britelite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
This thread is deliciously ironic, BTW.
Glad someone else said it before me
Old 18 February 2019, 10:40   #22
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

You can't stick to a phone forever, lots of popular apps need some form of network connection and will eventually not be updatable anymore. But you will need updated versions to keep connecting to the backend.

Thou shalt consume.

Last edited by gimbal; 19 February 2019 at 12:09. Reason: typo
Old 18 February 2019, 22:24   #23
Photon

britelite it is, but my assumption would be that they like it, maybe reliability/Office/lack of strange changes offering no extra functionality. I could definitely see why someone wouldn't want a wafer thin bar of soap, made of glass phone, as long as you can run a reasonably recent OS version (this goes under deprecation for non-technical reasons).

Last edited by Photon; 18 February 2019 at 22:30.
Old 19 February 2019, 09:08   #24
britelite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
britelite it is, but my assumption would be that they like it, maybe reliability/Office/lack of strange changes offering no extra functionality.
Yeah, I used Windows Mobile up until some months ago, and would probably have continued using it for a while longer hadn't my phone died.
Old 19 February 2019, 09:24   #25
Pyromania

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
Why do people use any version of Windows?

You must be a much smarter man than me then. I can't understand why anyone would want a slow, bloated, vulnerable, dumbed-down piece of unusable shit on their computer at all.
LOL! Point well taken.
Old 19 February 2019, 12:16   #26
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Point not well taken, that is just childish 90's hate. At this point regurgitated to the point of self-ridicule.
Old 19 February 2019, 13:23   #27
Hewitson

Nothing childish about that, it's the truth. No one can argue with it.
Old 19 February 2019, 14:15   #28
clebin

I quite like what Microsoft are doing with Windows 10. They're finally stripping back the many layers of legacy user-interface crap in there and trying to consolidate everything.

There's not such a reliance on Wizards, which I hate with a passion. (Next > Next > Next > "Pretending to search the internet for an answer" > "Sorry, can't help you").

The gesture-based crap, 'gems', full-screen start menu and other Windows 8 UI atrocities have gone.

They seem to be trying to put forward a consistent theme instead of a mish-mash of icons and gadgets covering 95/NT, 2000, XP, Vista, 7 and 8. Can a company of Microsoft's size not get someone to redraw some bloody icons?

The ancient control panels are finally being consolidated into something modern. The networking preferences in Windows have become more and more laughable with each version. There's preferences that date to NT 4. There's wizards. The're some weird interface where preferences are accessed by clicking on the arrow between your computer and a park bench. There's a tray icon with pop-up options. There's a modern preferences app that in Windows 8 only contained the most basic settings. That stuff should've been fixed 15 years ago.

They've got a long way to go to fix the mess that Windows has become from XP on, but at least they're trying now. I'm not sure if it'll ever make me switch from Mac & Linux though.
Old 19 February 2019, 22:20   #29
haps
Rumpig

Quote:

It is childish and pathetic. I've had a good chuckle lately at your attempts to assert your opinions as 'truth' or 'fact'.

Last edited by haps; 19 February 2019 at 22:25.
Old 25 September 2019, 03:12   #30
SquawkBox
Speedbump gimme goosebump

Send a message via ICQ to SquawkBox
I finally gave up using Windows Phone as my main handheld device about three months ago. But before that, I had to find a way to transfer my WhatsApp messages from my Lumia 925 to my OnePlus. I followed a tutorial written by some Czech coder, got myself a Windows 10 Redstone 1 powered phone since it was the only way to actually make use of the messages archive (has something to do with the messages being deciphered here and not there). The whole thing was a pain in the neck, and I had to spend a few quids on the dude's app but I just couldn't afford to loose all of my past WhatsApp conversations. Nowadays, I use the second Windows phone (Lumia 830) well... when I need to be on the phone, and the OnePlus as a phablet and occasional gaming device of sorts (Great Giana Sisters android port, here I come!). The Lumia 925 did bear a decent camera, and GPS on it was ace (while it lasted), its AMOLED screen was crap though. On the 830, I'm exaggerating -- although barely, only the transportation app has survived the Windows Mobile platform foreseeable oblivion .

Last edited by SquawkBox; 25 September 2019 at 04:54.
Old 25 September 2019, 03:54   #31
005AGIMA
Re-loading. Please wait.

It was just as I got interested in Windows Phone that it died in the arse as a product.

What's to like?

Less restrictive than iOS
Less intrusive than Android/Google/Big Brother

And I'm sorry, the tile interface was smooth as heck.

But like...what to compare it to?....AGA Amiga's? THere was just zero app development for the platform and THAT kills a product.

I have a Google Pixle XL but only because it was given to me.

