English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 14 October 2016, 16:54   #21
ajk

Postage is €1.30 for a priority letter, but you decide of course
Old 14 October 2016, 20:25   #22
idrougge

If he doesn't want it, send it my way. I also have such an adapter.
Old 14 October 2016, 20:26   #23
edd_jedi

Sure go ahead, I have bought one on eBay
Old 14 October 2016, 20:35   #24
edd_jedi

Of course nothing with retro computing is simple, I can't find a single 1 device SCSI cable on eBay! Will this 2 device one work with one of the connectors left empty?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/351648673706
Old 14 October 2016, 20:46   #25
ajk

The related items in that ad include this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291084083859

But you can also just get the longer one and cut the extra bits off to keep it nice and tidy.

@idrougge

Sure, just send me your details over PM. I actually found a couple of these, I guess they came in a pack of 5 or something originally.
Old 14 October 2016, 20:50   #26
edd_jedi

Unfortunately buying from outside the UK isn't cost effective, shipping is more than the cable. Is it safe to just cut the extra length and connector off?
Old 14 October 2016, 20:58   #27
ajk

It is, these are very simple cables. A box cutter right down the side of the connector where the cable exits does a tidy job and doesn't leave anything hanging out.

The result is no different than having a shorter length of cable to start with and then crimping the connectors on to the ends.
Old 14 October 2016, 21:06   #28
idrougge

Just make sure you don't cut off any terminator in case your cable has one.
Old 14 October 2016, 21:35   #29
fgh

You need a two device cable, one for the ide bridge and one for the terminator.
Usually one is enough, because the devices or bridges have built in termination.
Yours does not.

Last edited by fgh; 14 October 2016 at 22:11. Reason: Trimmed text
Old 14 October 2016, 22:25   #30
cmsj

Quote:
Originally Posted by edd_jedi View Post
Yes that looks like the right one, I appreciate the offer but just noticed you're in Finland and I can buy one from eBay for £4.99 posted which will probably cost less than the postage. Thanks for your help though.
btw, just noticed you're in London. Whereabouts are you? I don't know many Amiga people in this part of the city (Surbiton)
Old 15 October 2016, 11:47   #31
edd_jedi

OK thanks, I have ordered the two device cable so will work it out when it arrives. I have a terminator in case I need one. By the way does anybody know of a link to the Cyber-SCSI MKII manual? I can only find the MKI manual online. There are quite a few jumpers on the board so would like to know what they do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmsj View Post
btw, just noticed you're in London. Whereabouts are you? I don't know many Amiga people in this part of the city (Surbiton)
I just work in London, I live in Brighton
Old 15 October 2016, 12:38   #32
fgh

http://phase5.a1k.org/index.php?manuals
Old 15 October 2016, 15:01   #33
edd_jedi

Brilliant, thanks!
Old 20 October 2016, 03:30   #34
SnkBitten
Amithlon Fanatic

How did it work out? I just did similar though on a WarpEngine SCSI controller. I have a 256 GB SATA SSD drive running with an ide adapter, but purchased a 128 GB IDE SSD drive to replace it as I could only access 128 GB of it because of idefix97's SCSI driver....and using a 4-way IDE device in my A4000T. The 128 GB IDE SSD was unreadable on the Amiga, making it fail to boot if connected to the IDE controller. An AEC-7720UW popped up so grabbed it. Plugged the 128 IDE drive in with the Acard on the WarpEngine's SCSI controller and powered it on. Drive was there and ready to go (I had set it up previously under WinUAE). Reformatted/partitioned it and now copying the data off the SATA SSD to the "SCSI" SSD. Luckily I had a few SCSI cables around as well as a 68pin>50pin adapter.

So 44pin IDE SSD with a 44>40 pin IDE adapter to the Acard with a 68>50 pin SCSI adapter to the WarpEngine.

I'll pull the SATA SSD which brings me down to two IDE devices (boot CF card and DVD-RW) so I can remove the 4-way adapter and ditch idefix97.

Plus, it's faster being on the SCSI interface.
Old 20 October 2016, 09:17   #35
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
You might run into some issues as the adapter you have bought is for the UW SCSI such as that on the CSPPC. You have narrow SCSI-2, whilst it should be backwards compatible this isn't always the case on Amiga and can lead to issues.

You would have been better off with a SCSI-IDE bridge which has a 50pin SCSI connector.

Also if you seat your HDD in the correct place in the A4000 the SCSI-IDE bridge will not connect directly as the bus board will be in the way you will need a short IDE extension cable which Amigakit sell. (Although not required for your adapter as you will be using converter cables anyway)
Old 21 October 2016, 00:17   #36
SnkBitten
Amithlon Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzsteve View Post
You might run into some issues as the adapter you have bought is for the UW SCSI such as that on the CSPPC. You have narrow SCSI-2, whilst it should be backwards compatible this isn't always the case on Amiga and can lead to issues.

You would have been better off with a SCSI-IDE bridge which has a 50pin SCSI connector.

Also if you seat your HDD in the correct place in the A4000 the SCSI-IDE bridge will not connect directly as the bus board will be in the way you will need a short IDE extension cable which Amigakit sell. (Although not required for your adapter as you will be using converter cables anyway)
I agree the 7720U would have been a more appropriate choice for my setup, but the 7720UW price was way too low to pass. All is working great on my A4000T with the 7720UW and the WarpEngine SCSI.
Old 23 October 2016, 09:11   #37
Chucky

Remember that the 50->68 pin adapters MUST have active termination on the higher bits.

interesting enough. I am in the vice versa state: I have a acard with WIDE SCSI (Actually, I got a bunch of them) that works great on the CSPPC (31MB/sec performance) but need a narrow (50 pin) for my BPPC. so want to do a trade?
Old 23 October 2016, 19:03   #38
edd_jedi

Well I've just spent the afternoon trying to get it to work without success. I have installed the SCSI tools from disk, but the Amiga won't boot with the Cyber SCSI connected. Have tried with and without a terminator on the second SCSI connector.

Of course with so many different parts connected it's hard to know where the point of failure is. The bridge was brand new so I have no reason to think that is at fault. The Cyber-SCSI was sold as working but of course any 20+ year old hardware could die at any time. I can't get the machine to boot with the Cyber SCSI connected so this seems the most likely culprit.

It could also be one of the jumper settings, but according to the manual they all are all set to the defaults.

Does anybody know if the SCSI board should show up separately to the main Cyberstorm board in the hardware test? (the one that loads if I you hold down both mouse buttons while booting.)
Old 23 October 2016, 19:08   #39
edd_jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzsteve View Post

Sorry Steve is this aimed at me or SnkBitten?
Old 23 October 2016, 19:27   #40
nogginthenog
Amigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by edd_jedi View Post
Does anybody know if the SCSI board should show up separately to the main Cyberstorm board in the hardware test? (the one that loads if I you hold down both mouse buttons while booting.)
Just checked. It does not. I have:
CyberVision 64/3D: 8512/67
CyberStorm Mk2: 8512/25
X-Surf 100: 4626/100

Hmmm.. This is a little worrying. Amiga Hardware Database lists CyberVision 64/3D 8512/67 as Zorro II (Zorro III is 8512/50). I wonder if that could explain the out of memory error I get when I try to define a 24bit mode.