English Amiga Board


Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - Gaming

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 11 June 2019, 00:30   #41
jmmijo
Junior Member
jmmijo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: PDX
Age: 57
Posts: 2,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
While I have most of those games, ask me how many of them I play...
Indeed
jmmijo is offline  
Old 21 June 2019, 15:26   #42
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Anubis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Raking Woods...
Age: 47
Posts: 2,849
Rebel Galaxy is new freeebee @ Epic Store.

So far I have 14 games there, and only spent some money on one of them, not for me, but for my son. (Fortnite)

Funny - next free game will be 'Last day of June', that will be giveaway at end of June.
Anubis is offline  
Old 21 June 2019, 15:48   #43
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

gimbal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Spijkenisse/Netherlands
Age: 38
Posts: 3,469
My dude, we have a thread dedicated to free stuffs. This is anarchy.
gimbal is offline  
Old 21 June 2019, 20:45   #44
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Anubis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Raking Woods...
Age: 47
Posts: 2,849
But that thread is not EPIC, as this one...

Sure... ask for moderation badge and move shit around...
Anubis is offline  
Old 21 June 2019, 20:59   #45
jmmijo
Junior Member
jmmijo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: PDX
Age: 57
Posts: 2,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
But that thread is not EPIC, as this one...

Sure... ask for moderation badge and move shit around...
Really you can post in that Free Games thread any Free games on the EPIC store too, who am I to say that if somebody wants to purchase or use that store front that they can not
jmmijo is offline  
Old 03 October 2019, 22:43   #46
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

gimbal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Spijkenisse/Netherlands
Age: 38
Posts: 3,469
I sold my soul to the devil If I had to wait for Untitled Goose Game to appear in Steam I would have had to wait until the end of 2020 and I really wanted that game right now... and it was only 11 euros... and I had something in my eye... and I wasn't feeling very well... and somebody distracted me...

I'll say this for the Epic store: they have way better download servers than Steam does. Or maybe it's because they're less heavily stressed still, but in any case: downloads go really fast
gimbal is offline  
Old 03 October 2019, 22:56   #47
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Anubis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Raking Woods...
Age: 47
Posts: 2,849
You almost make it sound like that goose game is big download...
Anubis is offline  
Old 04 October 2019, 00:05   #48
jmmijo
Junior Member
jmmijo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: PDX
Age: 57
Posts: 2,372
Nooooooo, I guess I will be the ONLY one not ever using the Epic Game Store
jmmijo is offline  
Old 04 October 2019, 05:14   #49
005AGIMA
Re-loading. Please wait.

005AGIMA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Perth, Australia & England
Age: 45
Posts: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmijo View Post
Nooooooo, I guess I will be the ONLY one not ever using the Epic Game Store
Why NOT use them?

It's not a cult. Steam wont disown you. You can actually use BOTH :O

It's like saying "I will only buy my shoes from footlocker, no where else!"

It's a "shop" (online). That's all it is.

The world is a funny place. People HATE a corporation having a monopoly. ...but they also resist change, and distrust newcomers to a market.

Steam was a monopoly. And thank GOG for competition.
005AGIMA is offline  
Old 04 October 2019, 05:20   #50
jmmijo
Junior Member
jmmijo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: PDX
Age: 57
Posts: 2,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by 005AGIMA View Post
Why NOT use them?

It's not a cult. Steam wont disown you. You can actually use BOTH :O

It's like saying "I will only buy my shoes from footlocker, no where else!"

It's a "shop" (online). That's all it is.

The world is a funny place. People HATE a corporation having a monopoly. ...but they also resist change, and distrust newcomers to a market.

Steam was a monopoly. And thank GOG for competition.
You have NOT seen my Steam Library then have you my young Padawan

Logon to Steam and then view my profile, BigBodZod

As for monopolies, yes they can indeed cause and do cause anti-consumer practices, however it is nice to ONLY have to use one launcher and not a dozen of them.

I don't use Origin either and would rather not have to use Uplay.

As for the Epic Game Store, I don't hate the store in general nor even Epic Games, I hate EXCLUSIVITY, even if it's only for 6 ~ 12 months, that IS anti-consumer right there.

If you can't compete with Valve/Steam buy presenting feature/features on you store front then you have no business selling games.
jmmijo is offline  
Old 04 October 2019, 05:40   #51
005AGIMA
Re-loading. Please wait.

005AGIMA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Perth, Australia & England
Age: 45
Posts: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmijo View Post
You have NOT seen my Steam Library then have you my young Padawan

Logon to Steam and then view my profile, BigBodZod

As for monopolies, yes they can indeed cause and do cause anti-consumer practices, however it is nice to ONLY have to use one launcher and not a dozen of them.

