English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.WHDLoad

Old 16 May 2008, 14:38   #1
Groundhog

Forced keymap

Is there a way to force a keymap when the patch author configured another one and didn't allow you to modify it via tooltypes ?

For example, the text adventure "Demoniak" was patched in qwerty. While this is logical since the text is in english, foreign users are more comfortable using their native keymap.

WinUAE users could of course remap the keyboard, but I was just wondering if it was possible to do that on real hardware.

Also, the patch for "Demoniak" uses KickEmu. Just an idea but, would it be possible, for example, to use a hacked KickEmu file ? (Well, I don't know if all the resources are contained in the file, but if that's the case...)
Old 17 May 2008, 12:48   #2
Wepl

usually its up to the slave author to setup the right keymap.
the only exception would be if the install runs via an startup-sequence, then you could try to add a setmap/setkeyboard command to it together with adding the required files for that

in general it depends on how the game is designed. if it uses the os for keyboard access it should be possible to adapt the install without much effort for the slave author.

its not possible to hack the kickstart file, because whdload checksums it and refuse on modified ones
Old 17 May 2008, 17:53   #3
Groundhog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wepl View Post
in general it depends on how the game is designed. if it uses the os for keyboard access it should be possible to adapt the install without much effort for the slave author.
I guess that's why I get no result even when I replace the keymaps in the keymap drawer of the WHDLoad installation of "Demoniak" with my own renamed files. The OS isn't used for keyboard access. The files are present in this installation though. That's odd.

Would it be feasible to add a "layer" over the keymap, in a way that would be backward compatible with older patches ? When you think about it, a lot of games are using the keyboard. I mean, not only text adventures, but simply games which are waiting for a key like CTRL-Q to quit, etc. I know that you don't have to be a genius to understand that you have to hit CTRL-A (or even that you could use the QUITKEY), but you see my point.

Anyway, thanks for the clarifications.

EDIT: Of course, I meant when the key reading is made the "soft way".

Last edited by Groundhog; 17 May 2008 at 20:01.