English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Misc > Amiga websites reviews

Old 16 December 2010, 13:32   #41
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

That makes TCD a sad panda. They don't even have a machine or 'AmigaOS 5', but a cool 'forum fan site'
Old 16 December 2010, 13:36   #42
Anakirob
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofan View Post
As I've said I like it. The only thing is what's inside.
Who knows? Perhaps to replace my PC, but not my Amiga.

We don't have nothing against WinUAE, do we? It's just an step ahead for a Pc to emulate an Amiga or C=64, like when you add a Commodore joystick to your laptop to play Amiga games. It isn't bad in that sense.
You've missed the point mate. We don't have any problem with UAE, or Media Centres based on x86 hardware, although prehaps these sections of EAB are not the best place to discuss the latter.

Our problem is some retard (and the guy[s] behind commodoreusa.net being retarded seems to be the general consensus here=) attempting to use the Amiga name to sell overpriced garbage.

Nothing commodoreusa.net are promising is a "step ahead" in any sense of the term, not when you get yourself a non-Amiga branded Media Centre PC for a fraction of the price. I have a feeling that a properly configured Win7 machine will probably do the job much better, and cheaper. WinUAE seems to be the most compatible and accurate version of UAE.

This whole Workbench 5.0 idea reeks of fail.
Old 16 December 2010, 15:35   #43
Merlin
AmiBay MegaMod

The earlier pictures of the prototype show a case the colour of the VIC-20, not the original C64.... that just shows that they know what they are doing...

NOT.

Last edited by Merlin; 16 December 2010 at 17:47.
Old 16 December 2010, 15:53   #44
chiark
Needs a life

Sweet mercy, that is a travesty. Announcing Amiga Workbench 5.0 after all the effort that has gone into making AmigaOS 4.x to make it something real is just downright insulting.

It strikes me as "passing off", and I expect hyperion would probably feel the same.

Really, commdore-usa, just leave it alone. That's awful, and shows no vision or innovation.

Quote:
Commodore® trademark used under exclusive worldwide license by Commodore USA, LLC for its line of AIO (All-In-One) keyboard computers, and is the trademark of Commodore Licensing, BV, registered in the United States and other countries. Amiga® trademark used under exclusive worldwide license by Commodore USA, LLC for its line of AIO (All-In-One) keyboard computers, and is the trademark of Amiga Inc.,
O RLY?

So why are you showing machines that are not "all in one" and labelling them as Amiga 1000, 3000 etc?

Really, truly, please disappear or rename them. They are not Amiga 1000s or 3000s.

Last edited by TCD; 16 December 2010 at 16:19. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Use the edit function.
Old 16 December 2010, 20:45   #45
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

x86 in MY Amigas? Never!

Seriously, this is a disgrace, putting Mini-ITX motherboards in standard, anonymous cases, just to cash on the glorious name "Amiga"...
Old 16 December 2010, 21:36   #46
desiv

I'm actually not too upset about this..
The concept of a PC with a look-and-feel Amiga-ish GUI to launch Commodore emulators...

I don't think that's a bad idea, per se.. My guess is that it will be too expensive to catch on, but we'll see..

And I like the form factors on some of those cases.. Even if they get some things wrong.. I like the Vic-20 coloring..

And yes, I probably wouldn't buy it, but I'm not sure I'm the market. The non-techie who had a Commodore at some time in the past is the market.. No idea if it's viable..

And if you're going to say it's terrible for them to claim any connection to Commodore, because they are just theives and corrupt businessmen...

er.. that sounds like the Commodore I knew.. ;-)

desiv
Old 16 December 2010, 22:41   #47
chiark
Needs a life

For sure, do what they want, but please don't insult all the work that's gone into AmigaOS by calling this Workbench: that's just wrong
Old 16 December 2010, 23:12   #48
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

I don't like what they are doing thinking what they could have done. Projects like the Natami and the clone A that is working, only...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoenfeld View Post
Clone-A development on the Amiga/Chipset side has been finished years ago. We're on the user interface, which is a ground breaking concept in FPGA computers. Don't pry, you won't get any more out of us ;-)

Jens
They could have joined efforts and make that C=64 or that Home Theatre Amiga be a real one suporting it (well, it's just my idea, I represent me, nobody else)

They have choosen the "dark side of the force"... I'm sure they won't be wasting so much money without making a market study of what people wants to buy. Commodore sold millions and only an small % is here. The rest of the people only will see a Commodore and they don't know really what's inside, but they won't care about it.

I'm not in that side, I don't like it and don't want it, but I think they will sell them and perhaps will get benefits.
I feel it's the same thing that when you put a keyrah inside a C=64 to use as a PC keyboard. It is not the real thing

Last edited by Retrofan; 20 December 2010 at 02:57.
Old 16 December 2010, 23:17   #49
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
I'm sure they won't be wasting so much money without making a market study of what people wants to buy.

