English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 14 November 2019, 12:22   #21
Jeff_HxC2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarmon View Post
@Jeff_HxC2001

Thanks for that visual example - it really helps my understanding, very useful!

I will try your suggestion to see if it makes a difference.

Don't rotate too much the tracks too because i suspect that the index position detection may be a part of the protection. (this is a pure speculation currently)
Old 14 November 2019, 12:25   #22
lesta_smsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_HxC2001 View Post
Image fixed .

No i don't think so .
This the job of the floppy read/writer to deal with the write splices.
Possible database potential to specify manual configs for games as people start to use GW...
Old 15 November 2019, 00:38   #23
solarmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_HxC2001 View Post
You can try to rotate the image with hxc tool to move a little bit the sectors from the index signal/bad write splice. (Track analyzer -> Edit tools -> Shift Tracks with -10, then export to scp). If the write splice position is really the issue, this will get around the issue ...
So I tried this trick and on the first attempt of shifting the tracks by -10, Panza loaded to the title screen!

This was on an A500 rev 6A with Kickstart 1.3, which wasn't working before.
Old 15 November 2019, 00:58   #24
lesta_smsc

I'll try it too... I have both A500 and A600.

I've got my STM32 but the programmer hasn't come through. Wondering if there is a DFU method on these... failing that good old serial port and hard wire it if possible.
Old 15 November 2019, 06:54   #25
lesta_smsc

So after everything going seemingly well. I've not had joy writing a .IPF

I will try and make an SCP of my Flashback disks and see if they read on WinUAE.

Which IPF could you write and compare in using A600 at present.
Old 15 November 2019, 08:55   #26
solarmon

What bit are you failing at, or what issues are you having?

The A600 is an ECS machine so, in theory, an OCS/ECS game should work - but we know it depends on your kickstart and the game. I know that Panza definitely works on the A600 with kickstart 2.0 and 1mb chip ram.

Do you have a Hotel to test with and compare against? Convert the IPF to HFE v3 or ADF and try that in the Gotek to check that the game works on your A600
Old 15 November 2019, 14:28   #27
lesta_smsc

Just realised Flashback can be copied via X-COPY lol... I have the original disks but not the manual so I can't get past copy protection lol. The irony.

I'll try Panza later today... So you converted IPF to SCP using HxC and no additional settings? Just so I can verify that it is writing correctly. I'll use the image you linked to.
Old 15 November 2019, 14:44   #28
solarmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesta_smsc View Post
Just realised Flashback can be copied via X-COPY lol... I have the original disks but not the manual so I can't get past copy protection lol. The irony.

I'll try Panza later today... So you converted IPF to SCP using HxC and no additional settings? Just so I can verify that it is writing correctly. I'll use the image you linked to.
Flashback manual:

http://hol.abime.net/568/manual

For Panza, you need to do the track shift trick as mentioned above. I used -10 (don't forget to click the 'Shift Tracks' button!) as suggested by Jeff. You need to do this before you convert the IPF to SCP.
Old 15 November 2019, 16:16   #29
lesta_smsc

Ah ok. So the track shift is to the IPF. When trying to load the IPF in HxC it said unable to load image. Is this normal?
Old 15 November 2019, 17:50   #30
solarmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesta_smsc View Post
Ah ok. So the track shift is to the IPF. When trying to load the IPF in HxC it said unable to load image. Is this normal?
You need the 32-bit CAPSImg.dll file from:

http://www.softpres.org/_media/files...ad&cache=cache

The file is located in the zip file at:

ipflib42_w32\ipflib42_w32\CAPSImg.dll

Copy this to where your HxC Floppy Emulator software directory is.
Old 15 November 2019, 17:53   #31
lesta_smsc

Could this be linked to making incorrect SCP? It even converted .zip to .SCP lol

Update: Thanks for the link @solarmon - worked perfectly to enable me to view the IPF! Great tool @Jeff_HxC2001 - very easy to use.

Struggling with my Overdrive. I tried to write an IPF from that website solarmon posted, tried it with -10 (I know this is not exact science but I thought since success with this, might as well). Anyhow, each time the SCP written disk boots it will cause the Amiga to reboot. If I put my original in, it goes straight through to the splash screen without any hiccups. Even the SCP created using GW of my original Overdrive disk is causing the same issue when written back to disk Any ideas?

@Jeff_HxC2001 - any option to compare disk images side my side and highlight the differences?

Last edited by lesta_smsc; 16 November 2019 at 03:24.
Old 16 November 2019, 05:27   #32
lesta_smsc

@kaffer - Just noticed that if I leave the Blue Pill powered on for a long period of time it will start to write the disk as normal but in the Amiga it will show as "DF0:???"

