English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General

Old 06 June 2019, 17:09   #81
sandruzzo

You can spare a lot of cycle by using some tricks for bobs' . So 50hz could be possible.
Old 06 June 2019, 17:12   #82
roondar

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandruzzo View Post
You can spare a lot of cycle by using some tricks for bobs' . So 50hz could be possible.
I know why you think this, and in my edited post I did point that out.
Old 06 June 2019, 17:16   #83
sandruzzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by roondar View Post
I know why you think this, and in my edited post I did point that out.
I did some test, and it seems to work. Turn off plane above and belowe players. Use fast blits when they don't overlap, or part of them don't. Use a little bit bigger blits, so to avoid restoring screen. A little bit bigger screen area and maybe bobs.

What an incredible job they did with Elf mania which has an incredible parallax?
Old 07 June 2019, 10:02   #84
zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
In terms of programming it may not be ideal, but it's a fantastic controller to play with. Extremely comfortable to use, unlike the CD32.
Not just in terms of programming, in terms of overhead to read it. You have to poll it multiple times every frame. The 6 button mode requires several cycles in quick succession.

In other words it wastes a lot of your valuable CPU time.
Old 07 June 2019, 13:54   #85
Daedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by roondar View Post
This is extremely true. When I finally got access to a real Mega Drive a few years ago I was stunned by the difference in quality between its pad and that of the competition. It's not just better than the CD32 pad (which always was pretty awful, in no small part due to the terrible D-Pad) but also than the SNES one and the PC-Engine one.

The MD one just sits in the hand so much better than any of them. It seems designed for use by humans rather than for looking nice.
Funny, I never liked the Megadrive controller. I always found the D-pad to be too big, and of course, the Honeybee CD32 controller is similar enough that I don't like that one either. The SNES style has a much nicer D-pad than the MD pads for me, and I prefer the shoulder button style layout for most games.

Of course, it's still a massive step up from the D-pad on the original CD32 controller.

As for reading controllers, the MD pad also needs a lot of cycles to read the 6 button variety, so you're unlikely to save any time there. Running them from the parallel port poses a couple of issues - first, 5V power is inadequate, so would also need connection to another port. Then, you'll still need to multiplex to read all the buttons, and multiplex again for a second controller. This means you'll need some extra logic in the adaptor - a direct pin-pin connection will give you no advantages over the standard controller port. Such a multiplexing scheme will still need a few cycles to read a controller in - there aren't enough bits in one read to get all the buttons, so you'll need to write and read again (and potentially wait) to get the rest. Such a device that can autonomously decode an MD pad into two bytes will be relatively expensive, and therefore less likely to be supported back in the day.
Old 09 June 2019, 17:53   #86
roondar

Interesting, I don't mind the SNES pad, but for me it gets uncomfortable to hold/use so much quicker than the MD one.
Old 09 June 2019, 23:28   #87
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Part of the reason Mortal Kombat 1 & 2 were so much better on Amiga than Streetfighter 2 was because the Atari ST was NEVER a consideration for conversion in the first place, so right away, they didn't have to consider what the ST could manage, and then leave themselves with a bigger job in changing the ST version to be properly Amiga specific.

I would imagine the ST version of Streetfighter 2 was written first, and other than some slight colour improvements and better music/effects, the Amiga version followed very quickly.
Old 10 June 2019, 05:33   #88
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

The Street Fighter franchise has always been mistreated on the miggy, think at the first one being ported by Tiertex and establishing its eternal place in the hall of shame!!!

The following is a story i already told but is still a good reminder for the future:

in april 1989 the italian edition of The Games Machine made an april fool about the "US edition" of Street Fighter 1, coded by none-the-less Discovery Software, showing an almost arcade perfect screenshot and narrating about a seven disk game; it indeed stroke a nerve and proved so effective that even years later, in 1993, someone in the mail still was asking what happened to that port!
Old 10 June 2019, 12:27   #89
sandruzzo

If we use ElfMani as comparison we could tell that Amigas' SF2 could had be better
Old 14 June 2019, 08:00   #90
Hewitson

Galahad is (as usual) correct. However the Amiga SF2 port would have still sucked, no matter what happened. As do the MK conversions.

Are they impressive for the hardware? Yes.

Are they shit compared to almost every other version of the game? Absolutely.

By this stage the A500 was so far behind the competition that it was nothing short of an embarassment. These should have been A1200 games. But even if they were, they still would have been shit due to the ridiculous 1/2 button limitation that has plagued the Amiga since the very beginning.

Edit: Not to mention the fact that the fuckwits who programmed these games didn't even make them hard drive installable. Absolute tossers.