I don't use Origin either and would rather not have to use Uplay.

As for the Epic Game Store, I don't hate the store in general nor even Epic Games, I hate EXCLUSIVITY, even if it's only for 6 ~ 12 months, that IS anti-consumer right there.

If you can't compete with Valve/Steam buy presenting feature/features on you store front then you have no business selling games.
I can see your point of view re not wanting multiple launchers. I was the same until I came to the realization that it's just a store front.

But yes, like you, I hate "exclusives" and this will become more problematic IF gaming goes "streaming services" as the industry seems to want it to. in fact, it will be TERRIBLE.

But again, I like to step back and think about the problem. Is it "new?" No. When we brought games from physical stores, some systems/games were NOT available everywhere, and you had to go to a specific store to get them.

The big one I recall was a funny one.

I worked for GAME in the UK at the time.

...but I wanted the ATARI Jaguar. (yes...yes I did)

I had go to the next town, to "Radio Rentals" (I think it was) as that was the ONLY place I could buy one.

Brick and mortar shops have long worked on an "exclusive product" principle.

But no I don't agree with it. But STEAM do it as well. Duke 3D for example used to be on GOG. Now it's ONLY on STEAM and the version has been changed (does not include the map editor).
005AGIMA is offline  
Old 04 October 2019, 06:10   #52
jmmijo
Junior Member
jmmijo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: PDX
Age: 57
Posts: 2,372
Well there you go, I don't agree with Steam doing EXCLUSIVES either, it just really sucks all the way around.

But am I going to swap my 14,000+ Steam Library over to ANY game store front at this point in my life ?!?

Not likely, so I can't be bothered to use other store fronts.
jmmijo is offline  
Old 04 October 2019, 06:21   #53
005AGIMA
Re-loading. Please wait.

005AGIMA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Perth, Australia & England
Age: 45
Posts: 410
14,000 hey?

I look at my 20 GOG games (no there aren't any "0's" missing) and think "And when Am I going to play them again?" haha.
005AGIMA is offline  
Old 04 October 2019, 06:26   #54
jmmijo
Junior Member
jmmijo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: PDX
Age: 57
Posts: 2,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by 005AGIMA View Post
14,000 hey?

I look at my 20 GOG games (no there aren't any "0's" missing) and think "And when Am I going to play them again?" haha.
Exactly, I do have a bit more then 20 in my GoG library too, I just don't buy from them any longer as my card can no longer be used there due to the cc processor they use

And I'm not going to use Paypal.
jmmijo is offline  
Old 04 October 2019, 14:59   #55
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Anubis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Raking Woods...
Age: 47
Posts: 2,849
I almost forgot, my no paypal friend, you don't want to use it, and some of bundle web sites not accepting your CC, so you have to give money to lord Gaben.

GoG.com is anti-retro, with their push to remove all downloads for games found on their platform. Sure, there is still way to find them on internet, for those who want, but this in my books places them in the same rank as Nintendo, who wants to sell you the same thing 100 times.

As for multiple launchers, that is easy to fix - just get LaunchBox, it will start both Steam, GoG.com games, as well all emulation and you can add anything you want to start from it.

[ Show youtube player ]

[ Show youtube player ]

[ Show youtube player ]

ps. I think that my gog.com library is over 300 games, mostly from gog.com/connect though.
Anubis is offline  
Old 04 October 2019, 22:32   #56
ExiE
Registered User

 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: T/C
Posts: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by 005AGIMA View Post
Why NOT use them?

It's not a cult. Steam wont disown you. You can actually use BOTH :O
Ok, I can share my Epic story to add one more reason why NOT to use them.

I tried to buy two exclusive games by Quantic Dream there few months back and I paid with Revolut card. I used the same card on Steam, GOG and Humble before with any problem ever. The money was transfered but the Epic store canceled the payment and send me email that the transaction failed and the money will be send back in few days. WTF. I tried it one more time with the very same result before I contacted their support and asked whats going on. Their answer alongside some worthless advices was to get a PayPal account. No way. To my question what's the problem with my card they answered that they would love to provide more information about their security system. However, in order to try and protect its integrity, they are unable to go into details. No more info. And last bit, they tell me that's completely fine to make my purchase on some other launcher even though they knew the games I wanted are Epic exclusive. Hell no, I got plenty of other games and I am used to wait, after all, I am Amigan.

Last edited by ExiE; 05 October 2019 at 00:25.
ExiE is offline  
Old 07 October 2019, 05:10   #57
005AGIMA
Re-loading. Please wait.

005AGIMA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Perth, Australia & England
Age: 45
Posts: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
I almost forgot, my no paypal friend, you don't want to use it, and some of bundle web sites not accepting your CC, so you have to give money to lord Gaben.

