English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 20 November 2019, 13:02   #501
Dunny

V2 was 12MB, yeah. It was the first 3D acceleration card I bought and it blew my socks off.

GLQuake was soooo much fun.
Old 21 November 2019, 01:43   #502
Glen M

I said I'd pull together a list so here it is.

NVIDIA 8500GT PCI-E GPU, not sure of ram
ATI X1650 Pro AGP GPU 512mb DDR2
Silicon Image workstation dvi graphics card. I've no idea if this works but its a pill of crap
ATi rage pro AGP. I think this card is dead, I cannot get it to post but I'll offer it anyway

Osprey 240e video capture card. Its missing the back plate and the breakout cable but is meant to be working.

VIA PCI usb card. Its got 2 USB 1.0 (i think) ports.

Hercules muse xl sound card. I'm really of 2 minds if I should pass this on or not but I'm not using it and someone may as well. Supports front and rear output and has a game port, line in and mic in.

2 sticks of 1GB DDR2
2 sticks of 512mb DDR2
2 sticks of laptop 1gb DDR2
2 stick of laptop 512mb DDR2
Laptop pci-e wifi card by broadcom
Pentium 4 3.06ghz cpu
Amd turion ultra cpu (not sure on speed)
AMD Turion 64 x2 (not sure on speed)

All the above is offered free of charge on a first come first serve basis.

I also have a pentium 3 system but it'd be too heavy to ship, plus I don't have boxes big enough. It won't be free but if anyone wants it and can collect you're more than welcome to take a look.
Old 21 November 2019, 03:28   #503
lesta_smsc

Just purchase a HDMI2AV adaptor off eBay for testing. The output is great on my CRT! Actually as good as composite out from my DOS machine if not better with a more stable picture...

Might have to just think about using emulation via DOSBOX lol. At least this way I'll get the best if MT-32 emulation too.

In two minds whether to sell my DOS laptop now. It's got all the benefits of a desktop but portable and true DOS sound emulation now which is rare for a modern laptop! I use this for programming older hardware via parallel/serial port so may have to look at alternative e.g. USB adaptors if I was to sell This!
Old 22 November 2019, 01:14   #504
nathanm1991
Self Diagnosed Noob!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen M View Post
I said I'd pull together a list so here it is.

NVIDIA 8500GT PCI-E GPU, not sure of ram
ATI X1650 Pro AGP GPU 512mb DDR2
Silicon Image workstation dvi graphics card. I've no idea if this works but its a pill of crap
ATi rage pro AGP. I think this card is dead, I cannot get it to post but I'll offer it anyway

Osprey 240e video capture card. Its missing the back plate and the breakout cable but is meant to be working.

VIA PCI usb card. Its got 2 USB 1.0 (i think) ports.

Hercules muse xl sound card. I'm really of 2 minds if I should pass this on or not but I'm not using it and someone may as well. Supports front and rear output and has a game port, line in and mic in.

2 sticks of 1GB DDR2
2 sticks of 512mb DDR2
2 sticks of laptop 1gb DDR2
2 stick of laptop 512mb DDR2
Laptop pci-e wifi card by broadcom
Pentium 4 3.06ghz cpu
Amd turion ultra cpu (not sure on speed)
AMD Turion 64 x2 (not sure on speed)

All the above is offered free of charge on a first come first serve basis.

I also have a pentium 3 system but it'd be too heavy to ship, plus I don't have boxes big enough. It won't be free but if anyone wants it and can collect you're more than welcome to take a look.
If I Pay for Postage Could I Possibly have the Graphics Cards Please have a Shortage of Retro Parts all of a Sudden haha.

I am After a PCI Graphics Card for a Retro XP Dell Build which only has PCI and Ebay has absolutely Jack :-( Would you know where to look?

Hope All is Well
Old 22 November 2019, 01:16   #505
nathanm1991
Self Diagnosed Noob!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesta_smsc View Post
Welcome back @nathanm1991. Sorry to hear you've been through a rough time but glad that things are moving in a positive direction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 005AGIMA View Post
YAY He's back!!!!! Welcome back buddy!
Thank you For the Welcome Backs Guys Means a Lot!

Have you seen the New old FPS Shooters that have been Coming out Lately OMG!!!
Old 22 November 2019, 01:19   #506
DamienD
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanm1991 View Post
Have you seen the New old FPS Shooters that have been Coming out Lately OMG!!!
Have you guys seen the Diablo IV trailers? Droooool, been a long time coming

...last time I upgraded my laptop was November 2011 and this was really only so that I could play Diablo III.

