English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 21 October 2018, 18:26   #1
DamienD
Banned

Might And Magic III: Isles Of Terra - Issues

Heya guys,

Someone asked me if I could add Might And Magic III: Isles Of Terra to my collection

Been playing around today but not having much luck and wasted quite a few hours trying numerous things...

From floppy:
It always holts after the starting a new game and showing the display panel no matter what configuration I use.

WHDLoad version:
Not great as when starting a new game there are numerous pauses while loading (constant black screens and sound stopping while loading despite having more than enough RAM and using preload).

Native install:
Tried installing to a native .HDF but can't get the game to run without various issues.

Anyone have any success with either of the above methods?
Old 21 October 2018, 18:31   #2
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
WHDLoad version:
Not great as when starting the game there are numerous pauses while loading (constant black screens and sound stopping while loading despite having more than enough RAM and using preload).
Try running the patch with CACHE tooltype, it might fix the pause bugs.
Old 21 October 2018, 20:32   #3
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Yep, takes 1-2 minutes with a lot of OS/WHDload switches to create a new save game file. Iirc Pools of Radiance had the same problem when saving a game, then Psygore improved it a lot. I guess a new slave (with less switches) would be nice.
Old 21 October 2018, 21:02   #4
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Is a save game created when the game is started? If so, it might help to just copy an empty file with the same size of the save game file to the data directory to avoid the OS swaps and delays.
Old 21 October 2018, 23:04   #5
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Unfortunately this isn't working. I've created a dummy file in the exact same size of the original save and called it "save00.mm3", as the game would do. But with this file inside the game folder M&M III creates a new "save01.mm3" (with the black flashing) when i try to start a new game and ignores the other one.
Old 21 October 2018, 23:14   #6
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Glad it worked.

Quote:
I also abandoned the WHDLoad version with constant black screens and sound stopping while loading despite having more than enough RAM and using preload..

This has nothing to do with RAM. It's the OS to WHDLoad and back switching, while creating the save state/game file. This happens only once for every state your create. After that you can save without further "hickups" in the same slot.
Old 21 October 2018, 23:16   #7
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
Unfortunately this isn't working. I've created a dummy file in the exact same size of the original save and called it "save00.mm3", as the game would do. But with this file inside the game folder M&M III creates a new "save01.mm3" (with the black flashing) when i try to start a new game and ignores the other one.

Ok, then I guess a bug report is in order. Should be a very easy fix for Wepl to adapt the source and increase the IOCACHE size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
I also abandoned the WHDLoad version with constant black screens plus sound stopping while loading despite having more than enough RAM and using preload...

The black screens appear while saving, not during loading. Once all the save game files have been created at least once the OS swaps should disappear. I might open a ticket on the Mantis tracker so Wepl can update the patch.

Edit: Retro-Nerd posted while I wrote my reply.
Old 21 October 2018, 23:20   #8
DamienD
Banned

*** sorry guys, deleted / reposted as I made a last minute change to the .HDF ***

I gave up on the floppy disk version that kept crashing with "HALT2" when about to start the game.

I also abandoned the WHDLoad version with constant black screens plus sound stopping while loading despite having more than enough RAM and using preload...

It took a while but I managed to get a native install working perfectly with an AGA configuration and added a menu to load either the "Introduction" or the "Game":

Attached for anyone that wants it

Last edited by DamienD; 22 October 2018 at 13:15.
Old 21 October 2018, 23:22   #9
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Lol, what did you do? You moved your post down. Now my post #6 doesn't make sense anymore.
Old 21 October 2018, 23:50   #10
MageMaster

Sweet.. I spent a ton of time in the game.. same as clouds/darkside/world
Old 22 October 2018, 01:50   #11
Vairn
The Grim-Button

Glad you got it sorted, the black screen when loading from floppy is familiar to me.
I remember it happening a lot back on my a500, but not sure about my 1200.
I need to investigate lol

PS. you can ignore my PM I sent before I saw this lol.
Old 22 October 2018, 02:05   #12
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
[...]
It took a while but I managed to get a native install working perfectly with an AGA configuration and added a menu to load either the "Introduction" or the "Game": [...]
Nice one Damien !

After several tries, also managed to make it working on an A500 (WinUAE) with the native installer.
Old 22 October 2018, 09:32   #13
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
Lol, what did you do? You moved your post down. Now my post #6 doesn't make sense anymore.

Neither does mine. Anyway, I have now opened a report on the Mantis tracker to let Wepl know about this problem.
Old 22 October 2018, 11:32   #14
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Thanks for that, Stingy.
Old 22 October 2018, 12:44   #15
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by malko View Post
[...] After several tries, [...]
Looks like the encountered issues were due to a newly but bad HDF file .
Tested with FFS & PFS3aio : IPF & [cr Oracle] sets are working just fine from HD (WB1.3, 2MB Chip, 8MB Fast) under WinUAE
Old 22 October 2018, 13:15   #16
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
*** sorry guys, deleted / reposted as I made a last minute change to the .HDF ***

I gave up on the floppy disk version that kept crashing with "HALT2" when about to start the game.

It took a while but I managed to get a native install working perfectly with an AGA configuration and added a menu to load either the "Introduction" or the "Game":

Attached for anyone that wants it
When I created this .HDF yesterday I used this set:

... Might & Magic III - Isles of Terra (1992)(New World Computing)(Disk 1 of 7)(MM3-Play)[cr OCL][FD installed].zip
... Might & Magic III - Isles of Terra (1992)(New World Computing)(Disk 2 of 7)(MM3-Games)[cr OCL][FD installed].zip
... Might & Magic III - Isles of Terra (1992)(New World Computing)(Disk 3 of 7)(MM3-1)[cr OCL][FD installed].zip
... Might & Magic III - Isles of Terra (1992)(New World Computing)(Disk 4 of 7)(MM3-2)[cr OCL][FD installed].zip
... Might & Magic III - Isles of Terra (1992)(New World Computing)(Disk 5 of 7)(MM3-3)[cr OCL][FD installed].zip
... Might & Magic III - Isles of Terra (1992)(New World Computing)(Disk 6 of 7)(MM3-4)[cr OCL][FD installed].zip
... Might & Magic III - Isles of Terra (1992)(New World Computing)(Disk 7 of 7)(MM3-5)[cr OCL][FD installed].zip

I've now re-created the .HDF by installing from the .IPFs and only copying over the cracked "Might&MagicIII" file.

Attached
Attached Files
File Type: rar Might and Magic III - Isles of Terra HDF.rar (3.01 MB, 117 views)