English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 22 April 2016, 16:29   #1
trydowave

Which OS for A600 (vamp2). OS 3.9 or Amikit?

Got an A600 and about to install a Vampire 2. If all goes well which OS would you guys recommend? OS3.9 or Amikit?

I was originally going to copy my A1200s (ACA1232/33) CF install straight over to the A600 with a few changes.

But since the A600 is going to be my most powerful Amiga I was thinking of getting a more pretty and demanding OS since the Vamp can handle it.

Which one?

P.s. if go with amikit is it a simple case of opening the A1200s HDD install in winuae and installing Amikit over it; then transferring to another CF?

Cheers
Tony
Old 24 April 2016, 17:53   #2
JackLeather

Quote:
Originally Posted by trydowave View Post
Got an A600 and about to install a Vampire 2. If all goes well which OS would you guys recommend? OS3.9 or Amikit?

I was originally going to copy my A1200s (ACA1232/33) CF install straight over to the A600 with a few changes.

But since the A600 is going to be my most powerful Amiga I was thinking of getting a more pretty and demanding OS since the Vamp can handle it.

Which one?

P.s. if go with amikit is it a simple case of opening the A1200s HDD install in winuae and installing Amikit over it; then transferring to another CF?

Cheers
Tony
Welcome to club Vampire!

I have tried both with the Vampire. Classic Wb is super fast and worth a look. AmiKit real has all the bells and whistles and is the one i have chosen to stay with for now -Its just not as quick as CWB.

see the AKreal8 support thread for my experiences. main thing is 'setpatch NOROMUPDATE QUIET' in your s-s.

Finally, whichever distro you choose both are crying out for >640x480 which is the best you'll get ATM from vampire.
Old 25 April 2016, 08:55   #3
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

ClassicWB 3.9 all the way
Old 25 April 2016, 10:12   #4
demolition
Unregistered User

I tried AmiKit in WinUAE but it seems that it can not be configured below 800x600, at least not using the built-in tool?
Old 25 April 2016, 10:22   #5
JackLeather

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
I tried AmiKit in WinUAE but it seems that it can not be configured below 800x600, at least not using the built-in tool?

Not sure about AmiKit. Try AmiKit Real 8, that's what I'm using.
Old 25 April 2016, 10:23   #6
TuKo
Apollo Team

3.9 for me.

Amikit takes too much time to boot imho.
Old 25 April 2016, 10:26   #7
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackLeather View Post
Not sure about AmiKit. Try AmiKit Real 8, that's what I'm using.
Yes, I wanted to try that next since it seems a little more suitable for 640x480.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuKo View Post
3.9 for me.
Amikit takes too much time to boot imho.
Hopefully that will be better once we get 20MB/s from the onboard SD controller.
Old 25 April 2016, 10:40   #8
JackLeather

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
Yes, I wanted to try that next since it seems a little more suitable for 640x480.

Hopefully that will be better once we get 20MB/s from the onboard SD controller.
Yes, I'm also looking forward to using the onboard.

Looks like silver 4 will have sd and large hard disk support built in at boot.
Old 25 April 2016, 10:44   #9
supaduper

As Jack says its Retrofan`s Amikit Real for Amiga`s, I like the Build but obviously we are waiting on some more Saga resolutions but it works very well the little thing is some small artifacts around some icons in some of the drawers but its no biggy .

As also mentioned CWB 3.9 works superfast and really shows off the power of the Vamp so when the SD port is opened it will be another plus,
Old 25 April 2016, 15:40   #10
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Just a thing to take into account. You are comparing OS3.9 or CWB39 that run Workbench. AKReal as default uses DOpus5, Maguellan.

Maguellan will always boot later because of all of the options it adds. For example in WB you don't see all of the files as default in a drawer, so you have to click, select that, then you open the drawer you are searching, open it and you again have to select to view all, etc, etc. If you want to see the info file you've got to use DOpus instead, the same if you want to extract a compressed file. With DOpus5 you just move it from a drawer to another viewing as files and it's uncompressed, or if you want to see the files inside a compressed file, you can click on it and they will be shown too.

In fact all of the options DOpus has, and that's why it's a so popular program were added for Workbench so you could make things easily (or just make them). The authors later had some problems with his company and then they rewrote the program creating a new full Workbench replacement, DOpus5.

http://www.abime.net/articles/view/article/id/7

And many more things. So if you want to compare them, or if you want a faster booting use Workbench in AKReal.
Old 25 April 2016, 15:55   #11
ShK

A bit old video with the dev board, but the boot time is not that bad:
Old 25 April 2016, 16:15   #12
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

And you are booting with an image picture and using two booting sounds and an onscreen text message. Also there are two dock programs already started there in your video. And it has already checked for online live updates...
None of those things are in OS3.9/CWB. I would say it boots very fast indeed.

Anyway all of that can be disabled to your taste.
Old 25 April 2016, 19:44   #13
JackLeather

Here is AKReal8 booting on my A600 with Vampire (about a month ago) - I have customized it quite a bit since this video and reduced things like wbstartup++ wait time etc.

[ Show youtube player ]

I'll post another once we are past 640x480 res.
Old 26 April 2016, 10:11   #14
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

AKReal8 has awesome features and it's an amazing effort of putting the beefiest OS in your about.
True thing though is that is meant either for RTG system (like A600 using Vampire) or A1200/A4000 in AGA native resolutions.

As atm the native modes aren't supported through HDMI in the Vampire (you have to use Scart or SD/FF) if you decide to wait (living without RTG until core is done) anything more than 8 colors is uncomfortable due to ECS bottleneck.