Powering the Blue Pill off and then on again seems to resolve this issue. Is there a buffer or some memory that is being filled or corrupted which is not allowing the write to occur correctly?
Old 16 November 2019, 09:59   #33
solarmon

I suggest you join the Facebook Greaseweazle group and post your issues there - Keir is very responsive and active on there.

You could always use Greaseweazle to read back the disk and compare it with the image used to write it.

I'll try Overdrive. What is your Amiga machine and kickstart?
Old 16 November 2019, 11:28   #34
solarmon

I just tried Overdrive:

OVERDRIVE (1993)(Team 17)[1149]
http://archive.org/download/Commodor...%5B1149%5D.zip

Without modification, I just get stuck at a blank/black screen. However, with a -10 track shift it was loading OK. This is on an Amiga 500 with Kickstart 1.3.

Looking at the track view of both Overdrive disk seems to a bit weird as I associate the green areas as data, but you can see that the green area is only on the outside of the floppy disk view:

Maybe it is just my lack of understanding on how to read and interpret it at the moment.

Also, Overdrive is strange in that it asks for Disk 2 to be put in to DF1, and not DF0 as expected!
Old 16 November 2019, 11:42   #35
lesta_smsc

Quote:
I suggest you join the Facebook Greaseweazle group and post your issues there - Keir is very responsive and active on there.

You could always use Greaseweazle to read back the disk and compare it with the image used to write it.

I'll try Overdrive. What is your Amiga machine and kickstart?
I don't have Facebook and prefer to avoid it.

I'm currently using an Amiga A600. KS 2.0 with 1MB additional chip RAM so a total of 2MB.

Overdrive boots to an initial black screen followed by changes in brightness of power LED and then Amiga reboots to guru meditation screen.

I've tried the track changes with no success. I'm actually using a NOS SONY MPF920 as my PC drive.

I suppose the only issue could be the length of my USB cable to the device. I'm using the one I use for my phone which allows for fast charge but it is 2M! It has worked fine to flash and ROM successfully including update to GW v0.6

Can you try Mortal Kombat? I get to Amiga screen followed by "Error" being displayed under the Amiga logo.

Finally, I am using brand new DS DD and I am not formatting the disks because they are being written with flux so did not think they would need to be formatted.

That's my set up. Can you please tell me your exact set up?

(Note: WinUAE works correctly with my current set using IPF)
Old 16 November 2019, 11:45   #36
lesta_smsc

Quote:
I just tried Overdrive:

OVERDRIVE (1993)(Team 17)[1149]
http://archive.org/download/Commodor...%5B1149%5D.zip

Without modification, I just get stuck at a blank/black screen. However, with a -10 track shift it was loading OK. This is on an Amiga 500 with Kickstart 1.3.

Looking at the track view of both Overdrive disk seems to a bit weird as I associate the green areas as data, but you can see that the green area is only on the outside of the floppy disk view:

Maybe it is just my lack of understanding on how to read and interpret it at the moment.

Also, Overdrive is strange in that it asks for Disk 2 to be put in to DF1, and not DF0 as expected!
Are you able to upload a zip of the Overdrive in SCP format to test in case I'm not generating the SCP correctly for some reason?
Old 16 November 2019, 14:15   #37
solarmon

Added to The Zone:

http://eab.abime.net/zone/Overdrive%...minus%2010.zip
Old 16 November 2019, 16:07   #38
lesta_smsc

Quote:
Thank you! So your version worked fine... I realised the problem. Once you have written the shift tracks you want, you have to click the button itself to implement the change! I was not pressing on that and so there was no shift taking place at all!

Glad it's working. Still have the issue with DF0:??? error sometimes which requires power cycle of the GW.

Also Mortal Kombat now works too using the "-10" - although looking at the disk, possibly "-5" may also work. What I don't understand is why my own SCP that I generated from the original disk is still not writing back correctly... In fact, the SCP of my original Overdrive is 10MB or so larger! The zip is also nearly 14MB so something may not be quite right...

Last edited by lesta_smsc; 16 November 2019 at 16:21.
Old 16 November 2019, 17:17   #39
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Ok, let me tell you : don't start from an IPF. This because all the instructions for writing are ignored.

Start from a heavy kryo dump instead.

Next, you'll understand too why analysing datas dumped is mandatory. Blind dumping is useless.
Old 16 November 2019, 17:50   #40
solarmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
Ok, let me tell you : don't start from an IPF. This because all the instructions for writing are ignored.

Start from a heavy kryo dump instead.

Next, you'll understand too why analysing datas dumped is mandatory. Blind dumping is useless.
Excuse my ignorance - but why shouldn't an IPF be used? I thought the whole point of an IPF (assuming it is an official one) is that it is for archiving with a view of writing back to disk - as described at:

http://www.softpres.org/glossary:ipf

Without any prior experience with archiving and restoring, then what you have just said, to me, does not compute!