I quite fancy one of these next :P
https://www.jbhifi.com.au/products/n...14609975902306

Last edited by 005AGIMA; 25 September 2019 at 03:56. Reason: second photo
Old 25 September 2019, 04:04   #32
005AGIMA
Re-loading. Please wait.

Quote:
MacOS is a work of art.

...so I'm told. I wouldn't know myself because I cant bring myself to spent 2 to 3 times the money on hardware I could get for MUCH cheaper in a PC guise :P

But it's ok....Mac's are "pretty" and that's all that counts.

ok now can we play conkers?

Or shall we debate who would win between Batman, Superman, Alien, Predator, and the Australian Fast bowler....in a bake-off?
Old 25 September 2019, 07:32   #33
redblade
Zone Friend

@005Amiga: For $129 I would have hoped it would of had a minimum of 5MP Autofocus camera. That would be worth getting, especially if the battery last 8 days . I've got a shitty Mobiwire Dakota at the moment. Nearly had it for a year. The 5MP camera on it is shit.
Old 25 September 2019, 10:53   #34
005AGIMA
Re-loading. Please wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redblade View Post
@005Amiga: For $129 I would have hoped it would of had a minimum of 5MP Autofocus camera. That would be worth getting, especially if the battery last 8 days . I've got a shitty Mobiwire Dakota at the moment. Nearly had it for a year. The 5MP camera on it is shit.
yeah TBH that is a let down.

But it makes phone calls.

And it has buttons.

BUTTONS!!!!

I could get a kodak 110 camera to take photos on man.

Now where to get them developed?
Old 11 October 2019, 21:19   #35
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

I have Samsung Galaxy 9+ and what is not to like?

It knows when I'm hungry - tells me where are restaurants around...

It knows when I am supposed to wake up, so it tells me...

It knows when I need to drive home, tells me how bad is traffic or if there are any speed traps... same for getting to work...

It plays my favorite playlist in car...

It asks me to share pictures every time I take one...

It is willing to listen any time you ask something, no matter how stupid it is...

It keeps my Steam library safe by providing safeguard code...

It knows if someone's is at front door, it rings and shows me feed...

No, it is not spaying on me, it just happened to know everything I do or I am just about to do...

Last edited by Anubis; 11 October 2019 at 21:57.
Old 31 October 2019, 18:00   #36
idrougge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
Meh. GIMP is alright if you're stuck and learn to put up with the poor UX design choices that tend to plague FOSS. But the problems with photography under Linux aren't as simple as not having Photoshop (which works ok under WINE, by the way). Basically, it's close to impossible to have a colour-controlled workflow - monitor profiling is hit-and-miss, with poor support for colorimeters, and if you profile under Windows, those profiles aren't always supported properly by the Linux drivers, and sometimes involve extensive faff with configuration files. Then, it appears that applications have no way of knowing (or simply don't bother checking) if a profile is already active on the display output, resulting in profiles being applied twice if you're not careful. Most software simply ignores colour accuracy altogether, so you never know if what you're looking at is real or not.

Scanner support is a similar state, and printer support is pretty awful too, with very few printers having drivers from their manufacturers, and FOSS drivers having the same issues as the rest of the workflow when it comes to colour calibration, with poor and incomplete calibration support, and even if they do support calibration, it's useless because they don't support any more advanced printers so the colours aren't applied correctly anyway. Printing under Linux is fine for printing off a boarding pass or an essay for school, but useless for any serious application.
I think this perfectly illustrates Linux, open source and its problems.

Open source anything is fine if your set of problems and priorities coincide with bearded men who have a fanboy relation to an old text editor. Any problem that they don't themselves have is not a big enough problem to warrant a concerted attempt at a solution, especially not since it may get in the way of their established way of doing things and requires cooperation between several different groups such as kernel developers, driver developers, GUI toolkit developers and end-user application developers.
Old 01 November 2019, 12:56   #37
Hewitson

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge
Open source anything is fine if your set of problems and priorities coincide with bearded men who have a fanboy relation to an old text editor.
Are you saying there's something wrong with being a vim fanboy? Guess you've never used it, then
Old 01 November 2019, 21:08   #38
Paul_s
Stuck in the 80s

I yearn for the day I can throw my mobile phone in the bin and have some peace and quiet They are probably one of the worst inventions created
Old 02 November 2019, 01:48   #39
jmmijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_s View Post
I yearn for the day I can throw my mobile phone in the bin and have some peace and quiet They are probably one of the worst inventions created
I've never owned one and don't see the need since I work from home.

If my inet goes down I can't do any work so there....
Old 02 November 2019, 05:15   #40
SquawkBox
Speedbump gimme goosebump

Send a message via ICQ to SquawkBox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_s View Post
They are probably one of the worst inventions created
Along with Twitter, wouldn't you agree ? I for one still can't figure out the actual purpose of people using of that questionable social app, even more so on a daily basis.