English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 19 August 2003, 22:14   #1
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Collective Amiga Organisation

There are lots of Amiga-related projects on the go at the moment (Emu-UK, EAB, HOL, CAPS, APoV, WHDLoad, Bippy's DVD, Akira's game etc.).

Would it be useful to have a general organisation that these projects could join?

For example:

- Instead of one person contacting Taito about Liquid Kids, the organisation would make a more professional face.
- Someone looking for Amiga projects could come to a central website.
- Standards could be introduced.
- Each would benefit from the rest.

Hmmmm
Old 19 August 2003, 22:25   #2
Dizzy
Pirate

That would be a great idea.

Their would also need to be a project that gain the rights to release old amiga magazine as pdf etc
Old 19 August 2003, 22:31   #3
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Sounds like such a great idea. It'd seem to much more 'official' if it was necessary to contact a company/individual for whatever reason.

It's top of the GOOD IDEA LIST TM
Old 19 August 2003, 22:33   #4
Dizzy
Pirate

PLZ no Vote...
Old 19 August 2003, 22:44   #5
Djay
95th User

Fantasic idea, now this is how i want the scene to progress... how about a website created by a few members from EAB and EMU-UK... to process all the info coming in and keep the site updated with news on all the projects.... not just the ones we know about, we could allow people to post messages about their projects....

..... just a thought
Old 19 August 2003, 22:48   #6
Amiga1992

Not bad, for the lost games part etc. I don't see much benefit in the case I end up making my game. Though the team that gets formed while making the game can be part of this collective.

Green lights
Old 20 August 2003, 00:03   #7
KombatSanta
Pipboy approved

Send a message via ICQ to KombatSanta
great idea! Containing links to project sites, a main page with the latest news(php nuke?) a small forum dedicated to top projects only, etc, etc
Old 20 August 2003, 00:50   #8
Frootloop

Yup, a great idea. I suggested a news portal a while back and this joining of forces sounds like it'd be an even better idea. The classic Amiga community is too fragmented, it'd be nice to have a central location that covers the major events in the scene. And lobbying publishers and programmers to release their software freely to the public is a great idea, too. Yes, we already have sites like BTTR and Ami Sector One, but a central web site covering these efforts as a whole, professional in design, might help encourage people to release more of their software.

EDIT: No PhpNuke! Too many sites use it.
Old 20 August 2003, 02:09   #9
Fjrb

Good idea.

Keep it independent.
Old 20 August 2003, 09:37   #10
fiath

We are the collective, you will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.

I think this is a great way to progress. Benifit for all.
Old 20 August 2003, 11:33   #11
useless/spb

Great idea!
We`ll join a project like that anytime!
Old 20 August 2003, 11:41   #12
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

It's not going to be easy mind,

Most of the prominent people in the scene (those that work on the main projects that exist) are very busy, and a lot of others don't necessarily have a lot to offer other than enthuisasm.

Doesn't mean I don't agree with it though!! I'd certainly be willing to do what I can.

Maybe we could have our own Bi-Plane with our logo on the wings!
Old 20 August 2003, 12:41   #13
Dizzy
Pirate

Quote:
Originally posted by killergorilla

Can this do (not on the wings but on the side)
Old 20 August 2003, 13:16   #14
manicx

Excellent idea!
Old 20 August 2003, 16:47   #15
KombatSanta
Pipboy approved

Send a message via ICQ to KombatSanta
Quote:
Originally posted by killergorilla
It's not going to be easy mind,

Most of the prominent people in the scene (those that work on the main projects that exist) are very busy, and a lot of others don't necessarily have a lot to offer other than enthuisasm.

Doesn't mean I don't agree with it though!! I'd certainly be willing to do what I can.

Well, someone or a bunch of people not involved in any projects, should maintain the website.Then people doing projects mail him/them on updates and that's what's going on the main newspage. Or alternatively put the news directly on both the main page and their own project site.

On the mainpage is links to a "current projects" and "finished projects" wich contains deeper information about the projects. They also contains who to contact if someone wish to be involved , or have any questions about the project.

php nuke or not, this simple model shouldn't be hard to implement.
Old 20 August 2003, 17:09   #16
Dizzy
Pirate

The late Amigamos was a cool portal.
It should have links to diff amigasite. And then all the diff project could have their subsite.
We wouldn't need to invent everything from the bttom, but could use some of the cool site out there. Mayby if it had a "history" site where all the diff company's story was told, then you might get the company interested.
Old 20 August 2003, 17:37   #17
khephren

Once that plane is shrunk to fit in with a web design you ain't gonna be able to see it.

Have the boing ball there and EAB on the wings, at least it will be visable.

PHP-Nuke is good for a quick solution for a portal, and it does not have to look like all the others, depends on how arsed to can be to customise it. Many do not know the code so are lost and stick with crap themes and the bog standard look.
Old 20 August 2003, 17:48   #18
Paul
RIP Friends

Quote:
Originally posted by Dizzy
The late Amigamos was a cool portal.
It should have links to diff amigasite. And then all the diff project could have their subsite.
We wouldn't need to invent everything from the bttom, but could use some of the cool site out there. Mayby if it had a "history" site where all the diff company's story was told, then you might get the company interested.
Talking about Amigamos......and this depends on Jambo, but if the site Jambo was maintained by a team then it would not be such a pain to update and would save time (Jambo seems very busy lately, and I hate seeing another Amiga site go unmaintained). This would be better then starting again.
Old 20 August 2003, 17:53   #19
Dizzy
Pirate

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul
Talking about Amigamos......and this depends on Jambo, but if the site Jambo was maintaned by a team then it would not be such a pain to update. This would be better then starting again.
Yes this must be the problem with most of this cool site, only being one man project. So dividing it into smaller team would make the update easyer
Old 20 August 2003, 18:05   #20
Paul
RIP Friends

At the moment, I do post just news and update the guide via a forum type system.

This type of system would be great to control the layout etc.

What happened about ALE? (another project which stopped.) The more I think about it, this is a great idea of CodyJs