Commodore didn't kill the Amiga, people who made shit games for it did.

Last edited by Hewitson; 14 June 2019 at 08:07.
Old 14 June 2019, 08:18   #91
sandruzzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
Galahad is (as usual) correct. However the Amiga SF2 port would have still sucked, no matter what happened. As do the MK conversions.

Are they impressive for the hardware? Yes.

Are they shit compared to almost every other version of the game? Absolutely.

By this stage the A500 was so far behind the competition that it was nothing short of an embarassment. These should have been A1200 games. But even if they were, they still would have been shit due to the ridiculous 1/2 button limitation that has plagued the Amiga since the very beginning.

Edit: Not to mention the fact that the fuckwits who programmed these games didn't even make them hard drive installable. Absolute tossers.

Commodore didn't kill the Amiga, people who made shit games for it did.
What about Elf Mania on regular A500? Impressive nontheless
Old 14 June 2019, 10:23   #92
mcgeezer

Quote:
What about Elf Mania on regular A500? Impressive nontheless
I played this game the other day (because you keep going on about it).

Yes, it's technically excellent but the game play is crap which pretty much makes the game crap.

Good games push all of the human sensory buttons, Elf Mania only pushes sight.
Old 14 June 2019, 10:26   #93
sandruzzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgeezer View Post
I played this game the other day (because you keep going on about it).

Yes, it's technically excellent but the game play is crap which pretty much makes the game crap.

Good games push all of the human sensory buttons, Elf Mania only pushes sight.
Ok, gameplay crap. What about a better one with that impressive effects?
Old 14 June 2019, 17:15   #94
mcgeezer

Quote:
Ok, gameplay crap. What about a better one with that impressive effects?
You'd need to start inside out for creating a game like this.

Just some thoughts...

1) Create a good control system using just a two button joypad.

If that succeeds then...

2) Create a very efficient sprite management routine

If that succeeds then...

3) Create an efficient panning routine (probably just have all the background in memory, 80 bytes wide by 20 bytes high would be enough).

however.... (and this has been said before) it's number 1 that causes this genre to fail on the Amiga/ST. The reason these types of games are shit is because of the button limitations.
Old 14 June 2019, 20:33   #95
DanScott
Lemon. / Core Design

4) just carry on talking endlessly about it....
Old 14 June 2019, 20:47   #96
mcgeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanScott View Post
I can only agree it bores me to death.

I wish the lad would just get on with it.... looking back I even took the time to extract a few sprites for him.

Last edited by mcgeezer; 14 June 2019 at 20:49. Reason: For Fuck Sake.
Old 14 June 2019, 22:11   #97
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanScott View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgeezer View Post
I can only agree it bores me to death.

I wish the lad would just get on with it....
Couldn't agree more...

Endless discussion threads about theoretical techniques without actually trying to produce anything are pointless IMHO.
Old 14 June 2019, 22:50   #98
seko

Hi everybody ,below video show SF2 game mod format music.it like arcade musics. ken stage music, ryu stage music ,Zangief stage music , Sf2 intro music, Sf2 select charcter music .i made video. but i dont made mod musics. i found it from internet.File size is only 64 kb.

[ Show youtube player ]

i shared before this video.coded game c language.sf2ce test on Amiga 1200 with apollo 1240.Graphics dualplayfield .Screen color is thirtytwo .Eight color is first playfield.Other eight color is second playfield.
Last sixteen color for bob . Two player character are has made blit object. A500 ,A600 , and A1200 without turbo. test result bad .It working slow.
if can use assembly language .maybe enough fast.but amiga has got lack memory.Stopped developing.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 15 June 2019, 15:01   #99
Hewitson

Wow. That music is a real embarassment. Personally, if I had have been the composer, I would have used a set of decent quality instruments and used these same instruments on every song in order to save disk space.

The result would have been far less disk space used, shorter loading times, and far higher quality music. An absolute no brainer.
Old 15 June 2019, 15:47   #100
roondar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Couldn't agree more...

Endless discussion threads about theoretical techniques without actually trying to produce anything are pointless IMHO.
Discussing things is kind of the point of a forum. Building stuff is entirely optional. Just sayin' some people might simply like these discussions

For me, these discussions actually have helped me to do stuff. Now, I admit I've not done games - but all of the example programs I've made over the past 18 months or so were done based on exactly this kind of theoretical thread.

These little examples were actually made to try and help people see that some of this theoretical stuff can be used 'for real'.

Maybe one day I will make a game or something like that - probably using stuff I read or thought about in one of these many threads. Sadly, my personal life the last few years has been a bit of a mess so my priorities were elsewhere.