English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 12 March 2003, 07:42   #1
WindowsBoy

I'm new around here

I used to have an Amiga and found this site by accident. What do you guys do here? I guess I will have to explore the site more.

Old 12 March 2003, 08:43   #2
Mr Softy

Send a message via ICQ to Mr Softy Send a message via MSN to Mr Softy
Smile Re: I'm new around here

Quote:
Originally posted by WindowsBoy
What do you guys do here?
We all love the Amiga, in a way or another!

Wlecome!

oh, and... expect some gentle sarcasms regarding your username and avatar!
Old 12 March 2003, 09:13   #3
LaundroMat

Re: I'm new around here

Quote:
Originally posted by WindowsBoy
What do you guys do here?
Best EAB newcomer question. Ever. Honest.

Welcome, WindowsBoy, and be prepared to be taken back to the innocence that was your youth, the countless hours spent in front of the Amiga, jumpers for goalposts...

Oh wait.
Old 12 March 2003, 09:15   #4
WindowsBoy

Well after reviewing some of the site I must say.

Are you guys “Out of Touch Rich Elitists?

After reading many posts from Akira, UnknownK, IanS, Pyromania, Twistin Ghost, Mr. Softly, Amigaboy, RetroMan, LaundroMat I am shocked! When I owned an Amiga comparing it to the latest version of Windows at the time (3.1) hell yes the Amiga was far better. But comparing that same Workbench (3.1) which has never been updated in what 10 years now to Windows XP (The ultimate superior OS of all time) is unbelievable. Of course XP is better do you guys have your heads stuck in the sand? Doesn’t Workbench do like 256 colors max even on the best Amiga (4000)? I love to play classic Amiga games as much as the next guy via emulation but I don’t dare even think my emulated Amiga is better than then the Windows OS it is dependant on and a slave to run. WinUAE is a Windows program after all. We all should be thankful of Windows and the WinUAE developers that have given us a way to run classic Amiga games since the Amiga hardware is Outdated/Not available/Old.

It’s 2003 guys, a new Amiga game or app has not been produced in years and the company is dead.

Last edited by WindowsBoy; 12 March 2003 at 09:25.

Old 12 March 2003, 09:31   #5
Tim Janssen

Smile Welcome...

Welcome to EAB, Windowsboy.

Most people here at EAB (myself included) have a soft spot for 'dead' machines and nostalgia in general.

Yes, Windows XP is better than Workbench and yes, the Amiga isn't commercially viable anymore (although we have seen Quake 2, Hexen II and Knights and Merchants the past few years).
However, this is a discussion board about the Amiga, its games and its community. Most people on this board have used the Amiga almost on a daily basis in the late eighties and nineties and most people admit the whole community and culture that surrounded the Amiga makes it so unique. This is what we still fondly remember and we are all aware this will never be matched by the current mass-market PCs and consoles.
Old 12 March 2003, 09:35   #6
manicx

Ooops! Butter in me bread!!!! Ermm, do you know anything about OS3.5 or even better 3.9, or MorphOS, or OS4.0?

Workbench with 256 colours max? Mine runs in 24bit... I just found a little program that very few people know about it (I doubt if more than 2-3 know its existence) called Picasso96. The rest are stuck in the middle ages with 256 colours max.

For your information the original program was called UAE (no win?) and was running in linux...

winXP ultimate superior OS of all time? This is really runty...
Old 12 March 2003, 09:42   #7
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Re: Welcome...

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Janssen
Yes, Windows XP is better than Workbench...
[...]
This is what we still fondly remember and we are all aware this will never be matched by the current mass-market PCs and consoles.
Speak for yourself, as I am apart of all and I vigorously disagree with both comments.

Note to self: subtract credibility points from TJ...
Old 12 March 2003, 09:47   #8
Mr Softy

Arrow

mmmh. If you don't like the rich elitists here, you're allowed to leave.

