English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 06 October 2017, 16:11   #581
Keir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman View Post
Ok it works now. It was that auto boot selector file I was missing. Strange that’s it’s not included in the zip download.
It's not my binary. It belongs to the HxC project.
Old 06 October 2017, 16:20   #582
Superman

Ah understood Nice job with this btw as I can now play Soccer Kid, Arabian Knights and Cannon Fodder because the disk swap actually works unlike the Cortex.
Old 08 October 2017, 22:26   #583
gurth

Flashed my Gotek with FlashFloppy, anything must be better than the experience I have with the Cortex firmware (1/20 chance of the drive booting to the selector ADF and then another 1/20 of being able to boot an ADF). The Cortex wouldn't like any USB which had been near my Mac

FlashFloppy is giving me issues still. All USB drives I try give an 'EJE' message after the 'F-F' on boot, guessing that means eject. Even Windows formatted drives give e no luck.

Are the Goteks super sensitive to USB drives and I just need to keep searching my drawers for a good-un?
Old 08 October 2017, 23:03   #584
Keir

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurth View Post
Flashed my Gotek with FlashFloppy, anything must be better than the experience I have with the Cortex firmware (1/20 chance of the drive booting to the selector ADF and then another 1/20 of being able to boot an ADF). The Cortex wouldn't like any USB which had been near my Mac

FlashFloppy is giving me issues still. All USB drives I try give an 'EJE' message after the 'F-F' on boot, guessing that means eject. Even Windows formatted drives give e no luck.

Are the Goteks super sensitive to USB drives and I just need to keep searching my drawers for a good-un?
It probably means you are using an HXCSDFE.CFG file with the eject-on-startup flag set. Try downloading a clean HXCSDFE.CFG file.

Alternatively press a button to select an image and exit the power-on eject state.
Old 09 October 2017, 22:03   #585
gurth

Pressing the buttons on the front does nothing sadly, nor does a soft-reset it just shows EJE until I switch off the Amiga - not a blink or flash briefly.

I put FF_Gotek-v0.8.1a.upd on the same USB and held the 2 buttons down on boot up the display showed udp and then did something, flashed the firmware I guess, looked successful.

So I'm at a loss really. No config files on the USB, just one named Pang.adf, does not boot but the udp file was picked up.
Old 09 October 2017, 22:09   #586
Keir

Quote:
Pressing the buttons on the front does nothing sadly, nor does a soft-reset it just shows EJE until I switch off the Amiga - not a blink or flash briefly.

I put FF_Gotek-v0.8.1a.upd on the same USB and held the 2 buttons down on boot up the display showed udp and then did something, flashed the firmware I guess, looked successful.

So I'm at a loss really. No config files on the USB, just one named Pang.adf, does not boot but the udp file was picked up.
If you have a clean USB stick as described then the problem has to be that you have jumper at position JA or otherwise inadvertently connected pin JA to ground.
Old 09 October 2017, 22:20   #587
Sinphaltimus

So I finally got around to flashing my GoTek after doing the OLED mod. No config setup, works great, so happy with this. Thank you.
Old 09 October 2017, 22:44   #588
gurth

pow pow! - JA does appear to be connected to ground on the Amiga.

Looking at the underneath at JA, the side nearest the front of the gotek (not the floppy connector) is bridging across to the pins either side, and those are bridged across again. Will clean up tomorrow evening and try again.

Thank you for your help!
Old 09 October 2017, 22:54   #589
Keir

Quote:
pow pow! - JA does appear to be connected to ground on the Amiga.

Looking at the underneath at JA, the side nearest the front of the gotek (not the floppy connector) is bridging across to the pins either side, and those are bridged across again. Will clean up tomorrow evening and try again.

Thank you for your help!
The front pins of J5/JA/JB/JC are all ground, hence they are expected to be connected. It is the pins closest to the floppy connector which really matter. Take a closer look anyhow and PM me if you can't see a problem yourself or get it working. I'm happy to help, since you're in the UK worst case you can even ship the PCB to me to fault find.
Old 10 October 2017, 07:56   #590
gurth

I’ll check again this evening with a meter. I have 7 pen drives of various sizes but no luck on any of them. My £20 windows laptop from Gumtree has died so I’m using my Mac to format FAT32 or 16, will try my Linux laptop this evening too.

Thanks for the offer. I lived in Peterhorror until recently and worked in Cambridge near the Science Park. Don’t miss the 3-6 hour round trip traveling the A14 although it’s a bit hilly up North after living on the fens.
Old 10 October 2017, 21:20   #591
Keir

NEW RELEASE v0.8.2a - Configuration File (FF.CFG)

https://github.com/keirf/FlashFloppy/wiki/Downloads

- Parse FF.CFG file (see examples/FF.CFG for options)
- LCD/OLED: Don't display bogus 'folder depth' in Autoboot mode
Old 10 October 2017, 23:01   #592
Amiga1992

BIG release!! Thanks kaffer!
I see 8.2.3a online only, though, what changed between .2 and .3?
Old 10 October 2017, 23:07   #593
Keir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
BIG release!! Thanks kaffer!
I see 8.2.3a online only, though, what changed between .2 and .3?
Just a bug I spotted after 0.8.2: I now support config files in an FF/ subfolder, for neatness. But HXCSDFE.CFG (if used) must reside in the root as that's where the file selector looks for it. Hence the 0.8.3 fix is to always search for the HXCSDFE.CFG and AUTOBOOT.HFE in the root folder, even if FF/ exists.

The files currently supported under FF/ are: FF.CFG, LASTDISK.IDX. There will likely be some more in future.
Old 10 October 2017, 23:26   #594
Amiga1992

Sorry I wrote nonsense (8.2.3a, what is it, 2037? haha :P) and thanks for clarifying that!
Haven't flashed my Gotek in a while, but I will surely test this new one.
Old 11 October 2017, 09:47   #595
Keir

v0.8.4a - Bug Fix for Firmware Update with OLED Display

Since v0.8.0a the update bootloader does not switch on the OLED display, hence update has to be done 'blind'.

Fix requires bootloader update to v0.8.4a, process is described here: https://github.com/keirf/FlashFloppy...irmware-Update
Old 11 October 2017, 14:32   #596
fryguy

What cheap (maybe they all are) rotary encoder works with F-F ?
Old 11 October 2017, 16:10   #597
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryguy View Post
What cheap (maybe they all are) rotary encoder works with F-F ?
https://github.com/keirf/FlashFloppy...rotary-encoder

Yes they are all dirt cheap.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=KY040
Old 11 October 2017, 17:48   #598
fryguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
The question should have been, do they all work with the Gotek?

Ah I now noticed that ky040 is mentioned on that github page.
Old 11 October 2017, 19:22   #599
Keir

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryguy View Post
The question should have been, do they all work with the Gotek?

Ah I now noticed that ky040 is mentioned on that github page.
They all work on the same principle and all will probably work. I have some alternative ones on order to test out. I'm not expecting any problems.
Old 11 October 2017, 21:36   #600
cbrunschen

I've updated my 3D model a bit more:

The Bezel now just specifies extra space to add to the faceplate in each direction; the bevelling of the edge of the faceplate is now specified separately – so you can now bevel the edge of the faceplate without extending it, and vice versa.

I've also added support for adding a rotary encoder - both with 2 and with 3 buttons: the hole is 7mm in diameter, and an 11mm-sized rotary encoder without the KY-040 PCB - something like the ALPS EC11E15244G1) - will actually fit even with 3 buttons in place already.

Best wishes,

// Christian