceptable conversion. Impressive considering the hardware, but basically a piece of shit compared to the original Neo Geo game.
Old 07 February 2019, 12:26   #117
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

If this GBC port of that game was released back at the day for Amiga it would probably get very good reviews and there wouldn't be many games to compete with it.

It's about the gameplay, not graphics. I guess.
Old 07 February 2019, 13:24   #118
Retro1234
Boo

Metal Slug on Atari Falcon
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 07 February 2019, 14:15   #119
buzzybee

Suppose it´s a great achievement to get such an emulation up and running on a Falcon; even with a framerate which makes the whole thing totally pointless.

An AGA-Version of Metal Slug would not look as good as the original, but could keep the charme, spirit and playability alive. TONS of work though. This is one of the NeoGeo-titles which is just bursting of little but important details.

Having said that, my RESHOOT R-engine perfectly suits this kind of game. If someone pays for my living, I´d convert it. :-)
Old 08 February 2019, 10:59   #120
sokolovic

Well that's a good suggestion, considering how the Reshoot-R engine seems impressive. Really looking forward to buy this game in order to encourage the impressive effort puts into its production. And I also really do hope that it will be used again to make some other games. I'd love to see a Metroidvania game on the Amiga for example.

About Metal Slug, there is also the Neo Geo Pocket versions that could be interesting to port (not straight arcade port thought), and much more doable than the MVS ones, maybe with better GFX even on ECS.

(and by the way that's a bit strange to read that "There is absolutely ZERO chance that even a 68060 could run an acceptable conversion of these games." considering they are actually running on a 68000 console.