English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - Technical

Old 12 August 2019, 12:18   #21
Dunny

Yes, but also to be fair it's being loudly touted (by its fans, not by the devs) as a viable 68k replacement for OS3.1 too. But it's way too bloated and doesn't run well outside of WinUAE's fastest possible modes, and only a Vampire-equipped Amiga can run it in hardware.
Old 22 November 2019, 02:13   #22
Azvareth

watching this thread... And this might be a long input...

So... Some thinks that comparing Amiga from mid-late 90's could be compared to or better then todays systems? Mac, Linux, Windows does not matter...

I myself is in the start of creating my own permanent WinUAE station. Just the SYS: drive is with bare minimum requirements for a somewhat modern look and feel is 171 MB (most parts Libraries and resources). With no useful applications to do anything yet.

My Amiga 500 at the time had a 30MB HD that did cost a fortune (half of the Amiga price)

So yes, it is way lower specs than the "real" modern OS'es have, but I am pretty sure if I was to turn down all settings to be speed accurate, it would take an hour or so to boot it... (I might test it to see).

and about Aros, I am not sure but I do beleive there is barebone distros without theming and the more flavoured one is called Icaros and then there is some other distro as well (Broadway perhaps?) with theming, I do not think it is "built" in just as little as Magellan is.

Actually (in my opinion) what the different Amiga teams should do, where to do a joint effort to target 2 or 3 ARM based SoC computer systems. Like Raspberry pi for the lowend systems and some other higher systems for "higher" end Amigas. SoC have just as Amigas had everything built into one system / box and some parts could be expanded further.

so one Raspberry pi for like 40 $?, one SD card working like AmigaROM with legal recompiled roms for that system, upto 40$? and then a nice Amiga like casing? That is cheap...

other good things would be that all the different teams, Aros, Classic, Morph and if there is anyone left with Amithlon would work on the same codebase and architecture with only smaller differences for the said systems.

There will not be any true fast "real" Amiga anyways so why not do the next best thing? But if Amiga is to have a new life, it must be way cheaper then one A4000 or those X#### or vampire standalone systems...

Aros was (and is) a good solution but have the same problem that any old OS has, no support for newer hardware (not the devs fault) because those who makes those devices will not support an obscure platform, so I vote for a more generic hardware solution that is the same for the most users.

Ok, sorry for bother you, but I felt the urge to write something...
Old 22 November 2019, 10:10   #23
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

A "canada dry" like Amiga :
https://www.wincustomize.com/explore/windowblinds/5200
Old 23 November 2019, 02:56   #24
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
I wouldn't say AROS is like 3.1 at all. AROS is big, bloated and slow. Everything that WB 3.1 isn't.
I do not agree, AROS starts in a few seconds, AROS can be streamlined is not very different from AmigaOS.

JanusUAE + WHD MENU: Test Video

Test Video: File Associations on Dopus4

Test Video: File Workbench Associations and OWB Use
Old 23 November 2019, 13:18   #25
Dunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
I do not agree, AROS starts in a few seconds, AROS can be streamlined is not very different from AmigaOS.
When run on a stock A1200, AROS is slower than a very slow thing. I'd not even want to try it on an A500, if it's even possible.
Old 23 November 2019, 17:20   #26
Azvareth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
When run on a stock A1200, AROS is slower than a very slow thing. I'd not even want to try it on an A500, if it's even possible.

I think I need to come to AROS defence a bit...

What I understand is that AROS is not mainly for MC68K CPU's so when the developers started this project, they where aiming for the x86 architecture and if I understand it even more correctly, they wrote the most parts in C.

Which I do not beleive is the case with real AOS for MC68K?

Just as an comparision there exists real OS's for X86 written in Assembler: MenuetOS comes on a floppy disk? do not ask me how and I do not know how good it is.

The point is if AROS chosed to go ASM way, The whole system could have been much faster and smaller, but I am pretty sure they would not have come as far as they have, and even more: they where just like Amiga, likely to be in a dead end with no easy possibility to transfeer it to some other architecture, AROS have at least find it's way back to MC68K and if I am informed correctly even ARM.

That is nothing I have seen (yet) with a real AmigaOS+Rom, AROS is the closest thing to that what I have seen.

It might be slow on MC68K today, but it might not be the case in the furure?

And lastly, I am no expert claiming to know everything, my answer is based on my knowledge an observations of the world and could therefor be flawed.

//Thank you