English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - Technical

Old 05 March 2019, 10:49   #1
jmmijo

Question Windows Media File Checker/Tester

So other then using VLC to open and look at the media display of the file, are there any command line or gui based apps that will go through a folder and then output to a list or a text file the stats of each media file ?

So I've upsampled most of my media library but I have a feeling that some are still in 720p mode and not the full 1080p mode ?

If this is the case I want to identify these files to try to get them properly upsampled.

Any suggestions would be welcomed.
Old 05 March 2019, 15:33   #2
Daedalus

I think you can get Windows to list the file properties in Explorer if you customise the view for media. It can certainly list things like bitrate and so on.

I do wonder however, what the advantage is of upscaling to 1080p, when a decent display will do a very good job of that on the fly. Seems like a waste of storage to me, but maybe I'm missing something...
Old 05 March 2019, 18:22   #3
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Should be able to create powershell scripts that checks all file sin directory and posts any that have wrong resolution.

Something like this...

https://gallery.technet.microsoft.co...adata-6814c8ba
Old 05 March 2019, 19:54   #4
jmmijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
I think you can get Windows to list the file properties in Explorer if you customise the view for media. It can certainly list things like bitrate and so on.

I do wonder however, what the advantage is of upscaling to 1080p, when a decent display will do a very good job of that on the fly. Seems like a waste of storage to me, but maybe I'm missing something...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
Should be able to create powershell scripts that checks all file sin directory and posts any that have wrong resolution.

Something like this...

https://gallery.technet.microsoft.co...adata-6814c8ba
Thanks for the feedback, I was checking further and did notice that Windows 10 allows you to view files by CONTENT which then shows the display mode, so anything not in 1080p will show something different.
Old 05 March 2019, 20:04   #5
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

all that HD pr0n....
Old 05 March 2019, 20:13   #6
jmmijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
all that HD pr0n....
Indeed
Old 05 March 2019, 20:58   #7
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

He's not joking, this really is his stash.
Old 05 March 2019, 21:00   #8
jmmijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
He's not joking, this really is his stash.
and I now have nearly 4 external, 8TB USB drives to clean up, most of it is fine but just doing the missed files now
Old 06 March 2019, 00:59   #9
jmmijo

The Windows Explorer View by CONTENT is working great, issue is when the display resolution shows 1920 x 1066 is harder to catch
Old 01 November 2019, 21:32   #10
SquawkBox
Speedbump gimme goosebump

Send a message via ICQ to SquawkBox
Hiya, you may give a try to S. Trost's freebie FileList Creator.

Code:
The easiest way is to use the Filelist Creator, which you can download on this website for Windows, macOS and Linux for free. With this program, it is no great effort! It is sufficient to just drag files to the program and your files will be listed automatically. When doing this, it is your choice whether only files, only directories or both, files and directories should be listed.
Of course, despite this simplicity, you can use many optional settings. You can determine which columns are used in which form in the table, you can specify how the design should look like and beyond, you can adjust the output as you need it: as XLSX or ODS spreadsheet for Microsoft Excel or OpenOffice, as HTML website, as an image, a CSV file, or, of course, as plain text.
In addition to general file and folder properties such as name, format, type, size, path, path length, folder level or number of files, also specific properties of audio files (for example, artist, title, album, track number, duration or genre), video files (such as width, height, duration, or FPS), images (like width, height, color depth, or resolution) or text files
(encoding, BOM, line break type, number of lines or characters) can be listed just by checking the corresponding option in the columns list. Which of these columns in which format should be included in your file list, can be determined by yourself.
Old 02 November 2019, 00:07   #11
jmmijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquawkBox View Post
Hiya, you may give a try to S. Trost's freebie FileList Creator.

Code:
The easiest way is to use the Filelist Creator, which you can download on this website for Windows, macOS and Linux for free. With this program, it is no great effort! It is sufficient to just drag files to the program and your files will be listed automatically. When doing this, it is your choice whether only files, only directories or both, files and directories should be listed.
Of course, despite this simplicity, you can use many optional settings. You can determine which columns are used in which form in the table, you can specify how the design should look like and beyond, you can adjust the output as you need it: as XLSX or ODS spreadsheet for Microsoft Excel or OpenOffice, as HTML website, as an image, a CSV file, or, of course, as plain text.
In addition to general file and folder properties such as name, format, type, size, path, path length, folder level or number of files, also specific properties of audio files (for example, artist, title, album, track number, duration or genre), video files (such as width, height, duration, or FPS), images (like width, height, color depth, or resolution) or text files
(encoding, BOM, line break type, number of lines or characters) can be listed just by checking the corresponding option in the columns list. Which of these columns in which format should be included in your file list, can be determined by yourself.
Thanks for the tip, I will check it out.

For now I'm just using the VIEW by CONTENT option under Windows 10 Explorer which does a very good job.

It gives me the video resolution so if it's only 720p or less I can move it to a folder for proper upsampling