English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 30 April 2008, 22:06   #1
rlcarr

AmigaKit internal floppies?

I sent the following email to amigakit.com:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlcarr
Hello. This is a question about the AMIFDD002 3.5" floppy drive. Is this a 100% Amiga-compatible drive (i.e. exactly equivalent to the stock drives on the A2000 and A3000)? Or is it one of the quasi-compatible modified PC drives like the ones Escom used on New Old Stock A1200s? Thank you
The reply was
Quote:
Originally Posted by amigakit.com
It is a brand new mechanism that has a very high level of compatibility but some titles may not work.
How should I interpret this response? Is it basically saying these drives are essentially the same as the Escom NOS A1200 floppy drives? I was looking to buy a drive or two replace internal drives on an A2000 and an A3000. Will this even work with them (to be fair, AmigaKit's website does claim their AMIFDD002 will work with an A2000)? Am I better off waiting for original internal drives to become available on eBay?

Thanks!
Old 30 April 2008, 23:17   #2
Photon

Hey Just call them up and they'll guide you. Amigakit UK is basically run using people's spare time, and we should be very grateful there are people running an actual company making money selling Amiga kit.

You asked if the drive was exactly like this or that drive. In a few years, not a single drive will be manufactured. I'm afraid you'll have to buy what is still manufactured.

So the choices are down to
1) A used floppy drive from some ebay Amiga, which might work great, but also not great
2) A brand new drive that will write disks correctly and read almost all copy-protected originals, and
3) A floppy emulator Flash card adapter

3) is the way of the future - unless you are planning to just "read my disk collection for preservation", in which case you need a reliable floppy of any kind - and if you plan on only using those floppy images that are on the net (many but not all)

Me, I'd go for 2), after all it's not much money compared to 3) (or buying an ebay Amiga just to nick the drive)

I have a working A1200 with drives so I actually didn't buy a drive last order. Others may have feedback on how well they work
Old 01 May 2008, 01:53   #3
Fingerlickin_B
Amiga Nut

I've bought one of those (with the fascia, not 1200 type) from Amigakit ages ago.

It doesn't have a ready(?) signal, so won't boot non-DOS games properly.

Great drive for "work" purposes though

PZ.
Old 01 May 2008, 09:46   #4
Hewitson

The 1200 drive I bought from vesalia a few months ago is 100% compatible.
Old 01 May 2008, 09:50   #5
musashi5150
move.w #$4489,$dff07e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingerlickin_B View Post
It doesn't have a ready(?) signal, so won't boot non-DOS games properly.
Sounds familiar It's quite possible the signal could be added though. Maybe have a chat with Jope or view the thread about converting PC floppies to work with Amigas.
Old 01 May 2008, 13:36   #6
Fingerlickin_B
Amiga Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by musashi5150 View Post
Sounds familiar It's quite possible the signal could be added though. Maybe have a chat with Jope or view the thread about converting PC floppies to work with Amigas.
No matter now, I just got three that do (as of a few minutes ago) have the signal...as per the thread

PZ.
Old 01 May 2008, 19:12   #7
rlcarr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingerlickin_B View Post
No matter now, I just got three that do (as of a few minutes ago) have the signal...as per the thread
Where? eBay?
Old 02 May 2008, 03:59   #8
Fingerlickin_B
Amiga Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlcarr View Post
Where? eBay?
Yeah, and I bought the seller's remaining stocks of second hand ones too...but they have one new drive left in stock if you want a link:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Samsung-SFD-321B-Floppy-disk-drive-NEW_W0QQitemZ200130500479QQihZ010QQcategoryZ39977QQcmdZViewItem

They had two left the other day, but it would seem one has been snapped up by an Amiga user from France

Modding these is so easy anyone can do it. Add a single wire and move a resistor. Narmi posted pics in the Modifying Floppy Drives thread.

PZ.

Last edited by Fingerlickin_B; 02 May 2008 at 05:06.
Old 02 May 2008, 08:36   #9
Jope
-

This is really strange.. It's now common knowledge how to modify these PC drives and yet still retailers sell drives that are only set to DS0 and 2-34 swapped without a real ready signal..

I have sold a self-modified Panasonic to a dude here in .fi who was struggling with a Vesalia bought "compatible drive".. No success with the Vesalia one, immediate success with the Panasonic. What gives?

If these dudes have time to solder custom cables for the Amiga audience, then I'm sure there's time to properly modify the PC mechanisms too. :-(