GoG.com is anti-retro, with their push to remove all downloads for games found on their platform. Sure, there is still way to find them on internet, for those who want, but this in my books places them in the same rank as Nintendo, who wants to sell you the same thing 100 times.

As for multiple launchers, that is easy to fix - just get LaunchBox, it will start both Steam, GoG.com games, as well all emulation and you can add anything you want to start from it.

[ Show youtube player ]

[ Show youtube player ]

[ Show youtube player ]

ps. I think that my gog.com library is over 300 games, mostly from gog.com/connect though.
How is GOG anti retro? It's the most DRM free option out there, and most of the time, thier installs for older games work fine on modern platforms which is excellent.

I did have to do some work Getting Quake II to work I think it was,(may have been return to castle wolf) on Windows 10. But only on my ASUS Laptop so it was more a GPU thing (it wasn't expecting an integrated GPU).

If it's because they dont like other sites putting their content online for free....well try going into your local retro computer shop and insisting you can have a game for free "because it's old".

I can see your point if you think the games should now be "abandon-ware" but legally it's a term with very little weight to it, and GOG are still putting in the effort to make old games work on new systems.

And at the end of the day, if they now legally own the licence to sell a title (old or not) then they are well within their legal and moral right.

But lastly....God they're cheap. I just stick Items in a wishlist and wait for notification of a sale. For 90's games, I'm mostly paying about $3 AUD (£1.50). In my book, that IS free

Steam et al imho are anti retro as they often slap DRM on titles that never had it in the past, you can't backup the installer, and you need to sign in to play single player retro titles. Bad steam. bad! :P
005AGIMA is offline  
Old 07 October 2019, 11:38   #58
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

gimbal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Spijkenisse/Netherlands
Age: 38
Posts: 3,469
Agree with most of that, but you can play single player games offline in Steam once installed.
gimbal is offline  
Old 07 October 2019, 13:36   #59
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Anubis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Raking Woods...
Age: 47
Posts: 2,849
Quote:
Originally Posted by 005AGIMA View Post
How is GOG anti retro? It's the most DRM free option out there, and most of the time, thier installs for older games work fine on modern platforms which is excellent.

I did have to do some work Getting Quake II to work I think it was,(may have been return to castle wolf) on Windows 10. But only on my ASUS Laptop so it was more a GPU thing (it wasn't expecting an integrated GPU).

If it's because they dont like other sites putting their content online for free....well try going into your local retro computer shop and insisting you can have a game for free "because it's old".

I can see your point if you think the games should now be "abandon-ware" but legally it's a term with very little weight to it, and GOG are still putting in the effort to make old games work on new systems.

And at the end of the day, if they now legally own the licence to sell a title (old or not) then they are well within their legal and moral right.

But lastly....God they're cheap. I just stick Items in a wishlist and wait for notification of a sale. For 90's games, I'm mostly paying about $3 AUD (£1.50). In my book, that IS free

Steam et al imho are anti retro as they often slap DRM on titles that never had it in the past, you can't backup the installer, and you need to sign in to play single player retro titles. Bad steam. bad! :P
I usually pay that much fore games from last decade, so yes, those games at that price are way overpriced. Lucas Arts game from that period is not worth 10 bucks at full price, even @ local retro shop. Goes for few bucks at best. Just look at my post about Humble Bundle Monthly.

Installers for some retro games are the same for steam and GoG, and they usually include ISO, which you can use to install it yourself in DOSBox (I've done it on multiple games) if you know how to.

And yes, sites removing content due to gog starting to sell games that were abandoned years ago just because some folks can't figure out how to operate DOSBox or any other emulator is anti-retro.

Some of those sites actually collected lots of material that was later released on gog.com as part of purchased product. (manuals etc.)

Since gog.com started, how much DOSBox developed since then?? We used to get updates few times a year, but since then one official update??

Last edited by Anubis; 07 October 2019 at 21:41.
Anubis is offline  
Old 10 October 2019, 19:58   #60
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Anubis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Raking Woods...
Age: 47
Posts: 2,849
Another good game available for free @ Epic:

Surviving Mars
Anubis is offline  
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A600HD epic Bundle Arnie support.Games 9 27 October 2014 18:34
Epic Extra Missions Abandoned Witch request.Old Rare Games 1 04 May 2014 13:58
epic missions Rotr request.Old Rare Games 4 27 June 2005 19:44
vote for best epic side-scroller JudasEZT Retrogaming General Discussion 21 28 November 2004 22:49
Amiga Classix 2 on CD (Epic Marketing) jmmijo MarketPlace 5 24 April 2002 20:42

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 07:12.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Page generated in 0.09018 seconds with 13 queries