English Amiga Board


Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Amiga Forever

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 23 October 2019, 09:03   #1
blade002
Zone Friend
blade002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Australia
Age: 45
Posts: 2,513
Kickstart Rom Files???

I am setting up (again) ClassicWB on my CF-Card and in the process I need the Kickstart Rom files to place as we all know in Devs. I've searched far and wide but I am getting nothing except a mention of Amiga Forever having the files and although I have Amiga Forever installed on the PC I have gone though ALL the directories only to find RTB files of said Kickstarts.

I am setting up the install through WinUae to use on my real A1200 so can someone PLEASE point me in the right direction before the nut in my head rolls out to escape this situation?!

Cheers..
blade002 is offline  
Old 23 October 2019, 09:27   #2
dalek
Registered User

 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: NSW/Australia
Posts: 301
I'm guessing you are looking for the .rtb files?: http://aminet.net/package/util/boot/skick346
dalek is offline  
Old 23 October 2019, 09:56   #3
thomas
Registered User
thomas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Germany
Posts: 5,879
C:\Users\Public\Documents\Amiga Files\Shared\rom\
thomas is offline  
Old 23 October 2019, 16:31   #4
blade002
Zone Friend
blade002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Australia
Age: 45
Posts: 2,513
Excellent, all sorted! thank you both!!
blade002 is offline  
Old 24 October 2019, 22:47   #5
Hewitson
Registered User
Hewitson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Age: 37
Posts: 3,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
C:\Users\Public\Documents\Amiga Files\Shared\rom\
Wow. Could they have made them any more difficult to find? Why store them in a users home directory?
Hewitson is offline  
Old 25 October 2019, 12:40   #6
Daedalus
Registered User

Daedalus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Dublin, then Glasgow
Posts: 4,352
Funny enough, that's almost exactly where I have always put my ROMs on my Windows machine when setting up WinUAE (I've never installed Amiga Forever). It makes a lot of sense to me, and others too apparently. Where else would you put them?
Daedalus is offline  
Old 25 October 2019, 13:06   #7
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

malko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: CH
Posts: 2,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
Funny enough, that's almost exactly where I have always put my ROMs on my Windows machine when setting up WinUAE (I've never installed Amiga Forever). It makes a lot of sense to me, and others too apparently. Where else would you put them?
What about a "ROMs" subfolder where the main executable (WinUAE) is stored ? Sounds more logical to me.
malko is offline  
Old 25 October 2019, 13:48   #8
DamienD
Global Moderator

DamienD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: London / Sydney
Age: 43
Posts: 15,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by malko View Post
What about a "ROMs" subfolder where the main executable (WinUAE) is stored ? Sounds more logical to me.
Yup, that's what I do

DamienD is online now  
Old 25 October 2019, 13:59   #9
Daedalus
Registered User

Daedalus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Dublin, then Glasgow
Posts: 4,352
Yeah, the default location works fine for lots of people I guess, but with ROMs, ADFs, Hardfiles and all the other files you might want to regularly interact with stored in Program Files you've got some permissions stuff to consider. DamienD's location in the root of C sorts that out somewhat, but it's still a funky location permissions-wise, particularly if you want easy access to all those files. Storing them in a public folder makes accessing them from other user accounts or over the network a lot simpler, along with making backups. And it makes sharing such files with different emulators less messy too.
Daedalus is offline  
Old 25 October 2019, 14:06   #10
DamienD
Global Moderator

DamienD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: London / Sydney
Age: 43
Posts: 15,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
Yeah, the default location works fine for lots of people I guess, but with ROMs, ADFs, Hardfiles and all the other files you might want to regularly interact with stored in Program Files you've got some permissions stuff to consider. DamienD's location in the root of C sorts that out somewhat, but it's still a funky location permissions-wise, particularly if you want easy access to all those files. Storing them in a public folder makes accessing them from other user accounts or over the network a lot simpler, along with making backups. And it makes sharing such files with different emulators less messy too.
Having everything stored under "C:\WinUAE" works perfectly for me.

In "Paths" I have the following set:



Also, as all my configs have the following set for KS ROMs / disk based games / hard drive games:
kickstart_rom_file=.\ROMs\KS ROM v1.2 (A500,A1000,A2000) rev 33.180 (256k).rom

floppy0=.\Games\Dr. Fruit\Dr. Fruit (1987)(Softgang)[t+1 ross].adf

hardfile2=rw,DH0:.\Games\Klondike Deluxe v3.0 AGA\Klondike Deluxe v3.0 AGA.hdf,32,1,2,512,0,,uae
uaehf0=hdf,rw,DH0:.\\Games\\Klondike Deluxe v3.0 AGA\\Klondike Deluxe v3.0 AGA.hdf,32,1,2,512,0,,uae
This means I can move "C:\WinUAE" anywhere e.g. "D:\WinUAE" or a USB stick; or even rename the directory to say "C:\Amiga" and everything still works
DamienD is online now  
Old 25 October 2019, 14:18   #11
Daedalus
Registered User

Daedalus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Dublin, then Glasgow
Posts: 4,352
Yeah, I'm sure it works for plenty of people, otherwise it wouldn't be the default setup - I guess my use case is a little different and so the way I (and Amiga Forever) do it makes more sense to me. I'm not fond of software populating the root of a drive, or hunting through many different locations to find files I use regularly. But since the machines I have emulators on are all different specs, their UAE configs are different too, so it's just the software side that needs to sync between them. And having them easily accessible in a public UAE folder that can be accessed across the network (including to/from actual Amigas as well as Linux PCs) makes keeping everything up-to-date easier.
Daedalus is offline  
Old 26 October 2019, 00:53   #12
Hewitson
Registered User
Hewitson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Age: 37
Posts: 3,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
Funny enough, that's almost exactly where I have always put my ROMs on my Windows machine when setting up WinUAE (I've never installed Amiga Forever). It makes a lot of sense to me, and others too apparently. Where else would you put them?
I'd put them somewhere like "c:\emulation\amiga\roms".

