English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 11 October 2023, 12:11   #81
Mick

As owner of keycaps and an A1200 case (though not yet used) that were clearly sold as immune to yellowing this is disappointing to hear but I think the response is worse, if the team simply put out a statement apologising I think most people would understand and continue to appreciate the production of new cases etc but to censor posts and try to rewrite history by stealthily editing their website looks bad and makes you wonder what other problems might be being suppressed.
Old 11 October 2023, 12:50   #82
8bitbubsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
As owner of keycaps and an A1200 case (though not yet used) that were clearly sold as immune to yellowing this is disappointing to hear but I think the response is worse, if the team simply put out a statement apologising I think most people would understand and continue to appreciate the production of new cases etc but to censor posts and try to rewrite history by stealthily editing their website looks bad and makes you wonder what other problems might be being suppressed.
100% agreed!
Old 11 October 2023, 14:29   #83
wiz12

I recently bought two standard original/white UK keycap sets and have noticed that on the TAB key with both sets, there's a noticeable blotch in the centre of the key, anyone else notice this?
Old 11 October 2023, 16:34   #84
Dunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiz12 View Post
I recently bought two standard original/white UK keycap sets and have noticed that on the TAB key with both sets, there's a noticeable blotch in the centre of the key, anyone else notice this?
If I have the light just right and I bob down so I'm looking from a really shallow angle then... yeah, a round patch in the centre of the key but damn it's hard to spot.
Old 11 October 2023, 17:56   #85
wiz12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
If I have the light just right and I bob down so I'm looking from a really shallow angle then... yeah, a round patch in the centre of the key but damn it's hard to spot.

Yeah, it's really only noticeable at a certain light and angle but it's only this key that has this oddity and all other keys are fine and this wasn't the case in previous batches.
Old 20 December 2023, 14:39   #86
Cloudane

Interesting reading.

I'm not sure if my A1200 case has yellowed slightly or not, I keep thinking maybe a little but if so, so little that I'm not sure if it's my mind or eyes playing tricks on me.

However my original A1200 colour keys just arrived and I can say that they're considerably whiter than the case. They're extremely white. Honestly the case seems closer to the slight cream colour (whiter than the A500 but still a slight cream) whilst the keys are just absolute pure white so I don't know if the case has yellowed a bit or what. It does look a bit strange having such white keys with a less-white case.
Old 20 December 2023, 15:03   #87
Dunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudane View Post
Interesting reading.

I'm not sure if my A1200 case has yellowed slightly or not, I keep thinking maybe a little but if so, so little that I'm not sure if it's my mind or eyes playing tricks on me.

However my original A1200 colour keys just arrived and I can say that they're considerably whiter than the case. They're extremely white. Honestly the case seems closer to the slight cream colour (whiter than the A500 but still a slight cream) whilst the keys are just absolute pure white so I don't know if the case has yellowed a bit or what. It does look a bit strange having such white keys with a less-white case.
I re-cased my A1200 in the same manner very recently and the keys are indeed whiter than the case, visibly so. And I bought them at the same time so they've not had time to yellow
Old 20 December 2023, 15:06   #88
Cloudane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
I re-cased my A1200 in the same manner very recently and the keys are indeed whiter than the case, visibly so. And I bought them at the same time so they've not had time to yellow
That's reassuring, thanks - if it's normal then I'm happy enough Only had me wondering since it's a few years apart for me.

I keep a black dust cover on so hopefully it'll be well protected for a while.
Old 20 December 2023, 15:15   #89
derSammler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudane View Post
That is normal and how it was with the original as well.

Many, many years ago, when Petro found a warehouse of NOS A1200 cases and keyboards, I got one of each. See the attached image. This is an original A1200 case with keyboard, NOS, not yellowed. The case is not as white as the keys. It never was.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PB121211.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	210.0 KB
ID:	81095   Click image for larger version

Name:	PA301208_web.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	160.0 KB
ID:	81096  
Old 20 December 2023, 15:30   #90
Cloudane

Quote:
Originally Posted by derSammler View Post
That is normal and how it was with the original as well.

Many, many years ago, when Petro found a warehouse of NOS A1200 cases and keyboards, I got one of each. See the attached image. This is an original A1200 case with keyboard, NOS, not yellowed. The case is not as white as the keys. It never was.
Interesting, thanks for sharing!

Just shows how perception in our memories can shift, and of course at the time we'll have been too excited by the new Amiga to scrutinise the slight difference in white between the keys and case

I wanted it to look like day 1 and it does so I'm happy. Hopefully this yellowing won't happen any time soon in the British climate. Also it's going to look a lot better than the current yellow keys on Escom coloured case.

(Well, there's a smaller font for the letter keys and bolder arrow keys but I don't mind TBH as you wouldn't know if you didn't sit them side by side - and they probably varied over the revisions anyway)

---
As to the original subject, "will never yellow" WAS a bit of a bold claim but it sounds like it's been corrected in the latest marketing stuff. It's common anyway, I remember claims that our conservatory roof would last forever when actually they meant around 30 years (on the assumption I guess that most would move or knock it down by then) as the UPVC they used is rated for around that long and is now cracking. Things just age.
But it sounds like what has happened in the few cases, is more of a "common sense" thing... yeah they won't yellow as readily as the originals but shove it on your windowsill and you're asking for trouble. I have one-way film on my windows which doubles as UV filtering as I got tired of everything I put anywhere the window near either fading, going brittle or discolouring.

Last edited by Cloudane; 20 December 2023 at 16:06.
Old 21 December 2023, 03:22   #91
Cloudane

All fitted..looks great. *Part* of the difference is an optical illusion from the presence of the yellowed keys. Once all replaced it looks fab.