Anyway... I love the Amiga, I have windows (2K) because it happens to be a standard, but I'm not fond of it. It can be efficient, it is more stable than I thought, but Minisoft is a very dangerous company. :disgusted
Old 12 March 2003, 09:55   #9
Tim Janssen

Red face Ooops..

@Twistin', you wrote:
Quote:
Speak for yourself, as I am apart of all and I vigorously disagree with both comments.
I am sorry if I have spoken for the whole board - it wasn't my intention. I just wanted to give a gentle reply to Amigaboy's 'provocation' to the Amiga.
Old 12 March 2003, 10:04   #10
RetroMan

Quote:
I'm new around here
I don´t think so
Old 12 March 2003, 10:06   #11
Mr Creosote
Evil Mastermind

Quote:
Are you guys “Out of Touch Rich Elitists?
I'm an out of touch poor elitist
Old 12 March 2003, 10:20   #12
Amigaboy

Re: Ooops..

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Janssen
I just wanted to give a gentle reply to Amigaboy's 'provocation' to the Amiga.
I hope you meant WindowsBoy, instead of me.
Yes, I'm a fan of Windows, but I'm not going to tell an entire board of Amiga addicts that they have their head in the sand.

Old 12 March 2003, 10:35   #13
Tim Janssen

Roll eyes (sarcastic) Ooops again.

@Amigaboy,
Hmm, it seems I am REALLY messed - ofcourse I meant Windowsboy with my reply.

I am not quite clear this morning - a result of lack of sleep and too much stress on my work. Until then, I'll shut my mouth before I offend more people.
Old 12 March 2003, 10:42   #14
Mr Softy

Big grin A parabol...

This thread reminds me of something I've seen:

It was two or three years ago. I went to a punk night at a local club. There was three or four bands playing, and the place was filled with people. It was the first time of my life I've seen so many punks at once. I mean, real punks, like in London 1975. Not some pre-teens with Blink 182 T-Shirts. The real deal.
There was maybe 200 of them! Bad, ugly, drunk, and having a hell of a good time.
Then I went outside, to take a breath of fresh air and smoke a cigarette or two. There was also a dozen punks outside, with their dogs. And there come those two very drunk B-Boys, dressed like Snoop Doggy Dog, who start talking shit. Saying things like, "hey stupid punks, you suck!" "what's the dog for? zoophily?", or "punk music is for loosers". This kind of shit. I felt like it was time for me to go back inside. I mean, punks are known to be hot-blooded, and they know how and when to use their fists.
I thought it was really dangerous, not to say stupid, to taunt a hundred of always-angry punks. I would not have done that, would I? Besides, the b-boys were only two.
Maybe that the b-boys were not totally aware of the place being filled with punks inside.
Old 12 March 2003, 10:50   #15
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

lol
EAB is full of Punks!
Old 12 March 2003, 10:51   #16
manicx

Amiga Cyberpunks!!!
Old 12 March 2003, 11:18   #17
kriz

Arrrghh !!!! Stupid and ignorant comment by windozeboi , I dont even want to comment on what he said because if he havent followed the amiga the last 10 years , he doesnt know anything about the amiga after 1994. He probably havent heard about ppc cpu`s, mediators (pci boards), sound cards, new games/and apps, OS 3.9, the development of amigaOne ....

amiga cyperpunks unite !!!
Old 12 March 2003, 11:31   #18
WindowsBoy

Quote:
Originally posted by kriz
Arrrghh !!!! Stupid and ignorant comment by windozeboi , I dont even want to comment on what he said because if he havent followed the amiga the last 10 years , he doesnt know anything about the amiga after 1994. He probably havent heard about ppc cpu`s, mediators (pci boards), sound cards, new games/and apps, OS 3.9, the development of amigaOne ....

amiga cyperpunks unite !!!
AmigaNONE you mean?

Old 12 March 2003, 11:45   #19
kriz

why are you flaming ???

whats the point of joining an amiga board if you dont like amiga (and even dont want to hear about the new developments, surely if you were an amiga user you would like to see its still alive ...) ????!
Old 12 March 2003, 11:45   #20
manicx

winXXXP?