Not only is it a million times easier to find, it won't be lost if you decide to do an OS reinstall.
Hewitson is offline  
Old 29 October 2019, 15:52   #13
Daedalus
Registered User

Daedalus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Dublin, then Glasgow
Posts: 4,352
Hardly any easier, except that you know where you put them. If you want it easier to find, then the logical thing would be to follow the OS-provided locations - My Documents\Emulation\Amiga\ROMs makes more sense than hiding them away somewhere outside the normal userspace locations.
Daedalus is offline  
Old 29 October 2019, 17:16   #14
idrougge
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 3,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
I'd put them somewhere like "c:\emulation\amiga\roms".

Not only is it a million times easier to find, it won't be lost if you decide to do an OS reinstall.
Does Windows remove your user directory or your documents if you reinstall*?

* Though I can't understand why you would reinstall the same operating system.
idrougge is offline  
Old 29 October 2019, 18:17   #15
Daedalus
Registered User

Daedalus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Dublin, then Glasgow
Posts: 4,352
No, it doesn't, unless you wipe the drive as part of the install (in which case files randomly scattered in the C:\ tree will be gone anyway).
Daedalus is offline  
Old 30 October 2019, 09:43   #16
Hewitson
Registered User
Hewitson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Age: 37
Posts: 3,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
Hardly any easier, except that you know where you put them. If you want it easier to find, then the logical thing would be to follow the OS-provided locations - My Documents\Emulation\Amiga\ROMs makes more sense than hiding them away somewhere outside the normal userspace locations.
I'm sorry, but I couldn't disagree more. Whoever thought of the "My Documents" folder is the lamest person on the planet in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge
Does Windows remove your user directory or your documents if you reinstall*?
No it doesn't, but if you do require a reinstall, there's every chance that the problems are located within that folder. Not removing it would potentially lead to a pointless reinstallation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge
* Though I can't understand why you would reinstall the same operating system.
Well me either, unless it's Windows because it shits itself all the time.
Hewitson is offline  
Old 30 October 2019, 10:07   #17
blade002
Zone Friend
blade002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Australia
Age: 45
Posts: 2,513
It's nice to know I wasn't going mental trying to find the Rom files after the subsequent discussion
blade002 is offline  
Old 30 October 2019, 10:09   #18
davethemackem
Registered User

 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: UK
Posts: 4
I keep mine in OneDrive so even if the PC is completely trashed in a rebuild or other disaster you always have the files stored safely
davethemackem is offline  
Old 30 October 2019, 10:15   #19
blade002
Zone Friend
blade002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Australia
Age: 45
Posts: 2,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by davethemackem View Post
I keep mine in OneDrive so even if the PC is completely trashed in a rebuild or other disaster you always have the files stored safely

I'll get onto that, I'll also put them on a USB Stick and label it Amiga along with some of the newer games I've bought for the Amiga
blade002 is offline  
Old 30 October 2019, 11:27   #20
Daedalus
Registered User

Daedalus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Dublin, then Glasgow
Posts: 4,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
I'm sorry, but I couldn't disagree more. Whoever thought of the "My Documents" folder is the lamest person on the planet in my opinion.
Bizarre, but at least you acknowledge that it's just your opinion. Both macOS and all the mainstream Linux distros also have a concept of a home directory for user files, so an awful lot of people think otherwise.

Quote:
No it doesn't, but if you do require a reinstall, there's every chance that the problems are located within that folder. Not removing it would potentially lead to a pointless reinstallation.
How? Storing program or config files in the documents directory is asking for trouble.

Quote:
Well me either, unless it's Windows because it shits itself all the time.
Sounds like user error. Back in the days of XP and before, then a reinstallation was considered preventative maintenance, but these days you have to seriously balls it up yourself to need such regular reinstallations that it affects your decision on where and how to store your files.
Daedalus is offline  
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[Pre-Orders] Kipper2K Dual-Rom / Quad-Rom - hold reset to switch Kickstart rom boards solidcore MarketPlace 25 30 November 2019 21:59
Making .rom files out of .143 files Diguelo Hardware mods 2 20 May 2019 01:05
[Pre-Orders] Kipper2K Dual-Rom / Quad-Rom - hold reset to switch Kickstart rom boards solidcore support.Hardware 0 08 February 2019 21:14
CD32 kickstart rom & extended rom ben111g Amiga scene 1 24 February 2007 14:56
Kickstart Rom files (not looking for) Magno Boots Retrogaming General Discussion 5 04 June 2006 18:42

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 21:19.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Page generated in 0.09353 seconds with 13 queries