English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 17 May 2010, 17:27   #21
Graham Humphrey

That's the reality of it Cosmicfrog, indeed. I long for the day when we don't have to worry about things like distributing WB disks etc anymore. There is more than a hint of double standards about the whole "what can be uploaded" thing but that's kinda how it has to be. The interests and safety of EAB come first for us.

Oh and hot trout, this also means you'll have to remove your links from your profile and signature too...
Old 17 May 2010, 17:38   #22
hot trout
Webmaster

To be honest guys, I really did'nt expect this at all, especially from Amiga users.

I have only posted a handfull of times but am already thinking that this is not for me. This is not the Amiga Scene that I was a part of, nothing of this thread rings true. I used to swap 25 Jiffy bags a week with members all over Europe and US. Those of you you that were there in 1987 will remember the feeling of being part of something unique and new, you will know what I am talking about. To everyone else that was not there but nevertheless loves the Amiga and everything it stands for I will leave you this link to my Blog (dont panic there is nothing to download), this says it all I think.

I am somewhat more sad from having posted here today. Sorry guys, this was not how the Amiga was.

Last edited by hot trout; 17 May 2010 at 17:48.
Old 17 May 2010, 17:39   #23
hot trout
Webmaster

DDNI,

Were you involved in the Untouchables Utility Disk I or II ?
Old 17 May 2010, 17:41   #24
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDNI View Post
This new member has a stunning website that will be of huge use to newer members that haven't yet leached it all from across the web.
And he'll still have it. If he removes two subfolders, he can post the link here, if not, he can't. Google will find it in a few days. Don't see the fuss about it either way. We let the links here, Mike from Cloanto comes around, there's big talk and stuff about a bad link etc. Is it really worth it?
Old 17 May 2010, 17:43   #25
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
@hot trout

No not me.
Thanks for your site though.

BTW EAB is a great place, but the hypocrisy over KS and WB images brings out the worst in it.

You should give it a chance, there are lots of things that happen in a less public manner
Old 17 May 2010, 17:45   #26
hot trout
Webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
And he'll still have it. If he removes two subfolders,
Excatly which two subfolders

Operating Systems - Workbench

what else ?
Old 17 May 2010, 17:45   #27
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

Did those BBS's in the old days have massive download Justin Bieber ringtone ads on their front page too?

Seriously, EAB has been attacked before by people trying to protect their so called intellectual property. Awesome websites have had to be taken down because of one or two jerkoffs. Its really not that hard to understand. This forum has been here for 9 years. Would be a shame to lose it because you cant understand the rules and want to argue a point we all agree with but cant do anything about right now.

edit: I also hope you asked permission from EAB member Antiriad for using his artwork for your sites background.
Old 17 May 2010, 17:46   #28
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot trout View Post
Those of you you that were there in 1997 will remember the feeling of being part of something unique and new, you will know what I am talking about.
You mean 1987 I hope.

Quote:
I am somewhat more sad from having posted here today. Sorry guys, this was not how the Amiga was.
I'm sad that you didn't care to read the rules first and then to post it in News. The scene wasn't an open forum that had to deal with 'officials' anyway. I know I sound like a prick, but I deal with the same stuff for the file server we have here. We keep it 'clean' and still have a very nice collection of stuff to offer.

Quote:
Excatly which two subfolders

Operating Systems - Workbench

what else ?
Games - SPS
Old 17 May 2010, 17:47   #29
hot trout
Webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_hairy_bootson View Post
Did those BBS's in the old days have massive download Justin Bieber ringtone ads on their front page too?

No but mine did have advertising on the front screen oddly enough. Those were the days, when 9600bps was for elite members only
Old 17 May 2010, 17:47   #30
Graham Humphrey

Quote:
BTW EAB is a great place, but the hypocrisy over KS and WB images brings out the worst in it.
Okay, so let's allow them to be linked to and distributed on here, and see how long EAB lasts shall we?
Old 17 May 2010, 17:50   #31
hot trout
Webmaster

CyberDruid,

Sorry, I do mean 1987. You dont sound like a prick and I do understand your position completely. It just feels odd, this coming from Amiga users.

If I remove these two folders from the site are we in happy land ?
Old 17 May 2010, 17:52   #32
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
If I remove these two folders from the site are we in happy land ?
Aye
Btw : Is that the 2009-12-27 TOSEC set?
Old 17 May 2010, 17:53   #33
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
@GH this was not directed at you or EAB TOS, but at all of us who use googled KS ROMS then worry about public links.

It is absolutely true that EAB would be placed under huge scrutiny if the links to WB and KS remained.
Therefore to protect EAB, they had to go BUT this does not remove the blatant hypocrisy involved.
Old 17 May 2010, 17:58   #34
hot trout
Webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
Aye
Btw : Is that the 2009-12-27 TOSEC set?
Yes with a few additions and by the looks of it, now a few omissions.
Old 17 May 2010, 18:00   #35
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
It is absolutely true that EAB would be placed under huge scrutiny if the links to WB and KS remained.
Therefore to protect EAB, they had to go BUT this does not remove the blatant hypocrisy involved.
So true Guess those who search for those files do it with at least one closed eye...
Old 17 May 2010, 18:02   #36
Graham Humphrey

Of course there's total hypocrisy. I am sure the vast majority have downloaded ROMs and stuff like that from all sorts of sites. We all know why we don't allow them here and I think people get a bit jumpy because we know that somebody could take a rather dim view and get this site closed down (as has happened in the past elsewhere) and none of us want that to happen. But obviously if people can get this stuff for free they will one way or the other. I don't think anyone is pretending they are innocent and are totally law-abiding and it isn't a personal attack on anyone posting links to these things.

We would all love it to change I am sure (I have never denied that I hate it being like this - not least it creates more work) and I don't particularly like doing it - roll on the day where we can do what we like!
Old 17 May 2010, 18:04   #37
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

Look what happened to BTTR, they had legal downloads but were still shut down once or twice.
Old 17 May 2010, 18:10   #38
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

We protect RCK, nobody else. I can't see any real hypocrisy here. The chances are nearly zero that somebody would sue RCK for uploading old ADF images. Except 2-3 all Amiga companies from the past are bancrupt or merged into major labels who haven't any clue these days what an Amiga is/was.

WB and Kickstarts should be free (just like the Atari ST TOS), yes. But it won't happen in the near future i'm afraid.

SPS: That's another story. It's their decision, not EABs.
Old 17 May 2010, 18:13   #39
Bronko
Remember: Shoot or die!

Send a message via ICQ to Bronko
It's sad, but if we want to live, we mustn't link to Kickstarts and Workbenches.
And as we want SPS to be 100% legel/correct, we don't link to ipf's...

We can be happy, that it's no problem to link to TOSEC collections here.
If I would try this in a German forum... Stupid "Abmahnwesen"!

But enough of that, it's a great page... But it really needs a search function.
Old 17 May 2010, 18:17   #40
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronko View Post

We can be happy, that it's no problem to link to TOSEC collections here.
If I would try this in a German forum... Stupid "Abmahnwesen"!
No there wouldn't happen anything, unless you don't upload e.g. APC&TCP stuff. No prosecuter (=all the bancrupt companies), no case. You can't sue without a client. That's the point why the old Amiga ADF stuff is pretty safe.