English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 11 September 2019, 15:08   #1
Overmann

Occasional garbled graphics when using AGA/RTG

Hi,

There is an issue that has been bugging me recently. I sometimes get a garbled vertical bar when playing newer games on AGA, or gabled graphics when using RTG. It just started happening at some point and while it's not really 100% of the time with certain games or programs it will happen every time I start them.

Shapeshifter is an example. When logging on to macos all the graphics are garbled. The same thing happends when running Strife on RTG. However when running shapeshifter on AGA everything looks fine. When ruinning strife on AGA i get the typical vertical bar of garbage.

Other games will look great both on AGA and RTG (DoomATTACK is an example). I've uploaded some pictures to imgur. Does this look familiar to anyone?

I'm running an A1200 with Bliz1260, 256mb ram, CV64/3D in FastZII-mode, FastATA IDE and BlizSCSI HDD's.

https://imgur.com/a/9lqwYS3
Old 11 September 2019, 16:00   #2
demolition
Unregistered User

I would think it could be faulty memory/bus/Lisa, at least for the AGA error. The RTG problem looks kinda like the data was flipped byte-wise. Is it possible some big/little endian switch needs to be changed somewhere?
Old 11 September 2019, 17:26   #3
Overmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
I would think it could be faulty memory/bus/Lisa, at least for the AGA error. The RTG problem looks kinda like the data was flipped byte-wise. Is it possible some big/little endian switch needs to be changed somewhere?
What's an endian switch? Is there a way to test memory/bus/lisa without poking around with electrical tools and gadgets? Perhaps a program or something? :P
Old 11 September 2019, 18:09   #4
Hedeon
PPC Hacker

Looks like an endian problem indeed on rtg. it is were ABAB should be BABA (16 bit) or ABCD should be DCBA (32 bit) or vice versa The bytes need to be swapped. Not sure how to fix that. Driver issue I would think.

Comes in two forms color info (colors are wrong) or data (the banding you see).

At least that is what my experience is.
Old 11 September 2019, 18:18   #5
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overmann View Post
What's an endian switch? Is there a way to test memory/bus/lisa without poking around with electrical tools and gadgets? Perhaps a program or something? :P
I normally use MBRTEST-2 to test memory:
ftp://ftp:any@grandis.nu/TheZone/fil...M1230XA-101%20[MBRtest%20memory%20test%20software%20for%20Akira].zip

Regarding endianness, I thought that perhaps the Picasso96 prefs tool could have some endian setting somewhere so try to poke around in there. Either that or you are using the wrong driver.
Old 14 September 2019, 23:21   #6
Overmann

Reinstalling P96 solved the issue with RTG! Thanks!
I've tested the ram and it looks good, but the AGA-artifacts are still present.