That was a good one Made my day
Old 16 December 2010, 23:30   #50
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post

That was a good one Made my day
How much they paid for the rights? How much a market research cost?
I don't think they are a couple of guys that say... Hey, why don't we buy Commodore and make a couple of botched jobs with the ideas we will be thinking? ... Although it can seem to you and me.

Last edited by Retrofan; 17 December 2010 at 20:26.
Old 16 December 2010, 23:33   #51
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

I'd sue the guys that did the market study for sure then
Old 16 December 2010, 23:36   #52
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

But it has to be that. Money is money.

BTW Aren't you tired of moving posts from a place to another?

Last edited by Retrofan; 16 December 2010 at 23:43.
Old 16 December 2010, 23:59   #53
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
But it has to be that. Money is money.
There's nothing appealing about those machines except for the form factor. If they don't come up with a killer price point, there's very little chance they stand a chance on a mainstream market. Mind you, since they haven't made anything yet, we're can't tell what they really aim for. If someone told them that an AIO with a Commodore sticker could stand a chance in the current market, they have some serious problems to care about.

Quote:
BTW Aren't you tired of moving posts from a place to another?
Nope. It's not that much work. Merging posts takes up a bit more time though
Old 17 December 2010, 00:14   #54
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
If they don't come up with a killer price point, there's very little chance they stand a chance on a mainstream market.
No. Although it can seem like that, surely the C= appearance is a plus for selling and rising the prizes.
Quote:
Mind you, since they haven't made anything yet, we're can't tell what they really aim for.
I agree. Perhaps if they get benefits they can change their market and come to ours.
Quote:
If someone told them that an AIO with a Commodore sticker could stand a chance in the current market, they have some serious problems to care about.
I don't know. As I've said I believe we are an small % of old C= owners. Very, very small. They were millions, and I think they've made a market research to waste $$$$$ in it.

Last edited by Retrofan; 17 December 2010 at 20:25.
Old 17 December 2010, 10:53   #55
gilgamesh
Linux snob

Their main business is furniture.

I guess the market research must have proven that computers yield more profit than bathroom cabinets. Considering Barry's expressed views on business ethics, I have certain doubts.

They must be saving money for the $30,000,000.- marketing campaign anyway.
Old 17 December 2010, 11:44   #56
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

People now are wasting more money than before in their PC's. And the "different" one (new C=) has to have a place there. See this article published December, 14:

PC Prices Rising: Is the Day of the PC Bargain Over?

"According to a recent Wall Street Journal report, consumers are paying more for computers than they have in years. The retail price of a PC sold in the U.S. in November averaged $615, up 6 percent from last year’s $580. In fact, according to NPD Group research, averages prices have increased in six of the past eight months compared with levels in 2009."

Here's the complete article: http://www.techzone360.com//topics/t...e-pc-barga.htm
Old 17 December 2010, 11:56   #57
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Don't know, but maybe you missed : http://www.commodoregaming.com/pcsho...spx?q=13,242,1
Haven't found the English version, but here's the German PC page : http://www.commodoregaming.com/de-de...Spiele+PC.aspx
Yes, the case is different, but if you don't sell it at a quite low price, people will not really consider getting a niche product just for the fancy look. My two cents for now.
Old 17 December 2010, 12:02   #58
Retro1234
Phone Homer

obviously this commodore USA is rubish
But just to confirm commodore USA and commodore Gaming are two different companies?

Is it confirmed commodore USA is making these C64 cases? as everything else they propose has come from somewhere else and just had there sticker slapped on.
Old 17 December 2010, 12:09   #59
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Don't know, but maybe you missed : http://www.commodoregaming.com/pcsho...spx?q=13,242,1
Haven't found the English version, but here's the German PC page : http://www.commodoregaming.com/de-de...Spiele+PC.aspx
Yes, the case is different, but if you don't sell it at a quite low price, people will not really consider getting a niche product just for the fancy look. My two cents for now.
I think your link confirms that people are willing to pay more: for a Commodore gaming Pc between 1000€ and 4400€. So Pc's are the only electronic product rising prices (and they do 'cause they sell).

Last edited by Retrofan; 17 December 2010 at 20:38.
Old 17 December 2010, 12:14   #60
Retro1234
Phone Homer

The Point is Commodore USA are selling a Computer Called Amiga - You can buy the Case elseWhere and the Mother board Else Where its a total Rip OFF and the then to call Linux -Workbench is the cherry on top this is just Bills way of getting back at hyperion.

Dont forget OS4 is based on 3.0 Source to then call a Linux Distro Workbench 5 is terrible.