English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 17 April 2003, 19:30   #1
Melvein

Change floppies

I have a problem. When I play games with many floppies (like "Kings Quest 6" or "Beneath a Steel Sky") the disk swapping does not always work.

Usually i start the game with one disk in each of the four disk drivers. To begin with all works fine. But after a while, when I am asked to insert, for instance, disk 7, something goes wrong. I replace one of the disks with disk 7, but the emulator doesn´t load the new disk.

I don´t know what to do, so I would be grateful if someone could help me.
Old 17 April 2003, 21:26   #2
mtb

Re: Change floppies

Quite impossible....

Maybe the disk is not working, but please add some more info about the actions you perform to change the disk.

[ e.g. f12 - floppy tab - ... - i select the disk # 7 - i press ok - i return to the amiga output screen - maybe i have to press the mouse or joy button ]

Quote:
Originally posted by Melvein
I have a problem. When I play games with many floppies (like "Kings Quest 6" or "Beneath a Steel Sky") the disk swapping does not always work.

Usually i start the game with one disk in each of the four disk drivers. To begin with all works fine. But after a while, when I am asked to insert, for instance, disk 7, something goes wrong. I replace one of the disks with disk 7, but the emulator doesn´t load the new disk.

I don´t know what to do, so I would be grateful if someone could help me.
Old 18 April 2003, 10:05   #3
thomas

Some games do not support multiple disk drives. Try to insert the new disk into DF0.
Old 18 April 2003, 17:02   #4
Melvein

Okey, I´ll try to explain my problem better. First of all I use WinUAE 0.8.22 release 1. This problems occurs in most games that uses more than four disks.

This is what happens when I play ”Beneath a steel sky”:

I come to a room and the message ”Please insert disk 3” shows up. Then I press F12 and click on ”Floppies”. When I start the game I use all four diskdrives, so I have Disk 1 in DF0, Disk 2 in DF1, Disk 3 in DF2 and Disk 4 in DF3.

When I have clicked on ”Floppies” I click on the ”…” button for DF0 and replace Disk 1 with Disk 3.

After this I click on ”OK” and return to the game. But nothing happens. When I use the option ”Show LEDs” I see that the game is not loading, since none of the lights is flashing. The light for DFO flashes immediately when I have changed disk, but only for a second. After that, nothing happens.

I´m not sure anything is wrong with the disks. For instance, I have downloaded ”Kings Quest 6” from two different sites with the same result.
Old 18 April 2003, 17:34   #5
derSammler

Press F12 and eject a disk, then go back to the emulation. Wait some seconds, press F12 again and insert the requested disk into the empty disk drive. This should solve your problem.