Told my geeky computer nerd colleague at work that I will finally upgrade again when Diablo IV is released (realistically 2-3 years away)
Old 22 November 2019, 03:35   #507
lesta_smsc

Quote:
I am After a PCI Graphics Card for a Retro XP Dell Build which only has PCI and Ebay has absolutely Jack :-( Would you know where to look?l
Ah... I did have some stored away. I'll have to check. Just to clarify, only PCI or would AGP also work for your set up?
Old 22 November 2019, 04:36   #508
nathanm1991
Self Diagnosed Noob!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesta_smsc View Post
Ah... I did have some stored away. I'll have to check. Just to clarify, only PCI or would AGP also work for your set up?
UnFortunately this Dell Dimemsion 3000 is PCI only and to be Honest have always wanted to see how PCi Cards Perform haha. I have a PCI to PCIE adapter but Cannot for the Life of me to get any of my Old Cards to Fire with it :-(
Old 22 November 2019, 04:37   #509
nathanm1991
Self Diagnosed Noob!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post

...last time I upgraded my laptop was November 2011 and this was really only so that I could play Diablo III.

Told my geeky computer nerd colleague at work that I will finally upgrade again when Diablo IV is released (realistically 2-3 years away)
I am Also Drooling :-)
Old 22 November 2019, 10:59   #510
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Yep. It's ah... more of the same. It's Diablo 3 that looks like Diablo 2.

If the PC version can be played with a controller I'll likely give it a go (and a quick google tells me that it will), but I'm not ecstatic about the lack of gameplay improvements I've seen so far. It's still a whole lot of exchanging blows, yawn.
Old 22 November 2019, 11:28   #511
Glen M

Quote:
UnFortunately this Dell Dimemsion 3000 is PCI only and to be Honest have always wanted to see how PCi Cards Perform haha. I have a PCI to PCIE adapter but Cannot for the Life of me to get any of my Old Cards to Fire with it :-(
Before DDR memory became a standard on graphics cards there is practically no difference between PCI and AGP. The voodoo 3 for example performs equal between the 2 buses.

I don't think you'd get any PCI-E GPU to work on a PCI bus. Those converters are probably more for PCI-E x1 cards.
Old 22 November 2019, 14:09   #512
asymetrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Yep. It's ah... more of the same. It's Diablo 3 that looks like Diablo 2...
Currently playing Black Desert Online

Not retro, but what you think of
Pearl Abyss TRAILERS NEW GAMES | Crimson Desert, Shadow Arena, DokeV, Plan 8
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 22 November 2019, 18:17   #513
nathanm1991
Self Diagnosed Noob!

Quote:
Before DDR memory became a standard on graphics cards there is practically no difference between PCI and AGP. The voodoo 3 for example performs equal between the 2 buses.

I don't think you'd get any PCI-E GPU to work on a PCI bus. Those converters are probably more for PCI-E x1 cards.
Would a GeForce fx5500 Pc I variant be a good choice for this machine it's on xp
Old 22 November 2019, 21:32   #514
rare_j
Zone Friend

Quote:
Screamer 2 on glide looks awful with lots of screen tearing. If you specifically want to play that game run it in software mode. Your early 2000's rig will fly through it.
Well you were right. First track of Screamer 2 is a bit glitchy on 3dfx but tolerable, but all the other tracks after are so bad they’re unplayable.
I stand corrected.
Sort of tempted to look out for a matrox mystique and try it with that.

Does anyone else get this problem? You start a build for the games and it turns out to be such a money and time pit you spend more time chasing that elusive step up in quality rather than playing the game!
This whole era pf pc gaming is littered with banana skins waiting to slip you up!
Old 22 November 2019, 23:02   #515
lesta_smsc

I had an S3 ViRGE and I'm sure it was okay on that. The only issue I had was I couldn't get sound configured properly but I think that was more user error when looking back now. Mind you, this was also in software mode.

For 3DFX there were some patches to avoid image corruption / tearing. May be worth trying that and seeing if you get better gameplay.

