Old 08 October 2018, 09:37   #1
jedvard

Pirates version difference?

Anyone knows the difference? between
Pirates v832.02 & Pirates v832.04
Old 08 October 2018, 12:56   #2
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

I have no idea, but given that there was only one revision and the first version doesn't seem to contain any major bugs......I'd say, probably not a lot. Probably the easiest way to find out what the differences are between revisions of a particular game when it comes to MicroProse games is to find the addendum included with the revision that gives info. about it (sometimes one existed on paper with the retail release or perhaps in a text file on the boot disk). Alternatively, you can compare the manuals of the original and revised versions. IIRC, most (if not all) MicroProse games come with release dates in the inside cover of the manuals.

HOL contains the Pirates! manual for v832.02 (first edition, May '87), so the trick will be to find the manual for v832.04 (presumably marked as the second edition in the inside cover) of Pirates! released by MicroProse. The Kixx XL budget version should contain the manual for the final revision also.

A real longshot might be to poke around a Pirates! fan site like Hooked on Pirates! for the answer or simply ask on the forums there. That fan site looks like its geared up to PC players, though, but you never no your luck. Hopefully there's something amongst these suggestions that will aid you in your quest.....good luck!

Last edited by DrBong; 11 October 2018 at 13:10. Reason: Fixed typos + sentences!
Old 11 October 2018, 08:02   #3
jedvard

Thanx for your answer
I´ve cheked around and cant find anyone that can tell the difference so i guess it will remain in the shadows
Old 11 October 2018, 13:14   #4
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

No problems, sometimes the answers to mysteries in life reveal themselves in time!

I have 2-3 boxed copies of Pirates! somewhere here at home. If I find that I have the final release v832.04, I'll let you know if it has an addendum that details any changes from the first edition v832.02.
Old 13 October 2018, 06:59   #5
jedvard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBong View Post
No problems, sometimes the answers to mysteries in life reveal themselves in time!

I have 2-3 boxed copies of Pirates! somewhere here at home. If I find that I have the final release v832.04, I'll let you know if it has an addendum that details any changes from the first edition v832.02.

thanx alot