English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > Games images which need to be WHDified

Old 31 May 2019, 23:06   #1
NeoHippie2016
Freak

So many games...

...& demos, who needed an whdl installer, too! Sad, that only 4 (?) guys left, who "creates" installers. And only 1 man, who create whdl Generics... i wish, i can help and understand programming!
Old 01 June 2019, 04:28   #2
chip

Games world is not the only case who needs people with knowledge

We must understand that "our" hobby is a high-specialized one

Just for example, i love Amiga music

But people who create (or fix) Eaglereplayers ?

Only Don Adan existed, but, from what i know, it's not more in activity

And now ?

I don't know, for example there are replayers who need fix

Delta Music 2.0 lost the last two seconds of playback (for sure, checked many times)

And a lot of other re-players should be improved (Music Assembler doesn't stop song)

Who is interested in those ?

Again, as i already told, it's difficult to find people who have the right motivation

It needs high skills and a precise goal
Old 01 June 2019, 16:47   #3
slaapliedje

If there was source code available, these things could be picked up again and patched. Too many pieces of software (especially for old systems) are left in briken states because the company moved on or went away entirely. This is why I am ultimately a big supporter of open source.
There have been several projects made open source via donations in the Atari ST world, wonder if we could do the same for the Amiga.
Old 01 June 2019, 19:07   #4
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoHippie2016 View Post
...& demos, who needed an whdl installer, too! Sad, that only 4 (?) guys left, who "creates" installers. And only 1 man, who create whdl Generics... i wish, i can help and understand programming!
Every coder started at the same place you are now.

You can become a coder yourself but for that to happen you need to:
1) start
2) continue even upon failure

This is your decision to make but in any case not being a coder is not a fatality, it is a choice.
Old 02 June 2019, 17:32   #5
lordofchaos
TinkerTailorContentMaker

I recon we've been spoiled rotten with the amount of games and demos that are now accessible through WHDLoad along with it's authors.
Old 05 June 2019, 21:52   #6
NeoHippie2016
Freak

Thank you guys for your opinions. You are right. Start with it and continue. Hhm, i think, it is a good way to ask Stingray, Richard Löwenstein, or other guys, how they start their programming career and which Books or programmes are useful for it!
Old 05 June 2019, 21:58   #7
jotd
This cat is no more

Well, as lost people started hacking/coding more than 20/25 years ago, it will take quite a while to catch up if you start today

But there are probably simpler tasks to perform and codetapper has published some tutorials. Plus a lot of source code is there to analyze. Personally I always publish mine.
Old 06 June 2019, 00:50   #8
quantum8

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaapliedje View Post
If there was source code available, these things could be picked up again and patched. Too many pieces of software (especially for old systems) are left in briken states because the company moved on or went away entirely. This is why I am ultimately a big supporter of open source.
There have been several projects made open source via donations in the Atari ST world, wonder if we could do the same for the Amiga.

Imagine if open source was the first dominant idea compared to closed source. We'd be in a completely different world now.

I'm thankful for all these preservation societies that have popped up. It at least allows us to experience it all over again, or for the first time.
Old 07 June 2019, 02:47   #9
majestyx

I simply wish I had the spare time. I truly don't know how people find the time to do so much for their fellow collectors, and especially at no charge. But even if I hit the Mega Millions or Powerball jackpot and didn't have to work again, I'd likely still never get done all the things I'd like to. My hobbies aren't all that diverse, but they do take up so much of my free time that there truly aren't enough hours in a day. Also a reason I barely ever get to post here or on any other forums that pique my interest.

And it is kinda sad that there are so few people left who know how to do this but as has been mentioned, this is a highly specialized hobby so it's not surprising that that is the case. Here's hoping one day I'll have the opportunity to devote more time to this and my other hobbies.
Old 29 June 2019, 04:18   #10
Hewitson

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantum8 View Post
Imagine if open source was the first dominant idea compared to closed source. We'd be in a completely different world now.
It could have happened.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeli...ource_software