According to a post on VOGONS:

"Screamer 2 have 2 3dfx patches.
1) S2_3dfx.exe, 1031 kB. Uses glide2x.ovl. The only trouble with this patch - it not works with Voodoo2 (black screen freeze). V1 and V3 are ok (not sure about V4/V5). It is the known bug. More affected games are: Dreams to Reality, Prost Grand Prix, Tie Break Tennis.
2) s23dfx.exe, 1272 kB. Uses the static link. Works with V1 and V2. Needs environment variables for Voodoo2. Needs disabled SLI. And still can't detect the hardware if the CPU is too fast (similar to all others static linked 3dfx games).

P.S. Use "set SSTV2_SLIDETECT=0" to disable SLI by software."
Old 25 November 2019, 00:55   #516
Mikerochip

Quote:
Originally Posted by 005AGIMA View Post
Also I could be wrong, but wasnt a single Voodoo2 12MB where as the Banshee was 16MB? Could be a blurred memory. But I thought the V2 was only better because it was dedicated AND could be doubled up (2x Voodoo 2's and a 2D card in the 1 machine)
A single Voodoo II was 12MB, but, that was 12mb for 3D. The Banshee was 12MB for 3D, and then 4MB for 2D, so, basically, the same as a Voodoo II and 2D card all in one. But wasn't really any better, that I recall. Maybe 1-2% faster at best, but couldn't be SLI'd. And suffered early on with a few compatibility problems, until patches came out to fix stuff. In most cases.

(There was an 8MB Voodoo II at the time too. 4MB for 3D, and 4MB for 1 texture unit I think, where the better one had 4MB for 3D, then 2x 4MB for each of the two texture units)

I used a Voodoo II and Matrox Millennium 2MB 2D card, then later a Matrox Mystique 220 4MB card for 2D, and finally, added a second Voodoo II.

And same! My cards were in a Pentium 200MMX, that I overclocked I think to 225Mhz.
And eventually replaced with a K6/300, which was only marginally faster to my disappointment, and finally with an AMD K6-2/500.

It served me well until I eventually sold it and got a Pentium III 1Ghz and Voodoo 3 3500.
Old 25 November 2019, 15:49   #517
Glen M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerochip View Post
A single Voodoo II was 12MB, but, that was 12mb for 3D. The Banshee was 12MB for 3D, and then 4MB for 2D, so, basically, the same as a Voodoo II and 2D card all in one. But wasn't really any better, that I recall. Maybe 1-2% faster at best, but couldn't be SLI'd. And suffered early on with a few compatibility problems, until patches came out to fix stuff. In most cases.
The banshee only has 1 texture unit so performance for the most part is slower than the V2 unless the game only uses 1 texture unit in which case the banshee can be slightly faster.
Old 25 November 2019, 16:01   #518
Glen M

Quote:
Originally Posted by rare_j View Post
Well you were right. First track of Screamer 2 is a bit glitchy on 3dfx but tolerable, but all the other tracks after are so bad they’re unplayable.
I stand corrected.
Sort of tempted to look out for a matrox mystique and try it with that.

Does anyone else get this problem? You start a build for the games and it turns out to be such a money and time pit you spend more time chasing that elusive step up in quality rather than playing the game!
This whole era pf pc gaming is littered with banana skins waiting to slip you up!
Screamer 2 is one of those games that I actually prefer the look of in software mode. Its makes the textures a little softer that helps with the age of the game playing it now.

I had a 2mb matrox mystique back in the day. Got it for christmas one year added to my Pentium 100mhz rig (along with 4mb of ram). There was a game I played to death on that machine and loved it but I'll be damned if I can remember the name. You flew a ship over a 3D landscape fighting enemies but also had to land turning the ship into a vehicle to collect people then turn back into a ship to fly them through a gate. What was this called, its killing me.

But yes you are 100% correct. I spend time building a rig to play a game then never play the bloody game. If I could have any rig right now it would be that packard bell executive but this time I'd have 16mb of ram and the 4mb mystique. It would absolutely have to have that same hard drive though. You know the old PC drives that sound like the nostromo starting up.
Old 25 November 2019, 16:02   #519
Glen M

Quote:
Would a GeForce fx5500 Pc I variant be a good choice for this machine it's on xp
[ Show youtube player ]

Phils computer lab to the rescue again. I haven't watched it but it should give you some idea of performance for the 5500 PCI.
Old 25 November 2019, 22:26   #520
nathanm1991
Self Diagnosed Noob!

Quote:
[ Show youtube player ]

Phils computer lab to the rescue again. I haven't watched it but it should give you some idea of performance for the 5500 PCI.
Thank you Glen that has Made me more Confident to get a Pci Card for it now ?