English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 01 August 2019, 20:40   #1
Daff
Zone Friend

Number of levels on Alien Breed 3D CD32

Hi,

On the boxscan of Alien Breed 3D, we can read the game have "16 huge game level (more on CD32/CD-ROM)".

http://hol.abime.net/3236/boxscan

Is the CD32 version have really more levels? Or it's bigger levels? Or simply the very same levels, so the text on the boxscan is an error?

Thanks!
Old 01 August 2019, 21:32   #2
Nobby_UK

Most likely an error as none of the reviews claims Xtra Levels.
Old 01 August 2019, 22:27   #3
th4t1guy

I doubt anyone has gone through the torture of playing through all the levels on the CD32 version. You could always use a level code and see if there's anything past the last level.
Old 01 August 2019, 22:33   #4
Amigajay

Quote:
Originally Posted by th4t1guy View Post
I doubt anyone has gone through the torture of playing through all the levels on the CD32 version. You could always use a level code and see if there's anything past the last level.
You are right its just as unplayable as the stock A1200 version, sadly they chose to ignore the Akiko in the CD32 so it didn't even get a little speed boost, Gloom is the only fps that is semi playable on a stock Amiga.
Old 02 August 2019, 02:40   #5
Mrz
Banned

it have 22 levels and a new boss,a big serpent with 3 heads
Old 02 August 2019, 08:16   #6
Daff
Zone Friend

Thanks Mrz.

As I can see, little know (like me) these are really extra levels.
Old 02 August 2019, 09:22   #7
Gzegzolka

Actually I prefer more Alien Breed 3d than Gloom, yes, on real hardware it run slow, but on winuae it can run smoothly. Game is fun, got great level desing for it's limitations, well balanced guns and I like cd music tracks too.

But I have not finished it. Anybody could confirm that cd32 got additional levels? I was sure it got only 16.

Last edited by Gzegzolka; 02 August 2019 at 10:10.
Old 02 August 2019, 12:39   #8
d4rk3lf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gzegzolka View Post
Actually I prefer more Alien Breed 3d than Gloom
I liked it better then Doom.
Doom has better graphics, and fast paced gameplay, which is cool, bot nothing beats the atmosphere on AB3D 1. Actually, I'd prefer it without music, especially without that CD32 track (I just heard it on youtube), it felt too happy.
If there needs to be the music, then it should be some dark, slow, industrial sound track, not music that sounds like intro for the Beverly Hills series.

I think they did spectacular job with soundfx. The heavy breath, walking sounds... etc...
I sooo wish that we have at least 1:1 pixel version, but I've heard that's somewhat technically impossible, because of the way some effects work.

I also didn't finished it, but got pretty far, then my stock A1200, just becomes too slow on some later levels, and I didn't had the patience to go through it.
Well, it's never late.
Old 02 August 2019, 19:15   #9
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

I remember reading on "The One" that Team17 was alread working on Alien Breed 3D before Doom was released. But when they saw Doom, they were really impressed by it (who wasn't back then?), thus scrapping nearly all work they had done so far on AB3D and starting again from scratch, to do something that could rival Doom.

I really wonder what it looked like before they restarted work on it (if there was even something playable at that point)
Old 02 August 2019, 19:22   #10
AmigaHope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigajay View Post
You are right its just as unplayable as the stock A1200 version, sadly they chose to ignore the Akiko in the CD32 so it didn't even get a little speed boost, Gloom is the only fps that is semi playable on a stock Amiga.
I don't think Akiko would give any speed increase over copper chunky, assuming you have the option of coding your engine to output in 12-bit palette entries by default.

The problem with Akiko was that you had to write to it, read the result, and then write the planar output back into AGA memory, all using the CPU.

With copper chunky you just write out 12-bit palette entries into copperlists.